DTS (DVD or DTS-CD) to DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
If you are looking to take a DTS stream from a DVD and burn it to a DVD-A for use in the car, it can be done... but.... it is kind of a pain in the ass to do. There are many steps involved and it takes quite a while to complete (maybe about 2 hours to complete). The same can be done to your DTS cds but once again, it takes a while and you have to have a bunch of software to do it (all free but you need it none the less). Then you need a program, either Wavelab 5.01a or Discwelder (Bronze or Chrome will do nicely) to create the DVD-A from the extracted wavs. Once again, it is a time-consuming process.

check out this link:
http://www.app.demon.nl/DTSguide.htm

It seems, at least with some players, it can be as easy as mp3's or wavs (see this thread). If you can burn DVD-A and know how to make DTS wavs you can even do it by accident :)

But I guess your point is extracting the DTS from DVD-V and convert it to 1411 kbs DTS in wav.

edit: your link seems dead

Hello guys !

I was wondering if there was an easier way to achieve nowadays DTS (DVD or DTS-CD) to DVD-A.. Or even DVD-V, I would be fine with only pure DTS streams, no other streams and no video.

Since 2004, I hope there was some changes ;-)

I have been crawling on the web (including this forum) for 4 hours and got nothing, except http://dtsac3.com/engels/maestro.html but it's SO complicated I can't believe there are no other way, these days, to author a simple DVD with .dts steams.

I use two very simple programs;

1. DVD Audio Extractor http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/ - will easily extract the DTS or Dolby stream and convert into a multichannel wave file up to 48khz/ 24 bit

2. HD-Audio Solo Ultra http://www.cirlinca.com/highresolution.htm - converts the multichannel wave file into DVD - Audio (up to 96/24 for multichannel and 192/24 for stereo) and/or DVD-Video and burns directly to DVD R (5 or 9)- no menus or video but you can use screen capture to insert JPEG's for viewing (up to 10 per track) - it will even overlay the track title over the screen.

If for any reason you need to edit the multichannel wave file first (ie. remove overly long or self indulgent song intros or audience applause pre or post song) there is a cool shareware program called Wavosaur http://www.wavosaur.com which makes it simple to edit and create fade ins and outs as well.

I wouldn't mind spending 2 hours to convert an album from one format to another...even with my hectic schedule of work, school, children, etc.

What actually frustrates me is that despite the web being a public place, no one seems to have created a step-by-step web page or a download on how to do this ... at least not with free or low-cost software/hardware for those of us on something of a budget.

I can backup my DVD-A collection with ease, but I'd be REALLY interested in learning how to convert my SACD collection to DTS as well as creating upmixes from CD's that I know will NEVER see a commercial surround release.

Dan

I wouldn't mind spending 2 hours to convert an album from one format to another...even with my hectic schedule of work, school, children, etc.

What actually frustrates me is that despite the web being a public place, no one seems to have created a step-by-step web page or a download on how to do this ... at least not with free or low-cost software/hardware for those of us on something of a budget.

I can backup my DVD-A collection with ease, but I'd be REALLY interested in learning how to convert my SACD collection to DTS as well as creating upmixes from CD's that I know will NEVER see a commercial surround release.

Dan

The aforementioned software costs less than $100 total - and if you read the documentation that accompanies it, do a little trial and error ( I myself am no computer wiz) - voila! By the way, HD audio solo ultra will upconvert stereo CD's to 5.1 96/24 DVD A with the single click of a button. The process of extracting the audio stream and converting it into a wave file typically takes about 10 minutes. Creating the DVD A disc - maybe half an hour tops.

On a budget, the hardest part is the final authoring to DVDA - the most reliable options are either
A - Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo or
B - Minnetonka Audio's DiscWelder Bronze.
neither of these can create 5.1 at 24/96, but both will do Quad at 24/96 (bandwidth restrictions).
To take the DTS streams & convert back to WAV format can be done with freeware as well. You need 2 applications for this.
1 - DVD Decrypter (sadly this was banned by Sony, who hit the developer with a cease & desist order although the application can be found easily enough)
2 - Tranzcode - and for even easier operation, also the TranzGui front end for this.
First you load the DVD up, and set into IFO mode, after initially going into the setup dialogue & ensuring that stream processing is selected.
This should automatically open up on the main timeline. Go into the stream processing tab, and deselect everything except the DTS stream.
Depending on what you need to use for authoring there are also options in setup to create text files with the chapter points. The one for DVD-Lab will give you the values in HH:MM:SS
When you have selected the DTS stream, and deselected the video & alt audio streams subtitle streams, make sure the DEMUX option is selected & that the DTS stream is highlighted.
Rip the stream, which will demux to the pure DTS stream (albeit with a funny name that could usually use being changed to something more descriptive for ease of use later on)
Now run up TranzGui, and select the DTS stream we obtained in the previous step. This will give you the 6 mono WAV files at 32-bit floating point at 48KHz.
All you now need to do is create your final DVDA.

