DTS / DVD Playback for Vehicle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
The last car stereo I purchased was a TOYO Quadio 8-track quad tape player in high school, so, needless to say, I'm not exactly up on the latest mobile technology. I would like to buy a mobile dvd player that will also play dts encoded cdr's. Boss and Pyle make several units. An example of what I am talking about is a unit like this;
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...1371675188
I am more interested in a free standing AC/DC dvd player than a dash mounted unit. I want to use it in my motor home and if it was a non-dash style, I could also use it in the house as a dvd player if it wasn't a dash mount. I'm assuming that these days, you don't buy something as a single package. Meaning that the amplifiers are not in the units. You purchase a separate amplifier. So, my questions are;

1.) If you purchase a unit that has dts or dolby digital playback, how do you power it? I have seen some 4 channel auto amplifiers, but I have not seen any 5.1 channel amplifiers.

2.) Do you need multiple amplifiers? A four channel to handle front L &R and rear L & R, then a mono amp for your center channel and another mono amp for your sub woofer?

3.) The other thing I've noticed in searching Ebay is that most of these AC/DC DVD players are dolby digital and dts "capable." So, there is no decoder built in, just a digital output that can be fed to a decoder. Are there outboard dts and dolby digital decoders available for vehicles?

4.)While the mobile dvd players are very reasonably priced, if I need to buy all these individual components it seems like it's going to get pretty expensive. Are their units you can buy as a packaged deal that have the decoders, the players and the amps all built in?

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hey Doc!

Here is something I am currently working on and maybe this will help you in your research. I purchased a very nice little DVD-V player at Fry's Electronic for about $140.00. It is made by Qwestar and is model "Traveling DVD Video Player". It is AC/DC and comes with a power supply, 115 VAC in 15 VDC @ 2.8a out. On the rear of the unit is a socket to connect 1 other additional 12 VDC device. Also on the rear panel are 2 coaxial video outputs, L & R stereo coaxial outputs and 1 coaxial digital output. On the front it has 2 auxillary inputs, each with video and L & R stereo inputs (for nintendo, vcr, etc.). It comes with a shock absorbing base about 2" thick and all the cables. Size is 8 1/2" x 10" x 3" (without the base).

I also have a Sherwood X-DTS80 12 VDC decoder which I bought on eBay for $40.00. I've seen them go for even less. It operates comfortably with the power connector plugged into the back of the above DVD-V player. It has 2 coaxial digital inputs, L & R stereo inputs, and 6 coaxial outputs. Size is 6" x 6" x 1".

I am still shopping around for a bargain on a good 4 channel, 12 VDC amp to power front and surround speakers.

I purchased an FM Modulator which goes in-line between the vehicle antenna and the in-dash stereo CD/AM/FM player. Cost was $13.00. This unit has 2 coaxial mono inputs and allows you to tune your FM receiver to 1 of 8 selectable frequencies to use the amp in the stereo. I plan to use those for the center and sub speakers.

I have seen the 5" LCD screens going for about $150.00 now on advertised specials.

My problem is I have a Toyota pickup! It's a bit small for 6 speakers and all this gear, but I thought it might be fun to play with. I think this might be an ideal, inexpensive system for something like a motor home or even a mid-sized passenger car.

Well, anyway, there's my 2 cents. HTH.

QM

www.dtstech.com/consumer/
Go to this site and click on the section for mobile and or receivers with d.t.s. and you'll find a list of Brands for every possible combo amps decoders etc. also another site for a 12volt 19" rack and mobile decoder just for d.t.s. you'll have room for this one in a mobile home and it's great, quick to detect and I use it for home and mobile , 1 each.
www.5point1.com/millennium.html

You can get it for 299.00 if you ask for it at that price... since they don't have the silver one any more!! ask!!!!
It has coax and fiber optic -tos-link and 5.1 pass thru anolouge.and adj. surr.center sub, and output volume and 2COOL Blue LEDS! :smokin:

Rob

Rob & QM,
Thanks for the suggestions. They are very helpful and give me a better idea of what I need to search for. Regarding your suggestions, I had a few more questions;

1. QM- Do you have an actual model number on your Qwestar dvd player? I know you list the name of the model, but I was wondering if there was a model number I might use for seeking it out on the web.

2. QM- You mention, "On the rear of the unit is a socket to connect 1 other additional 12 VDC device." What sort of a socket is this? Is it a female cigarette lighter-type socket, or something else?

3. Rob & QM - Regarding the Sherwood X-DTS80 12 VDC decoder and the Millennium decoder, are those strictly dts decoders? Just wondering because some of the dvd-audio cd's have dolby digital alternate soundtracks rather than dts. That's the case w/ many dvd movies as well. I'd like to have the option of decoding those dolby digital surround tracks also. Do these decoders also handle dolby digital?

4. Rob - From the description of the Millennium, I'm assuming it's designed to be powered by dc, but can be used in the home with an AC converter?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

Hey again Doc!

The Qwestar is model #MVP350. I forgot to mention it will also play CDs/CD-Rs/CD-RWs/MP3s and VCDs and comes with a remote. The colorful LED display gives you full info on status at all times and an on screen menu allows you to create playlists from the MP3s on the disc. I'm personally not big on MP3s, but just in case you are. The socket on the rear is the same as most power supply sockets, i.e. it's a hole about 1/4" diameter (- 12 VDC) and has a single, center pin (+ 12 VDC) about 1/16" diameter.

The Sherwood will not decode DD 5.1, but it does a fair job synthesizing surround sound from a stereo track.

I have a 20 amp 14 VDC power supply in my ham shack that I also use to charge my model sailplane batteries, so the Millenium wouldn't be a problem for me either way (AC or DC), although I don't know if it's either or both. I'm sure Rob can answer that for you.

Good luck,
QM

The Millenium 246 is a D.T.S. Decoder only and is 12 volt D.C., and comes with a Wall Wart Tranformer for A.C. Home Juice! :smokin:

It's made for the home and can be used for mobile .
It's a nice 19"- "rack mountable" unit that is 12volt as I believe a lot of M.S.B. stuff is. it's abot 1&1/2" high by 19" wide and about 6" deep -Black/and those Cool "Blue" LEDs!
Go to the site and take a look at it!
8o - Rob

Back