Dumbest anti-surround argument you've heard

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumbest anti-surround argument you've ever heard

• Total voters
I remember in grade school, they used to have that thing, like a banner across one of the walls with all of the cursive letters, upper and lower case, from A to Z.

Thinking back, the capital 'I' is probably the one that would give kids today the most trouble figuring out. It sort of looks like a praying mantis! Or at least, that's what I thought back when I was in 3rd grade (before Velcro was invented!)

View attachment 59877
I always thought that a Q was a bit odd, looks more like a number 2.

For one, they don’t teach cursive anymore.

I haaaaaated cursive. Spent kindergarten and first grade mastering printing, then suddenly in second grade they threw cursive at us and decreed that was all we could use going forward. I sucked at it and was constantly getting criticized for bad penmanship no matter how hard I tried.

Then junior high came along and one day after getting an assignment another kid asked if it was OK to print. The teacher went ballistic and went on about how of course it was OK to print, even going to far as to say it was "a stupid question." (Ah, fond school memories of decent, caring "teachers"!)

Of course during all that every form in the real world brgan with an explicit "PLEASE PRINT."

These days I can still read that cursive without any difficulty, but it's been decades since I've been able to write it. I don't miss it. At all.

But, but, but how do people sign checks without knowing cursive? Ah, they only use credit cards now. How do they sign contracts without cursive? Oh, they use digital signatures online now. This comment of not being taught in school was a shock to me but, well I guess just another thing to make me feel old (very old).

But, but, but how do people sign checks without knowing cursive? Ah, they only use credit cards now. How do they sign contracts without cursive? Oh, they use digital signatures online now. This comment of not being taught in school was a shock to me but, well I guess just another thing to make me feel old (very old).

I still do some approximation of a signature, but it's completely illegible. My real name is full of loops with multiple E and F and L and my uncooperative little fingers just won't play along. Fortunately, it's consistently awful, so I've never had it challenged.

A few years back I found the Social Security card I was issued in the 1970s. My signature is actually readable!

I remember in grade school, they used to have that thing, like a banner across one of the walls with all of the cursive letters, upper and lower case, from A to Z.

Thinking back, the capital 'I' is probably the one that would give kids today the most trouble figuring out. It sort of looks like a praying mantis! Or at least, that's what I thought back when I was in 3rd grade (before Velcro was invented!)

View attachment 59877
I don't think I'd know what it was either. In fact I wasn't really aware of the concept of 'cursive capitals'. At school we were taught to print any capitals in our handwriting simply as upper case. I thought that's how everyone did it!

I don't think I'd know what it was either. In fact I wasn't really aware of the concept of 'cursive capitals'. At school we were taught to print any capitals in our handwriting simply as upper case. I thought that's how everyone did it!
There are many different styles of cursive capitols, the obvious advantage of cursive is that you can write much faster than you can print your pen rarely leaves the paper. I've ways referred to cursive as writing, printing is printing!

We still sign checks, contracts, tax returns, etc. from time to time and I recently had to sign an envelope in order to vote early. And your credit card is technically not legal tender if you haven't signed the back.

Illiterate people can legally sign with an "X," however, it may require a co-sign for verification.

I used to have a very legible signature until I finished the third year of med school LOL.

I have posted this before and I often am misunderstood (I am used to this, I was born with Mercury Retrograde)..
Not only are we a RARE breed, who SIT DOWN and listen to music (I can't read and have music in the background, it distracts me), which my father in law who9 had a R2R player and a very good stereo also used to do -my wife will always be flummoxed by me or others like her Dad who actually sit down and pay 100% attention to music- my stepdad was the one who turned me on to Quad in the 70s...
My main point is that, within that very small group of attentive listeners, we may have a more advanced psychoacoustic system because we can process music in more than 2 channels, and it seems natural to us. It's not that we are more intelligent (well, maybe!....ah-hyuck!! ;) ;) ;) ...funnily enough , I have NEVER met a Surround enthusiast who is dumb...some are nasty, but not stupid) but that we are able to absorb and enjoy music coming from all four corners which is the way life is...
3hpxy5.jpg
Mostly I just like sitting and listening to music and let in envelop me. However, I can listen to music whilst working, but only with certain tasks. So as an Electronic Engineer I can design stuff and listen and enjoy music without the two clashing, I suspect I am using different parts of my brain for each. But, if I have to read and understand something like a datasheet (so I am internally 'vocalising') then I can't listen to music, as within seconds I am listening only to the music!

