DTS-CD MEMORY TEST: What Were Your First 5-10 DTS-CD’s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After buying my first surround receiver (Yamaha RX-V995) I was looking at utilising the coax digital out on my ageing Philips CD player to take advantage of the superior DACs in the Yammy. At this stage I had yet to buy into DVD. Was very surprised to find out that these multichannel DTSCD things even existed and would most likely work with my setup, so snagged a few from Ken Cranes and maybe Amazon US? Anyway I quit buying them once DVD-A came on the scene. This is my entire collection:

Alan Parsons - On Air
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile
Belinda Carlisle - A Woman And A Man
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run
Paul McCartney & Wings - Venus and Mars
Midnight Oil - Capricornia
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed
The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
The Police - Every Breath You Take - The Classics.bi
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams

A big part of my attraction to DTS was the burnable factor. I could copy them to CD-Rs and buy, sell, and trade them. I was always selling off my Wings or BBA to fund the Moodies, or Steely Dan purchase. The 1998 to 2001 era was tight financially for me. I was forced to buy used media almost exclusively. Then late 2001 I started making normal income again and by that time it was DVD-As mainly. It would take me another 10 years before I even got an SACD player.

I’ve been into vinyl the whole time as well. So there had never been enough funds for all the surround I wanted. Not until the AF era was I really able to grab everything I wanted coming out.

So DTS was an inexpensive entry way for me to start out with modern surround.

DTS CDs are what got me started in this "surround" hobby. When I got my Nissan 350z and was unhappy with the stock Bose sound system I installed an Alpine system that could play DTS CDs and DVDs:

1632676398927.png

https://glenn.ws/web/Photos/ZAudio/
Sadly, that was totaled (stupid $10K+ mistake on my part) and modern car audio systems are so integrated they don't really lend themselves to mod/upgrade, but my hobby moved indoors and continues.

I think the first commercial dts cd I bought was Jeff Beck Blow by Blow, but had many many upmix and other surround sources stored on DTS CDs. Here's the overstuffed case I used to keep in the Z (all surround):

1632677223307.png

Commercial DVDs at the beginning.

Then at one point I had a mac mini in there with all the music on a hard drive, however the special power supply that put the computer to sleep and kept the battery from dying never really worked correctly (or at least not in the notorious for battery going dead if you don't drive it daily Z).

Yeah so for me, DTS CDs were my "Quad" intro to Surround.

I thought someone else might chime in on the Creative DTS-610. Seemed to be somewhat popular here years ago for guys to capture their Quad and turn it into DTS.

I have an Audigy Z2S PC card that would, until they stopped support, play DVDA via your DVD drive and decode DTS I believe. But that was more software than card I think.
In fact I still own 2 Audigy Z2S audio cards.

*Hey guys I spotted what is supposed to be several DTS-CD's from an artist called the DMP big band. A reference was given for dmprecords.com but the site is for sale.
Anyone heard of them?

I thought someone else might chime in on the Creative DTS-610. Seemed to be somewhat popular here years ago for guys to capture their Quad and turn it into DTS.

I have an Audigy Z2S PC card that would, until they stopped support, play DVDA via your DVD drive and decode DTS I believe. But that was more software than card I think.

*Hey guys I spotted what is supposed to be several DTS-CD's from an artist called the DMP big band. A reference was given for dmprecords.com but the site is for sale.
Anyone heard of them?
you mean this one, think I've got that laying around somewhere

https://www.discogs.com/DMP-Big-Band-DMP-Big-Band-Salutes-Duke-Ellington/release/11020266

When I finally got to hear these DTS CD's , I had my Toshiba DVD player and ....my 🥰 Yamaha RX-V595a.

And around the start of 2001 , I'd purchased my first 2 or 3 DVD-A titles . ELP , Deep Purple , and The Doors all of which I found in a local cd music store interspersed with the regular cd's . It goes without saying that I was happy they included a dvd layer , and kept an eye out on various computer sites promoting surround as well as in Video Review , which had the DTS Entertainment adverts showing the latest released DTS CD's.

So I listened for about 2 and a half years to D.D.5.1 .
But at the same time I was still ordering by mail DTS CD's and a couple of dvd-a's.
In autumn of 2003 I finally got to purchase a Pioneer Combo player , the 563A .

Anyway back to DTS CD ! I now have 27 in total (w/2 bootlegs) So from time to time I 'm still looking for the odd disc at a reasonable price, and well, most are now rare .

Heres some ads I followed like a Hawk during their release years .
20210926_135336.jpg
20210926_135318.jpg
20210926_135242.jpg
20210926_135214.jpg

Besides these from DTSE ... I was totally unaware of Pete Namlooks many DTS CD'S !!!

Not even 5 point 1 , were selling them , and they specialized in DTS CD's .
Too bad as I thought I had a handle on all the DTS CD produced.

Anyone heard of them?

Ah yes, DTS-610 was part of the in-house gear. Must be in a box somewhere...

Ok , All you FINE DTS CD Collectors [*] ......

Do you remember. ......your First to ......oh shall we say -Tenth DTS CD ?

Perhaps you were as "Obsessive Cumpulsive Quad Disordered"🤒 as myself . Or just curious about how they would sound in surround on your Home Theatre systems.

