DSD (SACD) SATA drive for desktop tower?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm still a stubborn holdout that refuses to buy into DSD hardware. I invested in high quality PCM AD & DA converters. The Bitches Brew release may have started a crack forming...

I suppose could get an Oppo machine with digital only (no DSD DA converters) for ripping - convert to PCM after - but it still feels wrong.

Does anyone know of a way to install a backwards spinning SACD compatible drive to a standard SATA connection in a desktop tower?

In short: No way.
The best option (and the only one...) is rip the sacd with a Oppo/Pioneer into a sata hard disk drive.

PS: only Nintendo had a backward spinning disc, SACD as a physical media is like a DVD disc, with a special formatting.

Oh I had that confused? Oops.
Figured that but thought I'd randomly ask for the heck of it. You never know. :)

Hmmm... If this is more a standard DVD drive this must be a drive level firmware thing right? And said firmware is locked down and only distributed to license holders who paid in who make the hardware disc players? I wonder how locked down that might be... Could this be as simple as flashing new firmware to a standard DVDR drive? It could require reprogramming a rom chip with the programmer hardware which is much more difficult (or at least setup intensive). Or could this simply be a unique disc format and drive firmware isn't even involved? Anybody ever try to dd copy from an SACD directly?

Back