Dual Disc DualDisc Surround Listing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey timbre4,

I noticed you moved Tipper "Surrounded" to Dolby Digital (from DVD-A); so I got mine out again to see if I had made a mistake before. It is definitely DVD-A. Is it possible there are two types out there? My audio menu has options for Advanced Resolution, Dolby Digital and Stereo.

I moved it back to DVD-A based on my observations, but maybe we need another entry in DD as well.

- Ben

Sukotothai,

I tracked it down and re-checked it and mine is indeed DVD-A! I also re-checked my Widespread Panics & The Fixx and these are DVD-A too. I stand corrected, actually glad to be wrong on these. So I'm 1 for 1 and 0 for 5 so far. I moved them back into DVD-A, promoted these up to the DVD-A shelf too.

Nowhere do they say Advanced Resolution and the DD logo is prominent, somehow this got by me and I stuck them in an SACD/DVD changer.

Tim

R.E.M.'s Document is DVD-A 96/24 5.1 / DVD-A 48/24 Stereo / DTS & DD 5.1
Crowded House - Crowded House DualDisc is identical to the DVD-A
Gretchen Wilson's Here For The Party is 5.1 (I have to dig it our for more info on it.)
3 Jane Monheit's are all 5.1 - Come Dream With Me, Never Never Land & In The Sun.
Come Dream and Never Land are also DVD-As as well as DualDiscs.

I found a couple more.
Barenaked Ladies - Everything to Everyone - DVDA 5.1 dualdisc - testmarket dualdisc, later issued as DVDA + CD 2 disc set
Djabe - Message From The Road - CD + DTS dualdisc 2 disc set

One that says it is 5.1 but is not, DJ Jad Milano - New York - it is a dualdisc, but is stereo only.

vinylguy4

I kinda like Djabe also.
Inside the dualdisc should be a booklet listing the Gramy releases.
There were a couple other surround releases listed for Djabe. One I did recently get was
Djabe - Slices Of Life - DVD-V with DD and DTS 5.1 surround
Another one listed in the booklet was Djabe - Tancolnak a kazlak- listed as DVD-Audio with MLP, DTS , DD 5.1 - featuring Steve Hacket
in english, title is Sheafs are Dancing.
the same title is also listed as released on DVD-V but no mention of 5.1.

I also see Djabe - Take on - DVD Audio at gramy.com

vinylguy4

Last edited:
R.E.M.'s Document is DVD-A 96/24 5.1 / DVD-A 48/24 Stereo / DTS & DD 5.1

Are you sure there is dvd-audio on REM Document? I just received one in the mail today and see no indication of anything other than dts and dolby digital on the dualdisc. I'm holding off on opening it.

Do you actually own this dualdisc? If so does the packaging on yours indicate anything different than mine?

Are you sure there is dvd-audio on REM Document? I just received one in the mail today and see no indication of anything other than dts and dolby digital on the dualdisc. I'm holding off on opening it.

Do you actually own this dualdisc? If so does the packaging on yours indicate anything different than mine?

I have the Dual Disc and the package is misleading however my Pioneer shows the audio as PPCM 96/24, so yes it is DVD-Audio.

Anna Vissi "Nylon" was listed by Cai and now I can slot it. Thanks. Any good?.

not sure what do you mean. if the genre - sort of dance music/eurotech.
here is a link to amazon list with 2 CD set http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Anna-Vissi/dp/B000LPRHRS
if tech side - each of DualDisc consist 5.1DTS mix and 2.0 PCM

here is more which seems not on google list.

Duane Peters And The Humms "Beyond Warped" (Punk) live music series
2005 Immergent
PPCM 4.1 (no center channel)
DD 4.1
DD 2.0
VIDEO_TS video only with DD sound. there no "audio only" streams

Variour Artist Master Series
"Classic Movie Themes"
2006 Silverline
DD 5.1
DD 2.0

Variour Artist Master Series
"Classic Rock Master Series Vol.2"
2006 Silverline
DD 5.1
DD 3.0 (yep, that's what it is, front and center instead of usual stereo)

Silverline Classic
"Saint-Saens "Symphony #3 'Organ'"
Frank "Symphony in D minor" "
PPCM 5.1
DD 5.1
DD 2.0

I'm not seeing Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better - UPC 827969772522- I'm seeing copies of this listed as a Dual Disc on Ebay with the following description; " This DualDisc presents the CD version of YOU COULD HAVE IT SO MUCH BETTER on one side and a DVD version with surround-sound mix and bonus video material (including interviews, studio footage, and a music video for "Do You Want To") on the other."

Another one I found on Ebay is Destiny's Child #1's Dual Disc. The listing has this description; "This DualDisc presents the CD version of #1's on one side and a DVD version with surround-sound mix and bonus material (including seven music videos and a trailer for the DESTINY'S CHILD: LIVE IN ATLANTA concert film) on the other."

Also, I see Bruce Springsteen Devils & Dust listed as being 5.1 on the list here, but in an Ebay description for a Dual Disc for sale it has this description; "The second side of the DualDisc version of DEVILS & DUST contains live acoustic performances of five songs from the album. Springsteen's spoken introductions to the tunes provide an additional level of intimacy to these extra features."
Is that the 5.1 material on the disc or does it really have any 5.1 material?

And can anyone confirm if the other two are indeed 5.1 releases or simply an improper Ebay description?

I set up a docs.google spreadsheet. Here's the link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...DxtqedDZtbmZQYnJmWE55Z2xFclJMSWxsQVE&hl=en_US

If you want to edit, I'll need your google login name to add you to the access list.

Or, it may be simpler to just post your changes/updates here and I'll transfer them to the google doc.

- Ben

Note: "Cai" in the format column are the ones from Cai's list that have not been identified yet.

I'm not seeing Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better

Unfortunately, the "Enhanced Sound" stands for 48/16 stereo LPCM here, be it "Play the Album", "In the Studio" or "Do You Want To" (video) section.

That Destiny's Child is in stereo as well (unlike the other one which boasts good 5.1 DD mix), but The Boss is 5.1 DD.

Unfortunately, the "Enhanced Sound" stands for 48/16 stereo LPCM here, be it "Play the Album", "In the Studio" or "Do You Want To" (video) section.

That Destiny's Child is in stereo as well (unlike the other one which boasts good 5.1 DD mix), but The Boss is 5.1 DD.
Good grief. So, the two Ebay listings that state the dual discs have a surround sound mix are inaccurate and the Springteen listing that says nothing about a surround sound mix has one??? Just goes to show, be careful what you bid on at Ebay. Who knows if the listing is accurate. Thanks for the info

Is there a listing that shows the discs that say that they are only DVD-Video, only to find out its actually a DVD-Audio?

Simple Plan for example....

I will note those listed as only DVD Video in the spreadsheet. All help would be welcome thru this page. Thanks for idea. Anything to help sort this mess.

Would it be easier to list those DualDiscs that are true 'Advanced Resolution' DVD Audio, that are not Silverline, or not confused with CD + DVD combo packs?

There are less real DVDA than Dolby Digital 5.1 or "Enhanced" PCM Stereo DualDiscs, afaik?

Why are all the DualDiscs I want pricey already!

Sometimes being a late starter to Surround is just plain draining. Lol

Back