DTS 6.1 discrete

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miilda

Hi. Do you know any music titles in the spatial discrete format 6.1? I have Chinese folk music in DTS 6.1, where the sixth channel is a discreet back center. Chinese recordings are very audiophile and many are mixed in 6.1. Does anyone know any tips for any other titles in 6.1? Here in the picture one example of Chinese folk music in 6.1 ...

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 99
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 115
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 113
Most of the list is not to my taste in style :) But I must say that the Chinese recordings are very nice. In those recordings there are the voices of animals, the stamp of horses around the room, a moving locomotive and other attractions and spatial effects are 100% discreet and used.

Midnight Oil - Capricornia might interest me ;-)

I got the Midnight Oil last year and found it a bit loud and compressed, as mentioned in the quote below.
Since I was motivated to buy it from seeing them live (and LOUD) at the Eagles Ballroom Milwaukee the year it was released (wearing -33dB industrial foam earplugs), not a big problem.

I highly recommend the Medeski, Martin & Wood, though I listen to it in 5.1 (but with full-range REAR speakers in the back corners, not home theater satellite SURROUND speakers only slightly behind the sweet spot). HiRez Poll - Medeski Martin and Wood - UNINVISIBLE [DVD-A]

Midnight Oil "Capricornia" DTS-ES

Just picked this one up and I love it! Great music and a very discrete surround mix - drums/bass/lead guitars upfront, lead vocal in center channel, and rhythm guitars/backing vocals rear. Love the opening track, "Golden Age" (very different from Beck's "The Golden Age" :ROFLMAO:).

I decided to rip the 6.1 tracks (DTSParser -> Foobar2000) even though I don't actually have a rear center channel in my main system, and was surprised to find that the extra channel actually carries quite a bit of isolated discrete information. It turns out that the DTS-ES encoding is subtractive rather than additive - it actually removes the center-panned content from the rear channels and places it in its own speaker.

Towards the end of "Golden Age", there's a section where the lead vocal come solely from the rear channels ("I can see a purple patch of jacaranda..."). - when played in standard 5.1, it's suspended between the left rear and right rear. In 6.1, that vocal is isolated in the rear center speaker and completely absent from the left and right rears.

View attachment 46503

My only knock on this disc is that the sound quality could be better - not sure if it's in the mix or the mastering, but its got a sort of muddy/compressed sound. It is fairly loud and the front channels have that "haircut" look, suggesting they were limited to some degree.

Wasn't the back center channel a matrix separation? Sounded like that to me on my Cheryl Crow Globe Session DTS disc.

I got the Midnight Oil last year and found it a bit loud and compressed, as mentioned in the quote below.
Since I was motivated to buy it from seeing them live (and LOUD) at the Eagles Ballroom Milwaukee the year it was released (wearing -33dB industrial foam earplugs), not a big problem.

I highly recommend the Medeski, Martin & Wood, though I listen to it in 5.1 (but with full-range REAR speakers in the back corners, not home theater satellite SURROUND speakers only slightly behind the sweet spot). HiRez Poll - Medeski Martin and Wood - UNINVISIBLE [DVD-A]

Midnight Oil "Capricornia" DTS-ES

Yes, That is a general recommendation for old style QUAD kind of mixes. In the Uninvisible DVD-A 6.1 you hear the Drums completely at the right ear side, when surrounds are at side location.

In my 7.1.4 I use to re-assign the Surround channel (Rear QUAD) to the Back Surround Speakers when listening to QUADs. And leave the Side Surrounds Speakers silent. It sound more balanced with the big amount of content in the QUAD rears.

But for the DTS ES Dscrt 6.1 mix, I have to test again with this album what is better. The Surround Back channel is send to both Surround Back Speakers, I think. And then it would be "mixed" to Surround Rear channels. If You leave 7.1 as is, I get differentiation from side-surround channels and the Surround Back channel.

The rear center channel can be connected with two speakers (they play mono) and spread out on the sides like a classic 7.1 layout, or both speakers behind the head. If it is switched off or the rear center channel is switched off from the AV receiver, its discrete content is moved to the surround channels. After connecting the rear center, the discrete content is again oriented from the surround boxes to the rear center. In any case, the listener can choose whether to place the rear center connected by two boxes on the left and right as 7.1, or to leave them behind his head with both, or only one box. The difference is that the 7.1 model requires this additional channel on the sides left and right of the head and surrounds farther behind the head, or to have surrounds to the left and right of the head and the back center behind the head. My Yamaha AV also has front ambient top channels that don\u0027t play with the rear center.

Back