DSOTM SQ vinyl version: Australian

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
I'm a proud owner of a vinyl quad copy of DSOTM, aussie version.
During my daily listening I noticed something I didn't before.
At the very end of "The Great Gig In The Sky" during the last piano chord fade out there's a speed change as if someone pushed a tape speed button which makes the last chord sound weird.
It goes fast then it slows very quickly.

Does it happen on other versions or is my copy the only one with that "mistake"?

This is an inherent feature of DSOTM and is on every variation I have ever heard, both stereo and quad. I believe it was a purposeful pitch change. I smile every time I hear it. Nice touch, IMHO.

the piano chord bend is allso on my CD and stereo LP, i suppose it is intentional, and i like it :)

Cai is right, it's on every version of "Dark Side of the Moon" that ever was.

I remember when I was younger, I had made a cassette tape of my Dad's copy of the Stereo LP, and would listen to it at school. Everytime I heard that odd speed change I had assumed that the turntable's pitch adjustment had been bumped while I was making the tape.

That has always been there. Guess someone was just having some fun with the tape machine. Of course these days it would have been edited out by some suit who graduated with honours in Marketing.:mad:

Back