DTS CDs: Is it worth upgrading to the DVD-A or SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradavon

Hey guys, new to this forum but not web forums in general. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum I couldn't find a better one.

Also sorry if this has been answered before but my post has a few questions.

I own Sting's: Brand New Day and Sheryl Crow's: The Globe Sessions on DTS CD as at the time they weren't available on either HD Audio format.

Whilst they are decent, like most DTS CDs I find them a bit in your face and harsh. Compared to the subtlety of both DVD-A and SACD.

My questions are these:

1. Is it worth upgrading? Is there "that" much difference?
2. Which should I get SACD or DVD-A?

Of course if I do upgrade I've got to work out how to get rid of the DTS CDs. There are only a few on eBay and no bidders.

Thanks

I hear both (definitely the Sting one) use the same DTS Remix so they're not going to sound any different that aspect but of course are HD now. It would explain why these two have been released in HD Audio what with the 5.1 mix already existing.

I tend to "prefer" the SACD versions for their Hybrid capability and to me they seem more serious with no gimmicky video getting in the way. However I understand Elton John's: Goodbye to Yellow Brick Road has a better surround mix on the DVD-A, it's also on 1 DVD-A but 2 SACDs (due to the Hybrid factor). I opted for the DVD-A on that one.

I don't have either of those DTS CD's so I can only offer my general opinion and I don't find the upgrade worth the cost in most cases. I would prefer to spend my money on some music I don't already own if the surround mix is the same and the improvement of DVD-A or SACD over DTS is only based on the fidelity upgrade. Of course this is assuming the DTS audio was done well in the first place. I only rarely upgrade CD's to a surround version. Most used CD's are practically worthless now so selling them after the upgrade doesn't do much to offset the cost.

Chris

I would prefer to spend my money on some music I don't already own if the surround mix is the same
According to SACD.net the Sting one definitely is the same mix and reading the Sheryl Crow one I suspect the same goes for that.

and the improvement of DVD-A or SACD over DTS is only based on the fidelity upgrade.
Exactly. The Sting mix is good but the Sheryl Crow one is too harsh, you know how DTS can tend to sound, a bit sloppy (the mix not DTS).

So you're saying you don't find the fidelity upgrade big enough?

I only rarely upgrade CD's to a surround version.
I would more if I could but the number of SACD/DVD-A vs. CD even today sucks big time. I prefer to if it's a Hybrid SACD.

Most used CD's are practically worthless now so selling them after the upgrade doesn't do much to offset the cost.
Tell me about it, even new titles. I usually give them away to friends/family.

That's the clincher now I think about it. If I could get rid of the DTS CDs even for a few bucks on eBay it would help but whose going to want DTS CDs??? I can't even give those to friends/family. I'd be left with two duds.

Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Back