DSD Capability

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, file based playback may be revelatory, even here, without the noise and error correction of a spinning disc and mechanism. It's one reason why Oppos are being used as stand alone dacs (realizing also that file-based playback is much more convenient too :) ).
Revelatory? I disagree.

What noise? The noise of the disc mechanism as it plays? Maybe. But that would be one noisy player. There is typically some clunking prior to play, but once play starts, any noise during play is pretty negligible. And if the drive holding the files were in the same location as that disc player, I'd put my money on the HD being even louder.

Your error correction comment assumes that the ripping mechanism (often as not, the same Oppo device as used for disc playback) is more error free than the disc playback mechanism.

The reason Oppos are used as standalone DACs is because they have a decent MC DAC and there is no other reasonably priced MC DAC to be had on the market.

Don't get me wrong, I rip everything and wouldn't have it any other way.

Microsoft get with the program please! Anyway to do it through an Apple OS?
The point is not to rely on the OS options but to get an app or program that is targeted at what you require. (Apple OS ignore DSD.)
Since I don't yet utilize JRiver; I need to read through this thread again to see if it can be accomplished (pushed) through something like JRiver?
Of course but I am running my MacMini under Windows. :sneaky:

The point is not to rely on the OS options but to get an app or program that is targeted at what you require. (Apple OS ignore DSD.)

Of course but I am running my MacMini under Windows. :sneaky:
Well, I know some of youse guys have lots of storage through NAS, but I'm wondering if a Powered USB tree Hub could be plugged into the front of my oppo, to utilize the song shuffle feature with multiple 2TB SSDs on the Hub? I've got so much stuff now that I have separate SSDs for BD, DVD, conversions, up-mixes, SACD MC, SACD stereo... etc.

Well, I know some of youse guys have lots of storage through NAS, but I'm wondering if a Powered USB tree Hub could be plugged into the front of my oppo, to utilize the song shuffle feature with multiple 2TB SSDs on the Hub? I've got so much stuff now that I have separate SSDs for BD, DVD, conversions, up-mixes, SACD MC, SACD stereo... etc.
Why not? My Oppos see whatever is connected. The problem is how long it will take for Oppo to rescan the drives if there are any changes/swaps made.

Since I don't yet utilize JRiver; I need to read through this thread again to see if it can be accomplished (pushed) through something like JRiver?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/jriver-media-center-online-resources-guides.23917/

It will, admittedly I've a Sony Universal player, but I can play native DSD stereo and multichannel (as well as FLAC and LPCM) from Jriver via DLNA. It did take a bit of footering to get it to work (editing the file associations so that the Sony would recognise DSF as DSD) but it once I did this, it's seamless.

It will, admittedly I've a Sony Universal player, but I can play native DSD stereo and multichannel (as well as FLAC and LPCM) from Jriver via DLNA. It did take a bit of footering to get it to work (editing the file associations so that the Sony would recognise DSF as DSD) but it once I did this, it's seamless.
Thanks for the reply, but man I had to seriously read between the lines with stuff like:
parse the SinkProtocolInfo
renderers DMRA report
mimetype issue
- definitely above my noggin grade!
But sure, I think it’s time for me to give JRiver a go.

Thanks for the reply, but man I had to seriously read between the lines with stuff like:
parse the SinkProtocolInfo
renderers DMRA report
mimetype issue
- definitely above my noggin grade!
But sure, I think it’s time for me to give JRiver a go.

I think that's more to do with the foibles of my bluray player, rather than JRiver. But that the software can accommodate this, and that Jriver actively responded to my query says much about their product and the support they provide. I mean, as far as I can tell, no-one else has encountered this issue. Yet they were happy to help. I suspect that you'll find the process much more straightforward.

If I want to listen to Stereo DSD, I just use my Denon USB300 DAC which supports DSD over USB directly attached to my PC. It's really good.

I just found out that the $ 180 panny DP-UB150-K has gapless mch flac and dsf playback. Seems like an entry-level solution but the audio section is the same as in the more expensive models.

Oppo knew about this problem and had a solution for it. It drove me crazy because I couldn't see any downloads on my computer from the Oppo, whether it was PCM or DSD. Go to their website and look for this problem. It definitely is a Microsoft restriction. Their solution was to download a program that will allow you access. I think that it was called oShare.

