DTS Announcement...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you for the info Bob :) it's a potentially exciting step in the right direction.. but this press release seems to imply it will be a synthesised surround effect via 2-channels, or did I get the wrong end of the stick.?

If there's one thing that DTS has always excelled at, it is the press release.

This sounds like an enhancement for phones in terms of fidelity or implied soundfield. Cashing in on their name recognition but not doing much for the serious dedicated surround junkies that we are.

If there's one thing that DTS has always excelled at, it is the press release.

This sounds like an enhancement for phones in terms of fidelity or implied soundfield. Cashing in on their name recognition but not doing much for the serious dedicated surround junkies that we are.

very true. although they also used to release rather good surround sound CDs of old quad and new 5.1 mixes.. a few moons ago.

not so much now, sadly.

There are some DTS products I use every day, and some I think don't measure up. The DTS-MA Encoding Suite is a favorite of mine. Their track record with stereo-to-surround isn't great, though. I've talked about it before but, while it does some simple things well, DTS Neural Upmix doesn't come close to doing with a $500 program should. I could imagine a similar approach here.

The recordings we wish had a bit more depth to them probably need a whole lot more than some width sliders in order to make them sound right.

Back