DSotM underground DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason, the segue from "Us and Them" and "Any Colour You Like" has been changed a tiny bit. In my copy of the SQ LP, there is a slight hesitation when compared to the Stereo version of the album. This segue has been "retightened" by the creators of this DVD.

The same seems to be the case between "Any Colour" and "Brain Damage." Has anyone else noticed this?

Hope I have the right one. Mine really pushes DTS; however, it sounds like a quad mix.

Don C said:
Well I have set the speaker settings to large, and selected none for the subwoofer, for both the player and processor setup. The player is a Denon DVD-1920, the processor is a Sherwood AVP-9080. The processor is in six channel direct mode, which is normal for SACD and DVD-A. I don't think that it can combine the bass from the .1 channel in this mode. No digital processing takes place in the unit unless you select a two channel source with a surround mode selected, or a digital source.
The Denon-1920 does include a bass management for DVD-A and SACD (thus with analog outputs of course, even if this player has HDMI outputs).

So you can route the subwoofer signal (.1) to your other speakers depending on their capabilities.

If you have already selected your main speakers as "large" in the Denon setup, and no subwoofer, then automatically the digital bass management is routing the .1 channel to the main speakers (and not to the surround speakers if they are set to small) in the analog signal delivered to your Sherwood amplifier.

You can't avoid bass management unless you tell in the Denon set-up that you have all the 6 speakers (incl. subwoofer) and that all of them are set to LARGE. Then absolutely no bass management would occur but crap result would be to expect if you don't have really large surround speakers and large center speaker and a subwoofer.

However, please be sure that you have selected the 5.1ch AUDIO OUT option in the Audio Mode definition of the Denon set-up ! By default, this is HDMI which is selected. And I've read in the Denon-1920 manual that when HDMI is selected, it can limit the output of the analog 5.1ch output. However, when 5.1ch AUDIO OUT is selected, the HDMI output is totally disabled.

Hope this helps.

(as far as I'm concerned, I have a Denon-2900 with no HDMI outputs anyway ;) )

elias said:
Enter "dsotm dvda" at google and feel lucky...

Thank you for that. I have not yet had a chance to listen to the entire thing yet, but based on what I've sampled, I agree with those who say this is the real thing.

I'd sure like to learn the story behind it--it's gotta be an "inside job". Is this Alan Parsons' revenge or the work of someone else with access to the vaults?

Here's hoping that this encourages EMI and Pink Floyd to do an official release, for which I'd happily pay...again.

atrocity said:
Thank you for that. I have not yet had a chance to listen to the entire thing yet, but based on what I've sampled, I agree with those who say this is the real thing.

I'd sure like to learn the story behind it--it's gotta be an "inside job". Is this Alan Parsons' revenge or the work of someone else with access to the vaults?

Here's hoping that this encourages EMI and Pink Floyd to do an official release, for which I'd happily pay...again.

I'm curious about the story as well, although I think much of it can be told by looking at the cover artwork included with the disk (if it came with your copy.)

Of course, that's assuming that the cover art is all accurate.

MC Maniac said:
After having some 'technical difficulties', I got things sorted out..

My, this was worth the learning curve..:)

Sound quality is better than I expected - and on a par with the SACD..

But the mix - fabulous - guess my multiple SACD copies will be getting a rest..

Also thanks to who ever went to the all the effort to do this..
hmmm....

Would someone PM me too (regarding a copy)? Greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

veedub said:
Would someone PM me too (regarding a copy)? Greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Having listened to this a couple of times now, it really puts my old SQ decode to shame, and I remember thinking that was amazing the first time I heard it.

The difference is honestly like that of watching a black and white TV vs. watching a HDTV.

Don C said:
Forgive my noobie question. I am playing this tonight, and it's fantastic. But I'm not hearing any bass. My main speakers normally have fantastic bass. It sounds like they filtered out the bass from the four main channels and sent it all to the .1 channel. Is this correct? Is this normal for DVD audio discs? I guess that I need a subwoofer. I tried the DTS and DD tracks, but they both cut out after a minute or so, the hirez track is the only one that plays all the way through for me.
I've listened to this disc and the main channels are without a doubt full range. It sounds to me like the LFE channel uses a mixdown/filter approach. I suggest turning off bass management on your player and seeing what kind of results you get. If you have TRULY full-range speakers, the LFE channel is going to be redundant and offers no audio information not already found in the four main channels.

