DTS-CD DTS blues...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to try that method, as I have a few bum burns worth fixing, but they are all obscure.

Stuff gets added to their database all the time. I have an original 1986 of Peter Gabriel's "So" that no software or hardware would read without errors. None of them were audible, but it still bothered me. I tried multiple times over the years to get CueTools to repair the files, but it always said it didn't have that particular edition...until one day when it suddenly did.

It's black magic, as far as I'm concerned. It was the source of Shower Thoughts the other day, just wondering how on earth it works. Clearly they aren't being sent your entire CD every time you rip one, so how is their system able to spot and repair issues?

Stuff gets added to their database all the time. I have an original 1986 of Peter Gabriel's "So" that no software or hardware would read without errors. None of them were audible, but it still bothered me. I tried multiple times over the years to get CueTools to repair the files, but it always said it didn't have that particular edition...until one day when it suddenly did.

It's black magic, as far as I'm concerned. It was the source of Shower Thoughts the other day, just wondering how on earth it works. Clearly they aren't being sent your entire CD every time you rip one, so how is their system able to spot and repair issues?

“So” is such a common disc I am surprised you bothered with it, and that cut tools took so long to get the discs into their database servers.

Mystery to me too. It must be phoning home every error and sending back the corrected bits on-the-fly. Which would suggest that it works best with strong and fast internet connection. That it cannot work without that connection?

But my large batch of rips with potential errors are all modern classical CDs which are the rarest types of discs out there in general. I sold off a friend’s collection about 8 years ago. I burned a CD-R copy of each and every disc, about 1,275 total. 50% of the discs were Sony blanks. 45% of those Sony discs burned with some errors baked into them.

At the time accurateRip did not have many of these discs in their database. And not very many if the discs had tagging meta available either. So I thought I was wise to burn copies and rip everything later - like in a few years meta and album art would be in the databases, it’s best to wait to rip unless o want to do a ton of tagging by hand and have no artwork with my FLACs.

I was correct that by waiting - meta did materialize and accurateRip did indeed get hip to these titles. But my 20% of discs with some type of error is a bit of a heartbreak. These CDs were very in demand on Amazon. Fancy import labels, small run titles, exotic (but not unknown) composers and pieces. Many $35 to $75 discs with $25 the average. I was living that daily cash flow there during “economic downturn” hard times.

I used two different burners which may have helped in some cases. But those Sony discs were horrible and I read further up on that loser brand. Where my Philips labeled “bargain” priced discs came through 100% of the time.

The only good news is that I saved all of these discs in those 100pc spindle packs and if cue tools can work out the problems - ibwiyle be willing to re-rip everything again. In fact - the Sony discs in general I did not fully completely rip. I got disgusted with the (modern classical) ripping project and never finished it.

So I’m all-ears and all open to hear about this miracle cure for “burned in” CD errors.

So I’m all-ears and all open to hear about this miracle cure for “burned in” CD errors.

I decided to re-rip and re-repair "So" in order to walk myself through the process again, which would allow me to document it and pass it on to you.

No matter what I did, CueRipper/CueTools told me that the files didn't match anything in the database and it never offered me the opportunity to repair them. Yet I KNOW it did in the past and that my current files will verify just fine.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,102046.0.html makes me wonder if the fact that I did the new rip in burst mode just left too many errors to be fixed. Partway down it does offer a guide to how to use CueTools for repair, though.

I decided to re-rip and re-repair "So" in order to walk myself through the process again, which would allow me to document it and pass it on to you.

No matter what I did, CueRipper/CueTools told me that the files didn't match anything in the database and it never offered me the opportunity to repair them. Yet I KNOW it did in the past and that my current files will verify just fine.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,102046.0.html makes me wonder if the fact that I did the new rip in burst mode just left too many errors to be fixed. Partway down it does offer a guide to how to use CueTools for repair, though.
I would take that burst rip, and burn it to CD-R and run it through accurate rip and see how many bad sectors show up. See if any repair work was done. Just so you know.

Nero and other ripping programs are designed to fix a few bad bits here and there, but not many in a row. There is a chek-sum type of error correction in the CD playback method, or so I am told.

