Dual Disc DualDisc Surround Listing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PK said:
Tell me about it!! I feel your pain as I arrived way late to this party:mad:@:

Sometimes I think about people buying SACDs and DVD-As at retail or in cutout bins and I just shake my fist. Lol

Sometimes I think about people buying SACDs and DVD-As at retail or in cutout bins and I just shake my fist. Lol

Exactly! I'm so jealous when people reminisce about the times when these formats were in their heyday. Although it sounds as though I've missed the pain of multiple releases, non-releases, etc. Oh well, I'm just glad I found the Surround Party. :sun

Toby Keith - Shock'n Y'all is listed as DVD Audio with 48khz/24bit Advanced resolution sound, and 96/24 for Advanced resolution stereo. It is also listed as DVD Video with Dolby surround and stereo. So I assume this is like a lot of dvds made to be playabe in any dvd player, since it has both surround formats.

looking for a little help!

on a Humble Pie high and found "Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go 69" Dual Disc...BUT it's a Silverline disc which i know is generally to be avoided at any cost! also understand it won't be outstanding sound regardless...

does anyone know about the sound quality of this? is it 'as good as it's gonna get'? are there any other options? i do already own the Smokin' sacd....just looking for more...

How was it Fred??

I only tried it out once since I got it Snood.. a mixed bag surround-wise, some mixes good with genuine discrete rear activity, some not so. I would say only pick it up if you see it cheap as there's not much on it that's absolutely essential for us Quaddies :)

looking for a little help!

on a Humble Pie high and found "Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go 69" Dual Disc...BUT it's a Silverline disc which i know is generally to be avoided at any cost! also understand it won't be outstanding sound regardless...

does anyone know about the sound quality of this? is it 'as good as it's gonna get'? are there any other options? i do already own the Smokin' sacd....just looking for more...

Typically the Silverline discs like this have good sound quality, so as far as that goes, it is as good as it gets. The surround on the live stuff is typically just crowd noise and ambience in the rears. Not sure if that helps, but figured I would share my perceptions.

Typically the Silverline discs like this have good sound quality, so as far as that goes, it is as good as it gets. The surround on the live stuff is typically just crowd noise and ambience in the rears. Not sure if that helps, but figured I would share my perceptions.

helps much! at least you didn't say it was awful! thank you

helps much! at least you didn't say it was awful! thank you

Every "live" Silverline disc still sounds better than cd quality. As far as other mixes, they are mostly miss, with a few hits. Peruse the forums and you will find info about the good ones. If you can't find it, it typically sucks.

Every "live" Silverline disc still sounds better than cd quality. As far as other mixes, they are mostly miss, with a few hits. Peruse the forums and you will find info about the good ones. If you can't find it, it typically sucks.

The ones entitled FROM THE FRONT ROW by Silverline are very very poor, and they are live performances. I have Kansas and Foghat and they are unlistenable, IMO. I also have Blues Traveler Truth Be Told and it's slighty better, but I can't listen to it either. Maybe they did some other editions of the Front Row series that were better but I haven't seen or heard about any. They are so bad that I wouldn't try to sell them. When you see them on Ebay they are usually super cheap. I think they did produce some quality material OUTSIDE of the Front Row series and IIRC Silverline also went under another name on some of their content. I'm not disputing what you have said, just trying to add my own experiences to the topic:banana:

The ones entitled FROM THE FRONT ROW by Silverline are very very poor, and they are live performances. I have Kansas and Foghat and they are unlistenable, IMO. I also have Blues Traveler Truth Be Told and it's slighty better, but I can't listen to it either. Maybe they did some other editions of the Front Row series that were better but I haven't seen or heard about any. They are so bad that I wouldn't try to sell them. When you see them on Ebay they are usually super cheap. I think they did produce some quality material OUTSIDE of the Front Row series and IIRC Silverline also went under another name on some of their content. I'm not disputing what you have said, just trying to add my own experiences to the topic:banana:

Wasn't the joke that they should be re-labelled as "LIVE FROM THE PARKING LOT" :yikes

Also, I see Bruce Springsteen Devils & Dust listed as being 5.1 on the list here, but in an Ebay description for a Dual Disc for sale it has this description; "The second side of the DualDisc version of DEVILS & DUST contains live acoustic performances of five songs from the album. Springsteen's spoken introductions to the tunes provide an additional level of intimacy to these extra features."
Is that the 5.1 material on the disc or does it really have any 5.1

One side the Devils & Dust disc is a 5.1 mix of the whole album plus the live videos (which are intimate and good). Because the album has sparce instrumentation the surround is also spare but it's there. The album has a number of good songs on it, especially the title cut. I play it fairly regularly when in a mood for quieter stuff.

