DSD Download questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber 1

701 Club - QQ All-Star
So thinking of adding a DAC with 32-bit/384kHz and supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 along with DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz. So a few questions although somewhat certain of the answer(s) but inquiring minds would like to know :

1) When one buys a DSD download album does he actually own It? meaning can I sell it like I would with a SACD disc?
2) Is the restriction on area available to sell to by in this case Acoustic Sounds which per the link below only will sell this to parties in the USA, is this a restriction place on the vendor by Sony?

Michael Jackson-Thriller-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

Yes it is, that is why they are a "download" question was actual ownership which unlike the example given, does one actually own a none physical format.

When one buys a DSD download album does he actually own It? meaning can I sell it like I would with a SACD disc?
No, its a digital file and not physical media.
Really, I don't understand why?
Like a physical media, as long as you don't keep a copy I don't see a difference.
OTOH, I personally don't understand nor agree with the intellectual property laws in this area.
If I paid for something, I own it and will do as I please with it.
Also, when I sold / repaired a car or motorcycle to you, you paid me for it once, not every time you use it after that.

So thinking of adding a DAC with 32-bit/384kHz and supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 along with DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz. So a few questions although somewhat certain of the answer(s) but inquiring minds would like to know :

1) When one buys a DSD download album does he actually own It? meaning can I sell it like I would with a SACD disc?
2) Is the restriction on area available to sell to by in this case Acoustic Sounds which per the link below only will sell this to parties in the USA, is this a restriction place on the vendor by Sony?

Good for you in making a decision to buy a DSD playable DAC. DSD 512 is the newest offering of playback, maybe there is one in your budget, and then of course the DSD MCH DAC's are a bonus.
Ripping stereo SACD and MCH SACD into DSF files and playing them back thru DSD capable DAC's sound very nice and a huge increase in sonic quality. However you did not ask this.
In regards to selling a DSF file to a person that would be willing to pay you money for that file, is an unknown to me as I have never done it. I do understand your point of "if I paid for it I should be able to sell it" . I would say tread lightly. I do know there are some vinyl rip sites where a person rips a high quality LP with good gear, cartridge, etc. and sells the file vinyl rip as a digital FLAC file. Seems like the same thing you are asking.
Good luck with your new adventure.

Really, I don't understand why?
Like a physical media, as long as you don't keep a copy I don't see a difference.

I've searched and can't find a totally conclusive answer, seems out there in net land opinions vary, but ya you would think if you "buy" it then you own it and if you sold it and did not make a copy
you should be golden. Kinda seems stupid if you are buying $25 files and can't truly own them.

Since I haven't bought a file or a high end DAC yet I'd sure like to know for sure on the issue because I can buy vinyl and if I don't like the album well I can always sell it.

Good for you in making a decision to buy a DSD playable DAC. DSD 512 is the newest offering of playback, maybe there is one in your budget, and then of course the DSD MCH DAC's are a bonus.
Ripping stereo SACD and MCH SACD into DSF files and playing them back thru DSD capable DAC's sound very nice and a huge increase in sonic quality. However you did not ask this.
In regards to selling a DSF file to a person that would be willing to pay you money for that file, is an unknown to me as I have never done it. I do understand your point of "if I paid for it I should be able to sell it" . I would say tread lightly. I do know there are some vinyl rip sites where a person rips a high quality LP with good gear, cartridge, etc. and sells the file vinyl rip as a digital FLAC file. Seems like the same thing you are asking.
Good luck with your new adventure.

Thinking of testing the DAC waters with a good local unit, Rips of my current disk are a definite plan already, I'm more wondering about buy a DSD file for retail stores
and not making a rip from it

Thinking of testing the DAC waters with a good local unit, Rips of my current disk are a definite plan already, I'm more wondering about buy a DSD file for retail stores
and not making a rip from it

If your asking about purchasing DSD files from the 3 company's I use, HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, and Native DSD (they are the big 3) my purchase is flawless, it is the same file (DSF) as a SACD rip, bit rates change from stereo or MCH.
If you or I purchased from these sites, including FLAC's and sold that same file at a later date would they legally have a problem with it, if they found out? I don't know.
It is nice when purchasing from NativeDSD they include an entire PDF with pictures liner notes, etc. The other companys rarely do that.
I agree with J-Pup, Brian Moura would have a great answer I am sure.

If you or I purchased from these sites, including FLAC's and sold that same file at a later date would they legally have a problem with it, if they found out? I don't know.

yes that is what I am trying to determine, mostly for the purpose of knowing if the file I would own ( no ripping involved) has a value or if it is basically of no value once I own it.

yes that is what I am trying to determine, mostly for the purpose of knowing if the file I would own ( no ripping involved) has a value or if it is basically of no value once I own it.
I am going to answer not as a legal expert but as a devils advocate.