I have a brain like a steel sieve, so rather than try to remember things I write them down. Here are my records - 1 > 10:

Clapton, Eric 461 Ocean Boulevard Official DTS 1/12/2009 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Gaye, Marvin Forever Yours Official DTS 4/24/2009 Twist & Shout New Sealed $19.38
McCartney, Paul Venus And Mars Official DTS 7/1/2010 eBay/Rock & Record Research - MI Like New Used $44.93
Beck, Jeff Beck, Bogert & Appice Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Clapton, Eric There's One In Every Crowd Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Miller, Steve Fly Like An Eagle Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Stills, Stephen Stills Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Cocker, Joe Night Calls Official DTS 6/15/2011 Mick's Muse - San Diego, CA New Sealed $19.26
Orleans Live Official DTS 6/21/2011 Amazon.com directly New Sealed $29.99
Police Every Breath You Take Official DTS 9/4/2011 CD Trader - Tarzana, CA Used $16.30

As you can see, PU lent a very nice helping hand when he found out I was getting into the hobby. Before you think him too generous, he probably got most of these titles on liquidation when 5.1.com was going out of business. I am hereby paying off his generosity by admitting that one of my first 10 (NOT my TOP 10, mind you) was the Police. He knows I hate Sting, and loves to rub my nose in it. But you can also note that this is the first one I got used. Yes, MANY Police and Sting titles were easy to get used, once they had been listened to...

And these were not the first titles I acquired, merely the first DTS titles. My first purchase of a digital surround disc was DSOTM, probably when it came out in 2003. I did not listen to any of these in surround until a visit to Mr Universe (um) probably around 2009 or 2010. Including all other formats, the Police disc in question was #251. So there!

Anyone heard of them?

the DMPs sound good (they later went onto doing Surround SACDs in the early days of MultiCh SACD) but they're not very Surround-y

Pic of the millenium decoder.*

*View attachment 71919

And the back page of an early ad from DTS HDS

Notice that a DTS CD from Mountain*was scheduled for release.

*View attachment 71920

very interesting fizzy!! guessing it was Best Of Mountain, would have been the most logical choice from a sales perspective.. but maybe it was one out of left field as some of the DTS CDs were and was going to be "Avalanche" instead..! 🤔

very interesting fizzy!! guessing it was Best Of Mountain, would have been the most logical choice from a sales perspective.. but maybe it was one out of left field as some of the DTS CDs were and was going to be "Avalanche" instead..! 🤔

They did pick a number of former Q8 only titles... so apart from Best Of Mountain , which is the Best Guess for a DTS CD from Brad Miller's HDS Company , I was also considering "Mountain -Flowers Of Evil" .

Anyhowww , perhaps Quadtrade might know which title. Afterall i think he is a DTS Guru of sorts having worked with Brad Miller (HDS) .
At least I believe I read that Tad was involved with the start of DTS Coherent Audio.
(On QQ ....somewhere's many posts ago.)

:unsure:(y)

I have a brain like a steel sieve, so rather than try to remember things I write them down. Here are my records - 1 > 10:

Clapton, Eric 461 Ocean Boulevard Official DTS 1/12/2009 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Gaye, Marvin Forever Yours Official DTS 4/24/2009 Twist & Shout New Sealed $19.38
McCartney, Paul Venus And Mars Official DTS 7/1/2010 eBay/Rock & Record Research - MI Like New Used $44.93
Beck, Jeff Beck, Bogert & Appice Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Clapton, Eric There's One In Every Crowd Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Miller, Steve Fly Like An Eagle Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Stills, Stephen Stills Official DTS 7/2/2010 Privateuniverse Gift Like New Used $0.00
Cocker, Joe Night Calls Official DTS 6/15/2011 Mick's Muse - San Diego, CA New Sealed $19.26
Orleans Live Official DTS 6/21/2011 Amazon.com directly New Sealed $29.99
Police Every Breath You Take Official DTS 9/4/2011 CD Trader - Tarzana, CA Used $16.30

As you can see, PU lent a very nice helping hand when he found out I was getting into the hobby. Before you think him too generous, he probably got most of these titles on liquidation when 5.1.com was going out of business. I am hereby paying off his generosity by admitting that one of my first 10 (NOT my TOP 10, mind you) was the Police. He knows I hate Sting, and loves to rub my nose in it. But you can also note that this is the first one I got used. Yes, MANY Police and Sting titles were easy to get used, once they had been listened to...

And these were not the first titles I acquired, merely the first DTS titles. My first purchase of a digital surround disc was DSOTM, probably when it came out in 2003. I did not listen to any of these in surround until a visit to Mr Universe (um) probably around 2009 or 2010. Including all other formats, the Police disc in question was #251. So there!

That's a pretty good collection ,@Fourplay .
You lucky Duck you , having paid Zippo for some great titles . I bought my Wings-Venus And Mars from 5point.1for pretty much the same price you paid.:)
I think I bought at least 3 or 4 titles through them , and would have bought a couple few more had I known they were about to pack it in.
But then I should have guessed that was happening as their titles on DTS CD were slowly dwindling.
:(

I think Wings and Band On The Run(subsequently autographed by Denny Laine) discs were my first. Didn't have any way to play them at the time. One of my first is Billie Meyers and still one of my favorite surround discs of all time.

Back