DTS:X Surround Music - Any news on future releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my Yamaha update with Neural:X - wow, it is even more "active" than the Dolby Surround Upscale that came with the processor. Like DSU it upscales everything I feed it with and engage all 12 speakers. I have 7.1.4, seven speakers in surround and 4 on the ceiling - the 4 on the ceiling are much more active in Neural:X - really great. Will test more, but Neural:X seems to be an improvement from DSU.

Well I got my update yesterday for DTS-X but will need a new speaker alignment -arrgghhhh. Presently my Pioneer SC-95 (awesomeness) is Atmos enabled setup it's either a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 : probably the latter. That being said I tried my new NEURAL -X and what an incredible experience.
Test CD Discs
Aphrodite's Child 666
ELP Pictures at an Exhibition
ELP Fanfare for the common man, Pirates
The Unreleased ELP album, Keith Emerson doing Green Onions
Mary Fahl Limited release of 4 Arias (if you have never heard Mary Fahl - get your head out of your @$$)
Limited Release of In a gadda da vida (guilty pleasure)
Pink Floyd Electric Moo Tracks Grantchester Meadows and Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict. OK real stoner stuff.

Music is in the ear of the beholder- I was brought to tears twice. This is revolutionary stuff in my opinion, Am I alone?

I tried my new NEURAL -X and what an incredible experience.

ELP Pictures at an Exhibition
ELP Fanfare for the common man, Pirates

Music is in the ear of the beholder- I was brought to tears twice. This is revolutionary stuff in my opinion, Am I alone?

You musical tastes are beyond compare. And no, you are not alone. I am with you in spirit. But since it took me years to get a system running in 5.1 inclusive of SACD & DVD-A & BluRay, I'm not sure how I can take the next step consistent with my current budget. But. your new method to listen sounds truly remarkable. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this new tech.

Howdy y'all,

I have found a double quad speaker base with additional side surround upper, 4.2.6 works best. The base level preserves the sterio image exactly as recorded, the rears (side surround) placed at 120 deg, handle both quad/multi channel perfectly. The height layer basically mirrors the base quad layer, with standard, directional speakers in front plus two pair of non directional (quad poles in my case) on the side to slightly in front and slightly behind (110-120 deg.).

I have fooled around with multiple speaker types and placements. Ditching the center is the single best improvement. I never found utility in the base layer Surround Rears, nothing has changed with new format. The second biggest improvement comes from using non directional speakers and adding upper surround rears. Since these are all synthesized output channels, they create a nice envelope, but still provide doppler shift and other sonic cues. And yes, two subs are better than one.

For those with space challenges, a double quad is all you really need for excellent DtsX/Atmos reproduction.

Full disclosure, I am a crazy person and spend way too much time with this stuff.

I'm a little bit surprised there's no push for DTS:X music albums like there is with Dolby Digital beyond some test disc numbers.

Back