DTS 5.1 Digital Surround not registering on receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb_091

Hi all. Bit of a dilemma. I have a Sony BDPS-1700 Blu-ray player and a Yamaha HTR-3063 receiver. The BR player is connected to my TV via HDMI and TV out is via coaxial cable into my Yamaha receiver (my TV lacks an HDMI ARC option).

When I play surround Blu-rays or DVDs, any type of Dolby 5.1 audio option registers and plays as 5.1 on the receiver in "Straight" mode. When I switch to the DTS 5.1 Digital Surround options on the discs (if present), it only shows two channels registering (front left and right speakers).

Now based on the manuals for all devices I don't see why DTS 5.1 shouldn't be playing back with all 6 channels, but it doesn't. Any suggestions? I'm probably being an idiot and totally missing something, but I'm fairly tech savvy and feel like I've checked every setting on all 3 devices to no avail.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Check the audio settings on your BR player, Dolby D compatible output should be set to off. If it is on it will convert the DTS signal to DD.

Does the issue disappear when you connect your BD player to your receiver and then your receiver to your TV? You should be doing that regardless so you can get lossless audio. Coax doesn't have the bandwidth for it.
Hmm, I'll have to give this a shot. Not sure why I didn't connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI to begin with. Will I have any issues considering my TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC functionality?

Hmm, I'll have to give this a shot. Not sure why I didn't connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI to begin with. Will I have any issues considering my TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC functionality?
Nope, you can still route the optical/coax back to your receiver. HDMI ARC is optional, your TV should still support piping audio through optical/coax when you're watching content directly on the TV and not on the Blu-ray Player.

@jbb_091

What's the make and model of your TV? It might not support DTS pass-through...
Hey there. It's a Funai LF320FX4F. A cheapo 720p TV, so I wouldn't doubt if it doesn't support DTS pass-through.

In fact, I just looked through the manual and I see no mention of DTS at all when I Ctrl+F... Looks like it only passes Dolby 5.1 through: "This unit accepts 5.1 channel audio signal (Dolby Digital) and 2 channel audio signal (LPCM)."

This pretty much spells it out, eh? I will need to plug the BR player directly into my receiver to get DTS 5.1 through DVDs/Blu-rays.

Nope, you can still route the optical/coax back to your receiver. HDMI ARC is optional, your TV should still support piping audio through optical/coax when you're watching content directly on the TV and not on the Blu-ray Player.
Gotcha, thanks. I'm using coaxial at the moment as my TV doesn't have an optical port.

Just wanted to report back that connecting my Blu-ray directly to my receiver, and my receiver into my TV via HDMI fixed all of my problems. I'm an idiot :). But just wanted to say thanks to everyone who left some tips/advice.

I can now even play 5.1 FLAC files from the Blu-ray player too! I'm having such a great time relistening to so many of my favorite albums in surround. Cheers everyone!

It's understandable. I've seen a lot of posts the last few years that seem to advance the idea of connecting components to TVs instead of to AVRs.
eARC should have made it far easier for people to connect all their gear via to their TV's and send the audio (including 'lossless' audio) via HDMI to their AVR's.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason TV manufacturers have crippled this capability by dropping support for some audio formats. Most famously dts šŸ˜²

Back