DTS-CD DTS CD from a DVD-Video's audio without re-encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navegador

Hey! I extracted the DTS 5.1 stream from a regular DVD-Video. I was wondering if there's a way to make a DTS CD out of it without having to re-encode it.

Leonardo

Last edited:
No.
Sample rate on dvd is 48KHz, on cd is 44.1KHz.
Probably you can burn on a disc and have some player recognize it, YMMV.

I had someone ask me this the other day. You're not going to go from 48 to 44.1 without a loss in sound quality. I wouldn't recommend it.

About that sampling rate stuff, is that really a problem (SurCode seems to be able to create 48kHz-sampled DTS CDs)? We could just replace it's substream with a regular 16/44 WAV substream. All we need to do is get the DVD to recognize it as a CDDA and play it, the DTS decoder does the rest.

Now, back to the main question (ignoring the sampling rate issue, let's assume it's 44.1). There's a program called DTS Parser that turns a DTS-encoded WAV file into a regular DTS file, by stripping the WAV substream and recreating the DTS substream. What I want is exactly the opposite: a program that strips the DTS substream and replaces it with a WAV substream. Theoretically, it's possible to do it with a hex editor and the specs of both DTS and WAV formats. But, well, I don't have patience for that.

Essentially, you cannot do this for free unless you know of a free DTS-WAV tool

For "free as possible", you want Tranzcode with the GUI to do this.
Google for it and there you will find it - will turn your .dts stream into 6 mono WAV files.
Then, with R8Brain Free (www.voxengo.com) you can SRC to 44.1 ready for DTS-CD encoding.

Whilst creating DTS-WAV at 48k can be done (you still have the 44.1k header so it writes to CD) but not all decoders get it right.
Some will play out at the wrong speed.

A DTS-enabled version of VLC can do it, just set the output to wave files instead of the sound card.

Back