If you buy a download, the value is in the music, and your ability to listen to it in high resolution.

The problem with anything that is digitally transferable is that it is too easy to "cheat." One can sell the content and still keep an identical copy for oneself.

In contrast, even a CD has physical properties that are not digitally transferable - ie: the physical factory pressed "silver" redbook CD. And the factory printed artwork. These may be copied and shared, but copies are not exactly as produced by industry, and thus a copy has less value to a collector than an original. The music may be identical, but some people like the factory produced product. Like people wanting a 45 rpm vinyl disc of a song that is readily available in much better quality. They want the physical version of that song or songs that was factory pressed. Therein lies the value.

With a purely digital release, the same is not true. A copy is exactly the same as the purchased item. Both in audible content and digital artwork if any. Therefore, there is no way to insure that a copy which is sold is not retained by the seller. There is no physical transfer of product. In this way, the person who resells a digital copy could easily become a distributor, rather than a one time seller. In the broader digital arena I suspect any "honor system" is meaningless. Plenty of people are willing to sell what does not belong to them. That's just the world we live in. This is the definition of music piracy.

With DSD I suspect the answer IS down to the honor system. As a user of DSD files you are in a limited marketplace to start, and there may be a sense among users of DSD that it is not cool to file share, because if you undercut the market it will not take long before industry says "screw it" and decides not to offer DSD files for sale.

So your question is, do you own the content and can you resell it? Technically no. Because there is no physical transfer of goods. But selling would be easy to do, and it would be hard to prevent.

So to sum up, a DSD purchaser would look to find the value of such a purchase - not in the "ownership" of that music - but rather in the ability to hear that music in pristine quality. In most cases you can hear the music for free in advance, thereby allowing you to make an informed buying decision, rather than "buying blind" and taking a chance that you will not like the content. So this theory suggests that there would be no need to resell the music you have chosen to purchase in DSD quality. You already knew what you were buying.

This is not a legal opinion. This is not even my opinion. This is just an idea of how I suspect industry looks upon the issue.

Just as a post-script, my understanding is that within the iTunes universe you do not own the right to share or resell your purchased files. Of course people with technical acumen do it, but I am pretty sure that contractually it is forbidden.

I hope this helps.

To answer your second question - again speculation - since Acoustic Sounds sells internationally for most of it's products, I can only assume that the rights-holder is responsible for limiting the geographic distribution. It is similar to DVD region coding. Seems a bit silly in this day and age, but someone is still looking at different geographies as different markets.

In a way I think this just does more to encourage illegitimate file sharing. If I am a patron who is willing to pay for a product, but the vendor is unwilling to sell it to me, and I can easily obtain it elsewhere, the temptation to do so increases. Now add the fact that the alternative is cost free. To me it is just a bad business model. But I don't own a record company.

Thinking of testing the DAC waters with a good local unit, Rips of my current disk are a definite plan already,
If your looking for a DAC don't get sucked into the audiophool world of "the more it costs, the better it sounds". DAC design has been a solved problem for a few decades now and world class sounding&measuring DACs can be purchased for a couple hundred bucks unless you want 1/2 thick custom machined aluminum cases and all that. Stop by ASR and and read up on all the stuff that's been measured and reviewed there.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/

To answer your second question - again speculation - since Acoustic Sounds sells internationally for most of it's products, I can only assume that the rights-holder is responsible for limiting the geographic distribution. It is similar to DVD region coding. Seems a bit silly in this day and age, but someone is still looking at different geographies as different markets.

In a way I think this just does more to encourage illegitimate file sharing. If I am a patron who is willing to pay for a product, but the vendor is unwilling to sell it to me, and I can easily obtain it elsewhere, the temptation to do so increases. Now add the fact that the alternative is cost free. To me it is just a bad business model. But I don't own a record company.

Yes that is what I would think too, what makes it even more of an outdated concept is the people who do not live in the USA can buy items that are not allowed to be bought from people
outside the USA but they will sell the item to a person outside the USA as long as it is shipped to a USA address end point, yet the retailer is clearly very aware they buyer is not in the USA.
This does also foster the concept of cheating or usurping the original intent.

On the resale of a non ripped digital file I would agree also but if the file is sold with a download code to the original purchaser with a sale agreement to not rip a file for resale in this digital age
it is not hard to track down a person selling ripped copies as 99% of such sales would be online and once a second rip was sold it would be possible to suspect that person of being
involved with an unlawful activity. My guess is the industry is to lazy to surf the net for such protection and enforcement.

If your looking for a DAC don't get sucked into the audiophool world of "the more it costs, the better it sounds".

Agreed, I'm killing two birds with one stone, with a preamp with a built in DAC, so it's a case of wanting better preamp function too.

Back