DTS-CD DTS PLAYBACK PROBLEM

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himey

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Am I the only one who has playback problems when mixing FLAC (PCM) and DTS (DTS with FLAC wrapper) in the same playlist/cue.

The transition from pcm files to dts files makes my processor playback static.

I have read that is why some people rip dts to standard flac pcm even with the larger file size.

My DTS files were made with Audiomuxer with the "Convert AC3/DTS to SPDIF Wav/Flac" conversion option.

EDIT...Sorry but I forgot to mention that I am streaming from a media server and that is my problem. I realize not many people are set up like this but any advice is welcomed. Maybe I should just stop streaming even though it is convenient other than this issue.

Last edited:
Hey himey.

I’ll finish the MMH remix tool today I was working on a couple weeks ago before I got gastro, that will batch convert FLAC with DTS embedded to PCM FLAC, retaining tags. I’m feeling a lot better although I’m still not 100%.

I wouldn’t want to ever stop streaming just to resolve that issue. Although the file size is larger it’s actually faster to convert DTS to PCM FLAC, disc space is cheap and PCM FLAC can be played on just about every device, so better future proofing option.

Hey himey.

I’ll finish the MMH remix tool today I was working on a couple weeks ago before I got gastro, that will batch convert FLAC with DTS embedded to PCM FLAC, retaining tags. I’m feeling a lot better although I’m still not 100%.

I wouldn’t want to ever stop streaming just to resolve that issue. Although the file size is larger it’s actually faster to convert DTS to PCM FLAC, disc space is cheap and PCM FLAC can be played on just about every device, so better future proofing option.

Wow. That sounds great. I have a hard drive coming tomorrow. I have been ripping DSD to FLAC, and the thought of also doing DTS to FLAC manually was becoming a bit tiresome. Thanks for the refreshing post and I look forward to giving it a go.

@himey The new MMH with Conversion of 2ch DTS encoded FLAC to 6ch PCM FLAC is being uploaded now.

Its taking forever (slow internet since CV self isolation), and I'll let you know when ready. I've tested on your two test files successfully. Tags including album art are copied to the new FLAC. There's an option to Overwrite or create in a sub-folder. If you use Overwrite I'd suggest you keep separate backups of the originals, at lease until you are happy with the results.

Its in the Remix tool. A new option to "Convert DTS FLAC to PCM FLAC' at top right.

The only correct way to store a DTS stream is in a MKA container. This works well on Kodi, I'm not sure about other streaming devices.
When muxed using mkvmerge 44khz DTS streams are stored at 1234kbit and 48 or 96khz at 1509kbit.
Your correct that disc storage is so cheap so why worry, but what about backing up. I like to have backups of everything on optical media so keeping file sizes sensible is still important to me.

There are 2 ways of using the MKA container, You can mux with chapter information included inside the file, Kodi will then 'Open' the MKA file and show you the tracks, however the issue with this is that it will not play gapless, there is a slight pause between tracks which is annoying.
I prefer to mux the MKA with no chapter or metadata and include this in a separate cue sheet, The we get gapless playback.

Conversion to PCM FLACs also solves these problems but with a massive increase in file size.
Its also not the case the everybody can play multichannel flacs (not without on the fly conversion to AC3), some of use still refused to upgrade to a HDMI capable receiver :) I still believe HD Audio is a con!

There are 2 ways of using the MKA container, You can mux with chapter information included inside the file, Kodi will then 'Open' the MKA file and show you the tracks, however the issue with this is that it will not play gapless, there is a slight pause between tracks which is annoying.
I prefer to mux the MKA with no chapter or metadata and include this in a separate cue sheet, The we get gapless playback.

Conversion to PCM FLACs also solves these problems but with a massive increase in file size.
Its also not the case the everybody can play multichannel flacs (not without on the fly conversion to AC3), some of use still refused to upgrade to a HDMI capable receiver :) I still believe HD Audio is a con!

The file size increase from my first test album, Stormwatch, went from 513 MB for the DTS in a FLAC wrapper to 1.93 GB for the standard PCM FLAC.

This is a worse case scenario because it is a 24/96 (5.1) DTS file, and the output remains 24/96 (5.1).

I will check out MKA and see how compatible it is with Plex server, jRiver, Foobar2000 and Musicbee, but the reason for converting is strictly compatibility since there is no sound quality loss in this case, and I would think that FLAC would win that battle.

Not sure if I can help but My own experience ripping DTS surround into FLAC surround is very successful.
Place DTS in Disc Ripping machine.
Open in Foobar 2000, make sure up to date and the DTS Encoder plug in is installed.
Click File>open audio>Rip>last used preset (I send to my documents)>a converting window will pop up.
There are two tagging options to select before you hit RIP, if one doesn't tag the other one usually will.
Rename folder and send to your hard drive, works perfect with JRiver.

Not sure if I can help but My own experience ripping DTS surround into FLAC surround is very successful.
Place DTS in Disc Ripping machine.
Open in Foobar 2000, make sure up to date and the DTS Encoder plug in is installed.
Click File>open audio>Rip>last used preset (I send to my documents)>a converting window will pop up.
There are two tagging options to select before you hit RIP, if one doesn't tag the other one usually will.
Rename folder and send to your hard drive, works perfect with JRiver.

All my discs are already ripped to dts with flac wrapper and perfectly tagged with artwork. I saved all the DVD files too for the extras and menu features which I rarely watch/listen to.

For backup, I am keeping both in addition to the newly created standard FLACs.

Back