Pink Floyd DSOTM - Sony Japan 7-inch 5.1 SACD coming 4/19!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From description on CDJapan site:
"Features 5.1ch Surround Sound and remastering. Japanese original mini LP reissue of "The Dark Side of the Moon" from Pink Floyd. Uses the Hybrid Multichannel SACD masters released by Analogue Productions in 2021."

Not sure about the mastering, but it is the exact same mix released originally on SACD back in 2003.
The 2021 Analogue Productions SACD uses the exact same masters on both CD and SACD layers as the 2003 Capitol SACD. There has only ever been one hybrid SACD produced, just in different packaging/labeling over three different editions (2003 Capitol, 2021 AP, and now 2023 Sony Japan 7").

Any idea where this 5.1 mix comes from? Listening to it now, and sounds great, but have so many previous DSOM SACD's, Immersion Box Set, etc., I'm having a hard time telling if this is just a previously released 5.1 mix, or is it a new 5.1 mix from the 50th Anniversary Box set? Just got this new release from Japan and it's really a beautiful SACD!!! Tons of extras. Still have my 50th Anniversary Box set waiting sealed waiting for time to listen to the Atmos mix.
I thought it was advertised as the same mix as the Acoustic Sounds multichannel SACD…..

One may consider, if one can't tell the difference, then maybe it is not worth it ?

Last edited:
One may consier, if one can't tell the difference, then maybe it is not worth it ?
Agreed. Not going to get the 60th Anniversary edition unless it has a 3D Virtual video that creates holographic images while it plays... and a built in laser light show that plays on your ceiling during playback...and automatically pours you a nice glass of your favorite cab :ROFLMAO:

I’ll pass. I already have more versions of DSOTM than I care to admit. And if there is nothing new, musically, on this disc why bother.
I’m still trying to decide if I want to spend big $$ on the 50th anniversary edition, just to get the Atmos blu-ray.

I’ll pass. I already have more versions of DSOTM than I care to admit. And if there is nothing new, musically, on this disc why bother.
I’m still trying to decide if I want to spend big $$ on the 50th anniversary edition, just to get the Atmos blu-ray.
I bought it and it’s still sitting in the box sealed, and only bought it for the Atmos version. I’m afraid from some of the reviewer is that it’s not gonna be all that. It too will be my last.DSOM PURCHASE. NOW, HOW ABOUT A WISH YOU WERE HERE, ATMOS!🤣🤣🤣

Back