Oppo knew about this problem and had a solution for it. It drove me crazy because I couldn't see any downloads on my computer from the Oppo, whether it was PCM or DSD. Go to their website and look for this problem. It definitely is a Microsoft restriction. Their solution was to download a program that will allow you access. I think that it was called oShare.
Can you provide a specific link/pointer to this issue? I have used several Oppos over the years with several Win-based systems and never encountered the problem.

So I bought a WD 2TB Elements USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, placed some stereo and multi channel dsf files on it and plugged into into the Oppo. For the most part it works great.

I have however found a couple glitches, on some albums the cover art does not display. I usually use dBpoweramp for my id tags, however it does not work on dsf files, so I'm using Mp3tag for those. I rechecked the tags on the albums that didn't show up the cover art and the tags are all there, the jpg cover art is also in the folder, labelled as folder.jpg!

Another thing I came to realize is that I can't edit or remix the dsf files like I can with pcm (flac or wav). Not a problem for stereo or for 4.0 Quad releases, but for 5.1 you have to rely on the machine to mixdown the files to quad. Much of the time that isn't a problem, but some just don't sound right to me without special mixing. I tried a SACD rip of Scorpions & Berliner Philharmoniker - "Moment Of Glory" expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't. The vocals seemed much too low, buried in the mix. Now I wonder how the Oppo mixes in the center channel is it -3dB down in the front or do they mix with half voltage to each of front (L&R) channel, which would be -6dB (a bit too low). Or perhaps SACD does not get mixed at all by the player? I'll have to do more investigating to try to find out.

That makes me think of an idea I had years ago about building an analogue channel mixer to convert 5.1/7.1 down to quad. It would give the option of mixing the center and sub into the front only or into all the channels and would include level controls to adjust the mix, you could adjust things on the fly and try out different setting easily. I remember years ago having a problem with one DVD-A disc, Doors "LA Woman" (I think), the center would not downmix (other discs worked fine), as I recall it was only one particular player that had that problem.

So I bought a WD 2TB Elements USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, placed some stereo and multi channel dsf files on it and plugged into into the Oppo. For the most part it works great.

I have however found a couple glitches, on some albums the cover art does not display. I usually use dBpoweramp for my id tags, however it does not work on dsf files, so I'm using Mp3tag for those. I rechecked the tags on the albums that didn't show up the cover art and the tags are all there, the jpg cover art is also in the folder, labelled as folder.jpg!

Another thing I came to realize is that I can't edit or remix the dsf files like I can with pcm (flac or wav). Not a problem for stereo or for 4.0 Quad releases, but for 5.1 you have to rely on the machine to mixdown the files to quad. Much of the time that isn't a problem, but some just don't sound right to me without special mixing. I tried a SACD rip of Scorpions & Berliner Philharmoniker - "Moment Of Glory" expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't. The vocals seemed much too low, buried in the mix. Now I wonder how the Oppo mixes in the center channel is it -3dB down in the front or do they mix with half voltage to each of front (L&R) channel, which would be -6dB (a bit too low). Or perhaps SACD does not get mixed at all by the player? I'll have to do more investigating to try to find out.

That makes me think of an idea I had years ago about building an analogue channel mixer to convert 5.1/7.1 down to quad. It would give the option of mixing the center and sub into the front only or into all the channels and would include level controls to adjust the mix, you could adjust things on the fly and try out different setting easily. I remember years ago having a problem with one DVD-A disc, Doors "LA Woman" (I think), the center would not downmix (other discs worked fine), as I recall it was only one particular player that had that problem.
What oppo model are you using @par4ken?

I can get all my dsf files to show the album jpgs if they are labeled "folder.jpg" but also check those that are stubborn in Mp3tag that you properly associate the folder.jpg file by having the files highlighted and then remember to "save" when all the songs are highlighted. That usually does it for me (205 model) but if not, then I don't know or maybe something happens during the ripping process?

Also, I believe the oppo doesn't mix down the songs in 5.1 but just strips out the other channels; but yes please check that out :unsure:

Back