Dual front left and right speaker pairs, why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly what the OP was asking about, but I used to have paired speakers at front L/R. They were not matched. The main pair were homemade without much concern to the "design" aspect. The second pair were actually Minimus 7s wired out of phase and set opposite of the main speakers - left was right and vice versa. I borrowed the idea from Bob Carver. Carver made a speaker that incorporated the same idea in one speaker. The spacing of the out of phase speakers was around 7 to 8 inches back from the front of the main pair to mimic the spacing of ears on the average human head. For my listening experience this gave a spaciousness to the sound image that added to my quad setups already "big" sound. One big thing I did wrong with this setup was the main pair were my "A" speakers and the OOP pair were my "B" speakers. My amp had an A+B speaker selection and I ran it switched to that. This actually put the speaker load way too low. After several years I basically destroyed the power amp as it was designed to go to 8 ohms, but not less which was the effect of my wiring. (Yes, I knew that going in.) It made a big difference to the sound field when switching the B pair out. Due to circumstances outside of my control - disabled wife/listening room now bedroom/etc - I no longer have a listening setup in the house, although I have all the components to put one together.

Back