I do not see how any copy of "So" would not be in the databases. I think there is an error reading the toc or disc somehow and it's not coming up. Because it had a worldwide roll-out with I think same the mastering originally. Your disc is either that master, or a remaster. There can't be too much variation with this title., some but not a lot. There is something else going on. It's a digital mix btw, so even if mastering to a different glass master plate, it's not going to sound much different.

Last edited:
I do not see how any copy of "So" would not be in the databases. I think there is an error reading the toc or disc somehow and it's not coming up. Because it had a worldwide roll-out with I think same the mastering originally. You disc is either that master, or a remaster. There can't be too much variation with this title., some but not a lot. There is something else going on. It's a digital mix btw, so even if mastering to a different glass master plate, it's not going to sound much different.

Imprecise wording on my part. It knew what the album was, but it claimed (accurately, I'm sure) that my FLACs were all bad reads.

I agree with everything you say about the ubiquity of that album, but there's just something cursed about it. Aside from all the trouble I've had extracting the bits, the MusicBrainz entries are weird. The MB entry for my barcode doesn't match my catalog number and vice versa.

Mine's a Japan Victor pressing that I'm sure I bought as soon as it showed up at Tower.

The latest anomaly with DTS burning discs is, if I use Nero as I always have, nearly every disc fails regardless of brand or type cd or cd-r.
If I use a cheaper brand, Sonic, so far 3 discs have not failed. Unfortunately this ver of Sonic is feature
thin, so there are extra steps and details such as Artist and song titles scrolling on my player are not provided.
I take the four files and use Nero edit to clean them up if needed and Surcode to encode then take that file and with DC6 chop into each song, then Sonic organizes them for burn at 10x .
Strange why Nero 7 no longer makes reliable discs but another software can make good discs , same
burner.

BTW has the news of the Banning fire that destroyed Lacquer factory been acknowledged here?
only 2 in the world ? how crazy is that?

Last edited:
The latest anomaly with DTS burning discs is, if I use Nero as I always have, nearly every disc fails regardless of brand or type cd or cd-r.
If I use a cheaper brand, Sonic, so far 3 discs have not failed. Unfortunately this ver of Sonic is feature
thin, so there are extra steps and details such as Artist and song titles scrolling on my player are not provided.
I take the four files and use Nero edit to clean them up if needed and Surcode to encode then take that file and with DC6 chop into each song, then Sonic organizes them for burn at 10x .
Strange why Nero 7 no longer makes reliable discs but another software can make good discs , same
burner.

BTW has the news of the Banning fire that destroyed Lacquer factory been acknowledged here?
only 2 in the world ? how crazy is that?
I have no idea why or what you are doing. Why you would need to clean up a file. But here's the deal. A DTS CD of content is no different than any other CD. No difference in the extraction of the data, no difference in the burning of the files in a Disc-at-Once session. If you cannot get playable DTS CD-Rs to be burned, then you have issues with all of the burned CD-Rs. It is just that DTS is letting you know about these issues you are having with all of your CD-R burning. You other CD-Rs of music are playing even if they are not exact copies like they should be.

Look at your setting carefully, and ditch Nero 7 completely if you can't even copy a gash darn CD to CD-R correctly. You should not have to rip, correct, clean-up, and the cut into songs, etc. Something is going very screwy with your process. Start with making sure your settings are correct. Disc-at-Once mode for starters.

I have no idea why or what you are doing. Why you would need to clean up a file. But here's the deal. A DTS CD of content is no different than any other CD. No difference in the extraction of the data, no difference in the burning of the files in a Disc-at-Once session. If you cannot get playable DTS CD-Rs to be burned, then you have issues with all of the burned CD-Rs. It is just that DTS is letting you know about these issues you are having with all of your CD-R burning. You other CD-Rs of music are playing even if they are not exact copies like they should be.

Look at your setting carefully, and ditch Nero 7 completely if you can't even copy a gash darn CD to CD-R correctly. You should not have to rip, correct, clean-up, and the cut into songs, etc. Something is going very screwy with your process. Start with making sure your settings are correct. Disc-at-Once mode for starters.

The best results I have had is using ImgBurn. I use SurCode to write a single file and then create a cue file to name each track and split the single wav into tracks. This prevents even minor gaps in the stream. I used this method to create a 2-disc set of Elton John: One Night Only.

"We learn by doing, after a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." —Spock,

Back