dsp suggestions for windows based system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godathunder

Ive recently migrated to using a windows based setup for all my non physical media.
Formerly I was using a sony bdp s6500 but its rather clunky interface and dislike of some file types have long been a sticking point.
Playback via foobar (or sometimes vlc) has proven far easier in pretty much all regards

Of course, windows provides me with the opportunity to tinker further so, inevitably, tinker I will

I use an emotiva umc-1, connected via hdmi, as my dsp and d/a stage and whilst its pretty good in that regard, there are certainly things that could be improved.

The main areas Id like to improve are that it only has a fixed point graphic eq, which is obviously a bit of a blunt instrument. Id much prefer to be able to use a couple of bands of peq on each channel, especially the .1 channel.
Id also like to be able to be able to better integrate the crossover slopes from the 7 midhi speakers to the .1 channel and have the ability to add a hpf to the sub for higher volume listening.
And just to be awkward, Id like to be able to easily synthesize 5.1 playback to 7.1 or, at least in 5.1 playback have the choice of routing to the side or rear speakers according to preference (ideally with the option of duplicating to both if I choose).
Level adjustment and delays for each channel are a must and allpass filters would also be quite nice but arent essential. Individual output meters would also be quite nice.
Id also like to be able to store a couple of presets for all these settings and it would be good to have the ability to expand to an atmos setup (one of these days).

oh, and the moon on a stick too please

I know that foobar can manage some of this but when I playback from vlc I no longer have access to those adjustments. Im also told that jriver is pretty flexible but Ive yet to investigate it. Ideally I want a dsp thats pc based but independent of the actual media player itself

Your suggestions are welcomed chaps

I was going to suggest Jriver but I understand that foobar has similar tools.

I ended up using a combination of foobar components, equaliser apo and alex gromov's stereo to 7.1 converter. Between the three there's enough knobs, sliders and checkboxes to keep me tinkering for the some time to come.

Back