DSD Capability

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I can apply DSP to the PCM (for various purposes) but not to DSD.

Another excellent point. I didn't even get into that early on because I didn't have the capability then. I do now and use DSP along with REW to correct the room response.

I would have to suggest that if you can't hear a difference between native DSD and DSD converted to PCM perhaps you are using an amplifier that uses DSP. Digital signal processing requires conversion to PCM. Any benefits of DSD would be lost.

To take this a step further, I can easily hear the difference between using room correction and not using it. Its easy to A/B that because its easily turned off. I cant imagine there could be that degree of improvement in going from PCM back to DSD. The inability to use DSP would be a major obstacle for me in doing that now. If you aren't using DSP for room correction you are at a significant disadvantage. I believe in it so much I'm looking to upgrade to a Dirac enabled pre/pro in the near future.

Last edited:
Exploring my personal library and I looked at my DFF vs my DSF SACD rips.
All my DFF rips just happen to be Mobile Fidelity.
All my DSF rips are all the rest of the SACD's with many MOFI DSF rips.

Why, when I use the exact same ripping process these select 31 MOFI albums rip to DFF?
When all other SACD's including other MOFI's rip to DSF?
There is no option to include metadata with DFFs where as there is metadata available with DSF. You apparently don't have an issue playing DFF's with JRiver though. The JRiver library function must be totally different than what comes with Kodi. Kodi won't load untagged files into its library. And the Kodi library function is its biggest selling point. That's probably why its been slow to integrate a DSD plugin.

There is no option to include metadata with DFFs where as there is metadata available with DSF. You apparently don't have an issue playing DFF's with JRiver though. The JRiver library function must be totally different than what comes with Kodi. Kodi won't load untagged files into its library. And the Kodi library function is its biggest selling point. That's probably why its been slow to integrate a DSD plugin.
Right, my JRiver plays everything just fine. I go PC with JRiver USB out to Exasound38 MCH DAC and whether I play a DFF or a DSF the DAC reads it as DSD.
Sounds like I am fine no matter what don't need to chase another rabbit hole. But I do like learning.

Another excellent point. I didn't even get into that early on because I didn't have the capability then. I do now and use DSP along with REW to correct the room response.

To take this a step further, I can easily hear the difference between using room correction and not using it. Its easy to A/B that because its easily turned off. I cant imagine there could be that degree of improvement in going from PCM back to DSD. The inability to use DSP would be a major obstacle for me in doing that now. If you aren't using DSP for room correction you are a a significant disadvantage. I believe in it so much I'm looking to upgrade to a Dirac enabled pre/pro in the near future.
The simple reason I have converted all my DSD media to PCM (88.2 kHz to render any losses negligible) is because I manage my library with FB2K. With its huge library of plugins it can playback anything you throw at it, but the DSD plugin is a CPU hog and my rather old notebook cannot handle anything else without risking interruptions in the audio stream. Just a convenient compromise.

Last edited:
Need to convert my SACDs to DSF Files , what do I need or is there anyone in the USA that I can send them to?.
I use the OPPO 105 with the appropriate settings in the key (thumb drive). Stereo SACD is a little quicker than MCH. I would say from start to finish one discs takes about 15-20 mins.
Load disc>rip>from your PC folder make sure your file name is what you want>copy to your place, mine is a NAS>from the NAS import to in my case JRiver>make sure all tagged correctly>listen.
Sonore site (what I use)

Due to the work load of ripping SACD to DSF, I am sure someone would want to get paid, depending on how many discs where involved?

Attachments

• Ripping SACDs using an Oppo 103 or 105 (3).pdf
    38 KB · Views: 218
I am playing the Doors Blu-Ray quad mix from the Singles CD set through an OPPO 103 and a Marantz 1609 and a 5.1 set-up. But I only hear two-channels; the other two channels are playing faintly in the background. Thoughts?

I am playing the Doors Blu-Ray quad mix from the Singles CD set through an OPPO 103 and a Marantz 1609 and a 5.1 set-up. But I only hear two-channels; the other two channels are playing faintly in the background. Thoughts?
You may have something set up wrong in the settings. If you are using the analog outputs make sure that you are connected to surround left and right not back left and right. I made that mistake at first and had no rear output. Counter intuitive IMHO but the back speakers should not be selected for 5.1 just the (side) surrounds.

Back