DTS muting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ccm0114

I recently got a cheap RCA DVD player that can play DTS music discs. So I immediately ran out and got a commercial DTS disc. Upon playing the disc, I find that there is a short mute between tracks. This is pretty annoying when the tracks normally blend together without a fade in or fade out. Is this typical of DTS discs, or is this an artifact of the cheap DVD player?

If you have a commercial DTS disc that is not supposed to have silence between the tracks, and you are getting silence between the tracks, then it is your player.

BTW, what disc are we talking about here?

This was a sounds effects disc, The Strom and the Sea by Mystic Moods. Unfortunately, there are a couple dozen tracks on this disc, with each track being only a few seconds each. So, sitting there listening to it, I keep getting mutes all the time. Entirely unacceptable. Guess I need a better player. I would love to get something like an Apex, but I hear that the quality is pretty bad on that unit. And no one else makes a combo DTS/DVD-A/SACD player (yet). Reminds me of the old quad days. I still have my Pioneer QX-949 'cause nobody makes anything as versatile.

There is a universal player out besides the Apex. It's the Pioneer DV-47A. You can find it for around $800.00 if you do a little research. Marantz has also announced a universal player for release later this year but expect it to be around 1600.00.

mike

Back