Some notes & observations I made on the Devils & Dust 5.1, might prove helpful in trying to get the most out of the surround mix...

Well, I've given this a fair crack of the whip, I've read a lot about what people have to say about it, it's pretty much universally panned from a surround mix perspective, so I thought I'd really take the time to analyse the mix and here's my surround mix observations, specifically as to what there actually is in the rears, with a rather interesting outcome..

- Track 1 = muted strings in the rears,
- Track 2 = muted synth effects in the rears towards the very end of the song,
- Track 3 = muted but rather nice strings all the way through,
- Track 4 = muted backing vocals & acoustic guitar in the rears,
- Track 5 = muted synth in the rears (Black Cowboys),
- Track 6 = a muted lone tambourine in the rears (Maria's Bed),
- Track 7 = muted strings in rears (Silver Palomino),
- Track 8 = muted backing vocals in rears (Jesus Was An Only Son),
- Track 9 = the most horrid distortion in front L&R (something somewhere was seriously overdriven was my first thought but now I'm not sure.. more on that in a minute.. this is the one and only song with absolutely nothing in the rears..),
- Track 10 = muted synth horn & strings in the rears (may be the real thing but its hard to tell even when cranked!),
- Track 11 = muted backing vocals in the rears,
- Track 12 = muted strings.

So.. in a nutshell, the rears are always muted.. its not as if there's nothing in the rears, there's stuff going on there all the time I wonder if something went awry with the authoring of this?

Why? Well, not only is the 5.1 weird/lacking on first listen but here's what I've found -
- the LFE level is way too high,
- front L&R are way too loud too (so they distort at times),
- the rears and the centre channel DO have things happening in them.. the centre has lead vocals on every song right there in the centre.. but centre and rears are so seriously muted compared to the crazy loud fronts & sub you'd never know.

Cai made a good point here in this thread all those years back = raise the rears..

..but I'd go further,
- if you boost the rears and centre to just below their absolute max (+8db on my AVR),
- drop the volume on front L&R and sub approx 50% from where you have them calibrated (so they're set -4db on my AVR, which equates to 12db lower than my centre and rears)..
.. and you suddenly get a rather nice surround mix.

Track 9 is the one anomaly, which I believe suffered the biggest authoring goof on the whole disc, distortion in front L&R plus no rear activity at all when all 11 other tracks have rear channel info, too much of a coincidence?

Anyhoo.. Maybe give it a try if you have this DualDisc, is all I'm saying.

I'm certainly enjoying it a lot more now in surround, with just a bit of (rather extreme volume level, admittedly) tweaking

Unfortunately, I own some of the terrible discs. I don't think they are unlistenable, just better than a cd version, like I said. Then again, I only have two, and both from bands I really like. Obviously that will bias my view. The quality of the ones I have are not bad, just terrible surround. I do own two from Siilverline and sister/other label that I like a lot; Dishwalla--Opalline, and Women On Top. But I totally agree there are some discs like Big Head Todd are not good. I was really disappointed with that, as well as Staind. I was hoping they were as good as their previous discs, but not even close. Like I said before, check out the forums here and if you don't see anything about the disc, chances are you don't want it. Feel free to ask questions, I do when I can't find info.

I think its one of the test market DualDiscs that never got released..

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?2754-Flip-discs-titles-test-marketed

Thanks for the pointer.
It seems the wikipedia page has been updated from what I remember. They added which discs were never released:
"The titles by Fisherspooner and Jane's Addiction were released during the test marketing phase, but were not in the initial shipments. They shipped to the select test market retailers after the test began. Three additional titles were announced as being part of the test, but were never issued: Barbra Streisand: The Movie Album (82796-90789-2-1), Missy Elliott: This is Not a Test (0-7559-62934-2-6) and Sheryl Crow: The Globe Sessions (02498-61433-4)."
- hope it's ok to quote wikipedia

Missy Elliott - This is not a Test - great title for a test market disc.

vinylguy4

Back