DTS-CD dts drop outs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

quad2dts

HELP ! ! ! ! !

I am encountering that dts will drop out between tracks and it becomes a pain in the surround. I just completed recording the Moody Blues A Question of balance and the tracks flow right into one another and the Millennium unit blue light flickers and drops out for a moment between tracks and I have the exact time for each track down to the tenth. I am using Adaptec's 4.05 CD burning software burning at 1 x's and selecting disc at once any help out there. I would love to have it flow smoothly between tracks.

Thanks to all those who replied. I was able to obtain CD buring software from Goldenhawk.com. They are very helpful and there software was very resonable. I now record the in one complete wav file and then write a text file for the dts wav file that denotes the times when to go to the next track.
Contact them I think you like what they have to offer.

Tell them Quad2dts sent you.

Are you encoding the entire album as one wave file and then breaking it into songs !? What is the setting you are using to burn . Use disc at once and no gap setting. What are you using as a wave editor. I use Coll Edit Pro and set for 75 F.P.S. Try and get the times as full frames and you'll get better time transitions. I found no blips on the Millenium 2/4/6/-this way!

I am encoding each track from the six channels I initially recorded. I burn at 1x's rate and select disc at once. With no pauses.

I am using Adaptec 4.05, Logic recording software with the Delta 8 channel sound card I use.

I select a specified start time then the end time and the next track will start with the exact end time of the previous track.

I used to have this problem when I first started doing DTS CD's. My solution (or should I say Tab's solution) is to use a single wave file in CD Architect and manually construct the track list. You have to use a program that let's you fine-tune track listings at the FRAME level (as opposed to time, which doesn't usually jive with the underlying frame structure of a CD.) This is where CD Architect comes in.

The problem with doing this is that you can't really construct the play list using the encoded DTS wave file since all you see in the editor is a flat, constant shaft of white noise (if you've ever looked at a DTS wave file in a sound editor, you know what I mean.) Anyway, I usually do a mix-down of the multi-tracks to mono that I will eventually use to create an LFE channel. I take the wave file of the mono mix-down into CD Architect to set up my track list. I then save the project. Then I go and move/rename/delete the mono mix-down file that I used to define the tracks. Then I open the CD Architect project and it responds with something like "Hey, numb-nuts, I can't find the friggin' wave file, what the heck should I do?" And you respond with "Oh golly, why don't you use this nice little DTS wave file instead."

Okay, I'll stop trying to be cute. Basically, you just tell CDA to open a different file and it applies the project settings (including the track list) to the new file. Works like a charm!

As for setting up the track list to begin with, you just need to be sure there are no gaps between the frame of the end of one song and the frame of the start of the next. You can verify this by looking at the timing sheet and making sure the numbers match.

Good luck!

Okay, I just thought I'd share my thoughts on CD burning speed since you guys have been mentioning it... Why in the name of all that is holy do you waste your precious time by burning your discs at 1x? That would drive me insane! I burn all my discs at the highest speed possible (which, in my case, is 12x.)

I know that some systems may have problems at higher speeds, but once you verify that your system works at the higher burning speeds, there is no reason not to use it. You don't get better quality sound or whatever at lower speeds. It either works or it doesn't. If you're unsure of this, have your burning software do a verify after a few burns at higher speeds until you feel confidant that you're getting proper burns. Then shut the verify off. Then enjoy the time you're saving.

That's because too many people try to put analog rules on top of a digital medium. Faster = Less quality... Unless the disc or the recorder is poor quality, speed doesn't matter that much, and its been proven time and time again.

Also, with regard to burning at 1x, I have read that burning at this speed can actually cause discs to play back incorrectly.

I think his main problem is using the Adaptec software. You really need some advanced tools to do what you're trying to do. You need something like Vegas or similar to be able to place track indexes on the fly during long wav files. I used CD architect for years, but they stopped making it and it would no longer support new burners. Now, I use Video Vegas, which has the old CD Arch engine. It's not as slick, but it still works just fine.

WinOnCd has the possibility to load a single big wave and then create a tracklist from the single wave. I've used it for dts encoding and works ok. Since you see a big NOISE wave, the best way i've found is, when i have completed the work on the tracks, i take one channel (usually left front) and write a note of the time for every track to set the track change on WoC.

I know how you feel. I have a similar problem, but in my case my player is at fault and not the DTS disc. My RCA player also mutes between tracks, and this is with store-bought DTS discs! There is an article in, I believe, the May issue of Sound and Vision magazine, in the Tech Talk section that discusses this very issue. The surprising thing is that this happens to DVD-A discs also! In summary, a disc may be perfectly OK, but the player can't assimilate the between-track info in time, and there is a dropout. In this case the recommendation is to get a better player (such as a Pioneer Elite) to make the problem go away. It's kind of frustrating that as audio depends more and more on computer software, we have to live with unacceptable problems that the computer industry long ago accepted as the norm, i.e. computer software that crashes all the time.

Back