DTS-CD MEMORY TEST: What Were Your First 5-10 DTS-CD’s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTS CDs are what got me started in this "surround" hobby.

I think the first commercial dts cd I bought was Jeff Beck Blow by Blow, but had many many upmix and other surround sources stored on DTS CDs. Here's the overstuffed case I used to keep in the Z (all surround):

Yeah so for me, DTS CDs were my "Quad" intro to Surround.
Blow By Blow was issued at a DTS title? My mind thinks so, but my heart says no. There was a DTS BBB circulating of the quad mix, lifted right from the Sony SACD I believe. I think I had it and thought it was a real DTS release for a while.

Well, it was a commercial dts music cd release. The mix was/is essentially quad, with almost nothing in C, but it was released in that format.

Also SACD later, as you mention.

But yeah I don't see any "proof" on the internet but I have a very clear memory of buying it in a home theatre store.

I am so 'vanilla', as my first two DTS CDs were the two McCartney's, of course. Then, as I recall, "Fly Like an Eagle' and "Jasmine Nightdreams'. After that, I forget, although I do remember the first DTS CD I bought that was not an 'oldie' was "On Air", which I really latched on to. Sorta "Pink Floyd-ish' in parts, but a great surround disc.

I do recall that I bought these not on the internet, but in my local (hard to believe this) LaserDisc store, where they had a large in-store floor standing DTS CD display rack just tempting me to buy every title. My how times have changed

I am so 'vanilla', as my first two DTS CDs were the two McCartney's, of course. Then, as I recall, "Fly Like an Eagle' and "Jasmine Nightdreams'. After that, I forget, although I do remember the first DTS CD I bought that was not an 'oldie' was "On Air", which I really latched on to. Sorta "Pink Floyd-ish' in parts, but a great surround disc.

I do recall that I bought these not on the internet, but in my local (hard to believe this) LaserDisc store, where they had a large in-store floor standing DTS CD display rack just tempting me to buy every title. My how times have changed

i got my first DVD-Audio discs circa 2001 through a place some of the Brits here may remember called "The LaserDisc Shop".. ahh happy days! 😍

Well.....

If Blow By Blow does exit as a DTS CD , that would be one Hell-of-a Collectors Item , and an amazing rarity .I'd say .

Is there a chance that only a handful were released ? Possibly yes . :unsure:afterall I was unaware of some the European DTS CD'S. And I do not have much familiarity with the Asian DTS CD 's .
I don't have a listing for Blow By Blow though , and ;

I have DTS CD listings right from the start.... 1996 ! And further on through to the first couple years of DVDA releases.
Blow By Blow would make a great companion DTS CD for the Beck , Bogart and Appice DTS CD . And a pic of that disc would be appreciated by this Collector .....as I'm sure it would be by others. :)

Diggin' into the archives; Not here:

1634678872412.png

Would have to look here next:

1634678923004.png

Found the (case) label for a Japanese Stereo CD...

Found a DTS CD converted to iTunes on a harddrive, but no way to prove its provenance:

1634679112371.png

I have other copies that are clearly labeled SACD...

Attachments

• 1634679091264.png
    1634679091264.png
    685 KB · Views: 33
Diggin' into the archives; Not here:

View attachment 72733

Would have to look here next:

View attachment 72734

Found the (case) label for a Japanese Stereo CD...

Found a DTS CD converted to iTunes on a harddrive, but no way to prove its provenance:

View attachment 72736

I have other copies that are clearly labeled SACD...

Yooww !!

What a Stack !!

Good luck . I know approximately where mine are , but it can take a bit of time.

But they are interspersed with SACD'S and DVDA's , cd/dvd's , and of course Blu-ray 's .

Quad Record albums are stored elsewhere .

20211019_174328.jpg
20211019_174337.jpg

I think it was Beck Bogert and Appice that was the DTS CD
I'm quite sure it was.
But I did have a BBB DTS CD-R that sounded pretty good, and when I went looking for the artwork for it, it was then that I hit the dead end.

At this point I'm willing to say I failed the "DTS-CD MEMORY TEST" Re: Blow by Blow on DTS CD, as there just isn't any evidence on-line on or definitive evidence on my hard drives and I really don't want to look through the 100's of loose CDs or on spindles in my archive.

:oops:

Cause We've Ended As Lovers remains one of my favorite songs and the first I ever heard in Quad. Also regardless of the media format, it was an important inspiration for me getting into the surround hobby and upmixing.

Last edited:
Got me thinking, looks like my first DTS CD (5.1 44.1k ) was most likely Eric Clapton There's one in every crowd. Ohio Players Honey followed shortly after that back in 2012, must have been a good year!

At this point I'm willing to say I failed the "DTS-CD MEMORY TEST" Re: Blow by Blow on DTS CD, as there just isn't any evidence on-line on or definitive evidence on my hard drives and I really don't want to look through the 100's of loose CDs or on spindles in my archive.

:oops:

Cause We've Ended As Lovers remains one of my favorite songs and the first I ever heard in Quad. Also regardless of the media format, it was an important inspiration for me getting into the surround hobby and upmixing.

Yes I agree.

I 'm a bit disappointed that they .....DTS ENT and HDS quit so early , 2002? I think . Well what can I say , I'm just nostalgic for that format. They were the first to offer popular artist's titles in digital surround , some of which were resurrected quad albums from the 70's.
And many of those quads were previously in Q8 only.

I know that the odd bandcamp disc comes out in DTS CD , though , so there is still some hope in seeing a small number of DTS CD's continue .
🌟

Last edited:
When I first saw the DTS CD's being offered in the DTS ENT. advertisement that was regularly featured in "WIDESCREEN REVIEW" with the Steely Dan -Gaucho and Steve Miller -Fly Like An Eagle......I was hooked from then on .
And some Additional discs by , Wings , The Police and Sting , cemented my interest .

Coincidence that I found this thread.

Today I was going through my DTS-CD collection to see which releases I had that I also did not have in my SACD collection. Reason being is that, like all of my SACDs that have been ripped and loaded onto my music server, I would do the same for those DTS-CDs.

There are quite a number of them and I took one and did a trial rip using EAC, producing individual WAV tracks. Loaded those onto the server and they seem to play great, ie. I can't tell the difference between the ripped file, and the DTS-CD it was ripped from. Only problem was that the ripped WAV files had no metadata, so it took a little typing to at least add the track names. Might have to see if I did something wrong when I try my next rip.

I searched this site to see what turned up for "DTS-CD" and found this thread. I've got pretty much all of the releases mentioned so far - if not on DTS-CD, then on SACD - or at least all of the ones I'd ever want to add to my collection (if I were still collecting physical media - but for the rare exception.)

Jeff

Back