DTS Music Videos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
It used to be that if you saw the DTS logo on a music video, you were practically guaranteed a fantastic surround mix. All of the questionable mixes tended to end up on titles with Dolby Digital tracks with no DTS. So, when I would go shopping for music videos, I would tend to stick to just those with DTS tracks. Until recently, this strategy has served me very well.

Unfortunately, this strategy is no longer effective. I suppose it is a good thing to see more and more music video titles available with DTS soundtracks, but unfortunately this means more and more with sub-par DTS surround mixes.

Case in point, I just purchased two DVD's produced by a company called Classic Pictures. One is by the Beach Boys and the other is by the Who. Each is titled "Special Edition EP" and contains four music videos of the respective bands offering DTS surround tracks.

While the sound quality is stunning, and the picture quality is quite good, the DTS surround tracks are nothing more than "surround-from-stereo" ambience in the rears. I've come to expect this with music videos offering Dolby Digital tracks, but this is the first time I've seen this lame approach using DTS. I really hope this trend does not continue, but I have a bad feeling we will be seeing more and more DTS titles such as these.

Back