DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More DTS CDs (some out there at bargain prices) I'd recommend..

The 3 Sting albums (Nothing Like The Sun, Brand New Day, Ten Summoner's Tales),
Where Your Road Leads - Trisha Yearwood.

Hi Fredblue & all,
I'm wondering what you thought of the 'Where Your Road Leads - Trisha Yearwood' dts cd? Did you like the mix, fidelity, etc.
I'm considering this one & would appreciate some of your impressions of it. Is it worth getting?
Thanks...

Last edited:
folder.jpg

Hi Fredblue & all,
I'm wondering what you thought of the 'Where Your Road Leads - Trisha Yearwood' dts cd? Did you like the mix, fidelity, etc.
I'm considering this one & would appreciate some of your impressions of it. Is it worth getting?
Thanks...

hi Imbobman its been a long time since i last played some of this stuff so i will need to refresh my memory 🙂 i'll be back! 🤞

I'm still playing catch up with the early stuff but it's loads of fun.

I was lucky to find 90% of the Mystic Moods series within a two week window. I did not get the train sounds disc as it's not my thing. Mr. Miller mixed in train sounds in every Mystic Moods album anyway, so that's all I'll ever need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Quad that wasn't released as a dts CD was Love The One You're With, right?

It can now rain in my apartment anytime I wish! 🌂

IMG_20220902_151429.jpg

Last edited:
Garry Havrillay -(2019)- Walk Me Through This [DTS-CD]
I think this is about the last one I got...it was a download from one of the music services. I want to say there was an actual disc available, but he's in Australia, so.....

I thought I had about all the Mystic Moods/Miller discs but I can only put my fingers on 5 or 6 at the moment.....ripped, anyway.

I think this is about the last one I got...it was a download from one of the music services. I want to say there was an actual disc available, but he's in Australia, so.....

I thought I had about all the Mystic Moods/Miller discs but I can only put my fingers on 5 or 6 at the moment.....ripped, anyway.

I have only the bottom 2 on @Simon A 's picture post . And back in the quad days I never had any of the Warner Bros or Soundbird CD-4 's. Other than the Soundbird CD-4 Test album , given away free to members of
4 QUAD/Evolution .

@boondocks ....Did Gary Havrillay have only the one DTS CD ?

I was lucky to find 90% of the Mystic Moods series within a two week window. I did not get the train sounds disc as it's not my thing. Mr. Miller mixed in train sounds in every Mystic Moods album anyway, so that's all I'll ever need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Quad that wasn't released as a dts CD was Love The One You're With, right?

View attachment 83003

Well , here is the listing of releases from Quad Inc Catalogue. The 2 bracketed ones are Never Released albums.
20220903_171338.jpg

@boondocks ....Did Gary Havrillay have only the one DTS CD ?
Not sure. I think he pretty much sells through bandcamp, you can check him out there. I have two of his albums, the one I listed + gravity. Actually I think I downloaded as flac 5.1, but he has blu ray and at least did have some DTS-CD discs for sale.
TBH I never think to check back on bandcamp and he has more releases than I thought, the flac downloads are reasonably priced.

View attachment 83003
"The Storm & The Sea" is really gorgeous ain't it! The recording is rather great, and the quad spaciousness with some separation is beautifully done. Love it!

I like the DTS line of CDs in general, they are still obtainable, and prices should not be too high on any of them. Very affordable discs for modern surround.

These titles in particular never got to the DTS labeled DVD-A format or did they?

My memory is not to be trusted on anything these days, and I don't seem to have written anything down about this, so I can't footnote it. But I think I recently came across a claim by @4-earredwonder that the 5.1 DTS-CD versions of the Martinon Debussys and Ravels have ambient-only rears--even if they were sourced from quad.

kap's SQ script "decodes" of the Debussy RBCD reissues, meanwhile, have a lot of seemingly discrete content in the rears. I don't know that it's ever been definitively proven that those CDs were SQ-encoded or if it's just a happy accident that they responded so well to Lucanu's script, but in either case it's hard to gainsay kap's results! Hoping the SACDs are similarly "encoded" and mastered even better.
*edit - Moved... thanks Mods!

Just got this in and ripped it to 5.1; seems like it does have some subtle variances from front to rear, i.e. Drums up front and different horn sections mixed to the rears. I even thought about trying taking out the Center as it may be just a reduced sum of the Fronts, but on a track like Fanfare may reduce the impact of the large drums :unsure: Overall, it seems weighted in the rears more to the right side though.

Can I get some confirmation on all this please; and... are there better surround versions of these out there?

The Orchestral Music Of Debussy – #5

dts Debussy mo 5.jpg

Fanfare wavs.jpg

Last edited:
*edit - oops wrong thread - sorry!

Just got this in and ripped it to 5.1; seems like it does have some subtle variances from front to rear, i.e. Drums up front and different horn sections mixed to the rears. I even thought about trying taking out the Center as it may be just a reduced sum of the Fronts, but on a track like Fanfare may reduce the impact of the large drums :unsure: Overall, it seems weighted in the rears more to the right side though.

Can I get some confirmation on all this please; and... are there better surround versions of these out there?

The Orchestral Music Of Debussy – #5

View attachment 84405
View attachment 84406
For orchestral works: there's a Debussy/Ravel disc/reel by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Ormandy; I'm surprised Michael Dutton hasn't gotten around to it yet. I bet it's on his list.

Well , here is the listing of releases from Quad Inc Catalogue. The 2 bracketed ones are Never Released albums.View attachment 83057
The two MYSTIC MOODS ORCHESTRA albums which I highly recommend are their first and second albums, ONE STORMY NIGHT and NIGHTTIDE which were originally on the PHILIPS Label [now controlled by UMG]!

I've already petitioned The Watford Wizard to at least consider releasing them if they can locate the QUAD masters. IMO, they are my FAVS of all the MMO releases!

61tbBCCfvOL.jpg
Nighttide, Mystic Moods, Very Good

Last edited:
Back