DTS-CD DTS CDR Labels - Don't Try This At Home...or Work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of LABOR, there's a whole lot of it at the URL below. :eek:

Check it out to see samples cretaed while I learned the hard way about what happens to labelled DTS CDR discs a few months later...

http://timbregroup.com/labels.htm

Have a big weekend too....:smokin

Tim,
I too learned the hard way, sticky labels on CD-R's do not mix, I now use full face printable blanks and over the last 18 months or so have never had one fail unlike the paper labels. It seems that the adhesive changes/ migrates into the top reflective layer and eventually ruins the disk. Most of my stereo CD's failed in the same way fortunately I had backups and was able to recreate them. Nice labels by the way, not too "cheesy"

Malcolm

Interesting. I've used printed labels on most of my homebrew discs and have never had a problem (some are over five years and counting). Perhaps it is a brand issue, where the composition of the adhesive for certain brands are destructive while others are not?

I use StompSoft CD labels exclusively.

These were FELLOWES Neat-O labels to be specific. Some discs still play but most of the REALLY GOOD titles became statistics. Shrug...

Thanks for saying they're not cheesy! I was trying to create a format and the lack of certain graphics made it necessary to compromise....

Also, some labels cause the media to warp at higher temperatures, because of differences in expansion between the label and the disk.

Seen that go wrong really badly, up to the point where you had to put a large fan above the opened cd-drive mechanism, in order to be able to rescue the data on the disk..

Speaking of LABOR, there's a whole lot of it at the URL below. :eek:

Check it out to see samples cretaed while I learned the hard way about what happens to labelled DTS CDR discs a few months later...

http://timbregroup.com/labels.htm

Have a big weekend too....:smokin

OK. I give up! What happens to YOUR labeled discs?
...mine work just fine.
BTW, looks like you put a lot of work into labels, as do I. :)
Sometimes I think Lightscribe...... sigh.
Edit: I HAVE had a DVD-A disc do funky things, and did think briefly about the label.
These players are strange creatures, sometimes.

Last edited:
Looking at all those titles...were those mixes you did yourself or were they available thru some site? If they were available can you please pm me where I can track some of them down...I would love to hear Rick derringer in DTS surround....

It is better by a long way to use IJP or Thermal printable media, and print right on to the disc.
It's the temperature in the players/drives that causes the problems, and you really do not want to see what happens if a disc that is out of balance shatters in a player. Not pretty.

The Epson R260 is under $100, and it works great! I buy blank inkjet printable CD-R's by the 100 at around 30 cents each plus shipping.

J. D.

I've never had a problem with paper labels on cds. But dvds is another story!
When I try to watch a dvd that has a paper label on it (before I learned better), and it won't play, I remove the label, clean the sticky glue off, and it plays fine. Now, I also print directly onto printable discs.

Yep, I'm more than ready for a disc printer. Will check out the Epson... :)

Tim,

I use a "lightscribe" in my HP Machine. Grey scale contrast only but works great and makes handsome disc. BTW, Phillips makes better "Lightscribe" blanks than HP's discs. Much better clarity on the Phillips DVD+R's and CD-R's.

Spence

Thanks for the advice! When I get my next discs they're going into a changer and then I'll get cute with the graphics. :brew:

Back