DVD Audio Extractor is working , thanks. What a piece of work though! Certainly not going to donate to this one. The "encountered a serious error" message you get when quitting via the exit button made me LOL.

Hey Jim.
DVD Audio Extractor? Isn't this a simple DVD-V "rip the audio" tool?
If so, you could really use DVD Decrypter instead - it's defunct now (the creator got forced to stop development) but it is seriously reliable.
You should be able to find it easily enough, but drop me a PM if you have no luck.
Set that in it's options (Tools/Settings/IFO mode) to enable stream processing, make sure all places where splitting is mentioned to set this to "file".
Also, set the reports/log files to give you whatever your most used DVD-Video app is - DVD Lab if using that - there is a list. That will give you the chapter points (or song markers)
When ripping, set "Stream Processing" tab, untick all except the DTS stream, and make sure this is highlighted in blue & "Demux" is selected - then you are good to go
The only other tool you need is Tranzcode if you want to convert to WAV files ready to encode to DTS-WAV

If you get stuck, shout & I will write a guide.

Hey Neil,
I really appreciate your help. Here's a question for you: What can I use to decode DTS and send 6 channels to an audio interface directly from the computer? You know, to play a DVD Video disc with lossy dts surround. I have multiple audio interfaces available to core audio. I'd prefer OSX apps but windows apps seem to run fine with Wine.

Have you tried VLC Media Player?
It's open source & cross-platform.
Sadly, I am totally ignorant when it comes to macs though, so don't really know what works well or not.

Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to create a DVDA from a DTS-CD (specifically a CD), the link in the first post is no longer active. I tried ripping with dbpoweramp and dropping it into Chrome, but got the dreaded static. I don't think it pulled the separate WAVs out correctly.
Any ideas? This is for a player that won't play dts.

You should be able to rip any DTS CD perfectly with Exact Audio Copy. Tranzcode, I believe, does handle extracting the monos from DTS WAVs. I don't think Audiomuxer does so yet, but you could always try to request that from Ply4it @ SurroundByUs. As a matter of fact, this would be a much better question for that site.

It's a somewhat working Panasonic DVD-RP91 that plays DVD great but no kind of CD, might need a new laser assembly to fix it, passed off to a friend/coworker in a nearby town who set up some large/small Advents with two integrated amps to experience this "quad" I keep talking about at work.
I was thinking that when he buys an Oppo he'd pass it back to me and I'd use it for the deck speakers this summer but I'd like to be able to play some of my DTS backups.
Thanks for the info, I'll look into Tranzcode when I get back to it.

Last edited:
Still pain in the a$$. I'm thinking of a three step method which may need the fewest mouse clicks:
1) DTS-CD + EAC with eac3to as a configured CD ripper, DTS decoder and channel splitter -> whole CD image as 6 decoded 16/44.1 mono wav files + cue sheet (I'm not sure if this step is feasible)
2) 6 mono wav files + Surcode MLP Encoder -> mlp file
3) mlp file + cue sheet + cue2wld + DiscWelder Chrome -> DVD-A
Tonight I'lll check this method out if it works.

Still pain in the a$$. I'm thinking of a three step method which may need the fewest mouse clicks:
1) DTS-CD + EAC with eac3to as a configured CD ripper, DTS decoder and channel splitter -> whole CD image as 6 decoded 16/44.1 mono wav files + cue sheet (I'm not sure if this step is feasible)
2) 6 mono wav files + Surcode MLP Encoder -> mlp file
3) mlp file + cue sheet + cue2wld + DiscWelder Chrome -> DVD-A
Tonight I'lll check this method out if it works.
DiscWelder Chrome is only $2,599
- but it does not say it runs on Win 10. But that's ok I have a 7 and a XP machine that can handle anything.

Slip me a message if I am looking at the wrong places.

I need to burn a DVD-A with some quad 24/96 wav files.

Back