DTS Neo:X 11.1 Channel Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crikey! really!?

I know BD can theoretically have a "limitless" number of channels of sound but I wonder how many people are setup to take advantage of this?

my rigs only set up for 9.1 (that's seemingly the best my AVR can do - and its the maximum number of speakers the room can comfortably accommodate anyway!) and no material I have so far is mixed beyond 7.1 channels (Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio movies) has there been anything commercially released mixed in 9.1? if not, it's quite a leap to go from 7.1 to 11.1..!

I wonder if this is a precursor to Dolby Atmos BD's with oodles of speakers needed everywhere in your room..?!?

guessing this movies mixed/presented as Front L/R, Centre, Surround L/R, Rear Surrounds x 4 and Front Height/Presence Channels x 2..?

http://asia.cnet.com/expendables-2-blu-ray-disc-boasts-dts-neox-audio-62219046.htm

so DTS Neo X gives additional "front height" AND "front width" channels (2 channels apiece)...

..that'd effectively mean having SEVEN speakers across the front soundstage alone..

with "only" four surrounds..

..not only could that be severely imbalanced towards the front, but just in the sheer amount of sound information coming from the front alone, that's got to be overkill, if a greater "surround" sensation is the end goal..??

Hi Fredblue

hey maybe 22.2 is right, at least that can solve the front/ back balance issue - and the wife would love that!

Regards

Charlie

http://asia.cnet.com/expendables-2-blu-ray-disc-boasts-dts-neox-audio-62219046.htm

so DTS Neo X gives additional "front height" AND "front width" channels (2 channels apiece)...

..that'd effectively mean having SEVEN speakers across the front soundstage alone..

with "only" four surrounds..

..not only could that be severely imbalanced towards the front, but just in the sheer amount of sound information coming from the front alone, that's got to be overkill, if a greater "surround" sensation is the end goal..??

Back