I have found that the LFE channel really helps out here. My main speakers dip down to about 36 Hz, which is pretty darnn low. But my subwoofer dips down to 20 Hz. There is definitely a lot of action on this disc in the 20 to 36 Hz range! Roger's bass never sounded so good! You'll need to tweak the crossover/volume of your subwoofer to find a good blend. It seems like this disc is ideal for finding a good main/sub blend!

HearToTemptYou said:
For some reason, the segue from "Us and Them" and "Any Colour You Like" has been changed a tiny bit. In my copy of the SQ LP, there is a slight hesitation when compared to the Stereo version of the album. This segue has been "retightened" by the creators of this DVD.

The same seems to be the case between "Any Colour" and "Brain Damage." Has anyone else noticed this?
I have not noticed this. How does this disc compare to the segue on the British Q8? I'm thinking that would be a more appropriate comparison. Who knows what happened during SQ encoding and LP mastering. Comparing the SQ LP to the master tape is probably an apples/oranges comparision. Comparing the British Q8 to the master tape is probably a more accurate comparision (tangerines/oranges?)

Cai Campbell said:
I have not noticed this. How does this disc compare to the segue on the British Q8? I'm thinking that would be a more appropriate comparison. Who knows what happened during SQ encoding and LP mastering. Comparing the SQ LP to the master tape is probably an apples/oranges comparision. Comparing the British Q8 to the master tape is probably a more accurate comparision (tangerines/oranges?)
I haven't had a chance to hear the UK Q8 of the album.

It's a really minor quibble (if it even is one at all), just something I noticed. The slight hesitation I described is definitely part of music on my SQ LP. I doubt it's a result of any kind of encoding process. It could be a difference between the SQ Encoded master and the discrete master, though I'd be surprised.

I'm sure you've heard a copy of the SQ LP. Do the segues from that and the Q8 differ?

This hesitation between "Us and Them" and "Any Colour" was one of the first things I noticed when playing the album in Quad for the first time (comparing it to years of listening to the Stereo version).

When I listened to the DVD-A of the album, it sounded to me like an edit had been made.

It's kind of tough to describe... If you'd like a short clip of what I'm talking about, send me a PM.

Again, it's a really minor point. It certainly doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the disk!

Last edited:
HearToTemptYou said:
I'm curious about the story as well, although I think much of it can be told by looking at the cover artwork included with the disk (if it came with your copy.)

Of course, that's assuming that the cover art is all accurate.

Mine came with cover art, though it doesn't really say anything beyond the "From the original Quadraphonic master tapes (not Q4/Q8 or vinyl)".

This 4.1 mix is lively and dramatic, especially compared to the stilted SACD version. And what about the accompanying visuals?! Very well done with album art which changes frequently throughout the songs. The .1 channel addition is a definite plus giving the mix an updated feel. The missing center channel is hardly noticed due to the superb engineering.

Charley said:
The missing center channel is hardly noticed due to the superb engineering.

I have yet to listen to the entire thing (these adult responsibilities are killing me!), but when I sampled it I had to get up and put my face into the center speaker to make sure it wasn't active. Some parts of it were so perfectly mixed as to create a very convincing phantom center.

atrocity said:
I have yet to listen to the entire thing (these adult responsibilities are killing me!), but when I sampled it I had to get up and put my face into the center speaker to make sure it wasn't active. Some parts of it were so perfectly mixed as to create a very convincing phantom center.
That not only speaks to how well the album was originally engineered by Parsons in '73, but it also shows how much effort was taken to remaster it. It really is a superb transfer.

a day and a half later but it was worth it
I wonder if they can get to the wywh or ahm masters

I would also love a copy of this, if someone could PM me to where I could get a copy of this I would be very appreciative.

sam77aus said:
I would also love a copy of this, if someone could PM me to where I could get a copy of this I would be very appreciative.
Again: just google for "dsotm dvda" (without the quotes). It's too bad that the album is not distributed via normal channels. You will need some advanced Internet experience like usenet or bittorrent to get hold of it.

God , I wish I was a bit cleverer with that kind of stuff ! I don't have a burner to make a disc but would really love to hear this and a Dummies guide would probably be wasted on me. Maybe this might force them to release an official version ??

Those of you who can,
ENJOY,

~M~

Back