Dual Disc DualDisc Article from 2005 - Interesting read

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the big stores that i see tend to have more space devoted to movies than cd's...so i found the bit interesting that stated...'value simply wasn’t there for a $18.95 disc when a two-hour movie could be had on DVD-Video for $24.95, complete with added values and a surround sound mix"
alot of record companies now are storing music to hard drives for future use as downloads...you'll sort of have everything available (in print) without having to rely on a store to stock it with dwindling shelf space....just hope they have a good backup system..

I've never understood why if Sony could develop a hybrid SACD (which is effectively a DVD layer on top of a CD layer, with either/or playable on the same side) they then had to develop a flipper disc which needed to be thicker than regular discs to accommodate a separate side of CD (which didn't conform to Sony's own redbook standard! WTF!??) and separate DVD disc, leading to player incompatibility etc..?? SACD did everything bar video (though I imagine some compressed mpeg could have been squeezed in somewhere) and it had the capability to read two distinct layers why that technology couldn't have been adapted to introduce DualDisc (seeing as DualDisc didn't have genuine redbook CD anyway)..?? I'm hoping someone can explain why the hybrid layer method would not be possible for DualDisc? DVD player compatibility (or "read"?) problems/incompatibility?

Good point about "Hybrid DVDs"....

This is just a guess, but I suppose the DVD players specs would need to be changed to handle the Hybrid CD/DVDs, you'd need to have an option to switch between CD layer or the DVD layer (like you do on a SACD player)...

ah.. now I get what you mean, like the "priority" setting on Universal disc players, so the player defaults to either CD layer, Stereo SACD layer or Surround SACD layer on a Hybrid SACD. yeah they could put one of those in easy enough.

I'm sure there must be a reason why there never was a "Hybrid DVD". Money/corporate greed on Sony's part more than likely..

Every once in a while, when I really want to get pissed off at something, I read the article in Post #1 and just get totally annoyed.

I HATE DUAL-DISC AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR AND DID TO SACD/DVD-A.

Every once in a while, when I really want to get pissed off at something, I read the article in Post #1 and just get totally annoyed.

I HATE DUAL-DISC AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR AND DID TO SACD/DVD-A.
hey Jon, it's not an issue of format but approach of the industry to.
at that time DualDisc really was more convenient and acceptable for mass market than SACD respectively.
sadly so much promised "advanced resolution" mainly were stereo at 48/16 or surround in DD.
add to this for most part a use for such "advanced resolution" simple upsampled audio stream, prepped for CD,
with all typical compression and normalization (a la loudness) and you have everything in place for guaranteed failure.
after all, let's be honest, pretty much same approach was to DVDAs and SACDs. in best case of comparison, improvement
of the sound on DVDA/SACD over CDs can be put in ratio 50/50.

hey Jon, it's not an issue of format but approach of the industry to.
at that time DualDisc really was more convenient and acceptable for mass market than SACD respectively.
sadly so much promised "advanced resolution" mainly were stereo at 48/16 or surround in DD.
add to this for most part a use for such "advanced resolution" simple upsampled audio stream, prepped for CD,
with all typical compression and normalization (a la loudness) and you have everything in place for guaranteed failure.
after all, let's be honest, pretty much same approach was to DVDAs and SACDs. in best case of comparison, improvement
of the sound on DVDA/SACD over CDs can be put in ratio 50/50.

What bothered me the most was that

1) Sony already had a perfect "DualDisc", the SACD
2) WB already had a perfect solution to the whole DVD/CD thing with the CD+DVD-A package (Flaming Lips, Running on Empty, etc)
3) Sony instead of hammering the SACD format and going in for the market saturation with a ton of SACD releases instead basically dropped SACD for the DualDisc, and WB as well abandoned DVD-A for the DualDisc, then the even more pathetic MVI disc.

DualDisc was a product doomed to failure, created in a panic, and poorly executed to boot. Add to that the incompatibility with some players and you have a dud. DudDisc.

well, there not problems in neither formats. every got the chance to become mainstream.
problem in mentality of top managers of recording industry, who sees consumers as an idiots.
you know "we will put on the package fancy "advanced resolution" sign and those idiots will line up for it at stores".
have you noticed, for most part really quality product come from small, independent labels and only the people, dedicated to what they doing.
as a result, the giants of industry has delivered almost nothing, to support initial claims in regard of novelty and huge improvement of quality, leave alone SELECTION.

Back