There are many different styles of cursive capitols, the obvious advantage of cursive is that you can write much faster than you can print your pen rarely leaves the paper. I've ways referred to cursive as writing, printing is printing!
Cursive was also used to fit more information on a single page by cross-hatching at 90 degrees, kind like of matrix quad lol.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_letterI only use cursive because my printing is so terrible, never looked back, people look at my writing like its ancient, sad.

As far as dumb anti-surround arguments, haven't really heard too many in person, did see a comment online that said something like "they only ever made a few easy listening records in quad and they all were defective from the factory". Obviously there is quite a bit of easy listening in quad but also plenty other genres and even more music than ever in modern surround, the problem of bad quad decoders has now been solved(and was with Tate and Sansui VM based technology imo), CD-4s sound great even today. Most people that I have described surround sound to say something like "wow, that's interesting, I never new what that was." but nothing against it.

Last edited:
Mostly I just like sitting and listening to music and let in envelop me. However, I can listen to music whilst working, but only with certain tasks. So as an Electronic Engineer I can design stuff and listen and enjoy music without the two clashing, I suspect I am using different parts of my brain for each. But, if I have to read and understand something like a datasheet (so I am internally 'vocalising') then I can't listen to music, as within seconds I am listening only to the music!

See the source image

THE "UNCORRUPTED" DATA

Magnavox was pro-DynaQuad (their Consoles seemed to me to have pretty good sound, I don't know if any were tested to see if they met Hi Fi standards for low distortion and low noise though).

IIRC, Magnavox did eventually announce a stand alone CD-4 demodulator.

Kirk Bayne

Attachments

• Mag01.pdf
    124.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Mag02.pdf
    301.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Mag03.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 148
No.
It means I have nothing but my love for you.

Yes. It means I am the sole person who loves you.
Which one the songwriter intended is unclear due to his sloppy use of English! I suspect he wanted to say "I have eyes only for you" which means I love you and no one else.
No, to say “I only have eyes for you” is also grammatically correct... and in any case, flows better if one has to sing it - which is also an important part of the songwriter’s job

No, to say “I only have eyes for you” is also grammatically correct... and in any case, flows better if one has to sing it - which is also an important part of the songwriter’s job
Oh dear.
It is the correct grammatical way express the very specific meaning "I have nothing but my love for you".
It is not the correct grammatical way to express any another meaning.
If you want to express another meaning with these six words you can, but you have to change their order.
That's the purpose of grammar.
This discussion has nothing to do with songwriting or the sound of the words - that is an an entirely different, artistic, matter.

Last edited:
I haaaaaated cursive. Spent kindergarten and first grade mastering printing, then suddenly in second grade they threw cursive at us and decreed that was all we could use going forward. I sucked at it and was constantly getting criticized for bad penmanship no matter how hard I tried.

Then junior high came along and one day after getting an assignment another kid asked if it was OK to print. The teacher went ballistic and went on about how of course it was OK to print, even going to far as to say it was "a stupid question." (Ah, fond school memories of decent, caring "teachers"!)

Of course during all that every form in the real world brgan with an explicit "PLEASE PRINT."

These days I can still read that cursive without any difficulty, but it's been decades since I've been able to write it. I don't miss it. At all.
I remember, back in college, we had to write a paper in class. I got a C and when I questioned the professor, he said that it was because I printed. He said if I wrote in cursive, I would have been able to write more and he would have given me a better grade. 😕 I told him that if I wrote in cursive, he would not have been able to read it at all!

Can you explai
Oh dear.
It is the correct grammatical way express the very specific meaning "I have nothing but my love for you".
It is not the correct grammatical way to express any another meaning.
If you want to express another meaning with these six words you can, but you have to change their order.
That's the purpose of grammar.
This discussion has nothing to do with songwriting or the sound of the words - that is an an entirely different, artistic, matter.
Please let me explain why it IS a grammatically correct way of saying that a someone is attracted to one person, and one person only (which is the intended meaning of this particular song title).

First of all; if a person says “I have eyes for .....” this is the correct way to express that this person is interested only in that one thing, and no other; (in the context of the subject under discussion).

If I say “I only have two apples”, then I’m correctly saying I have two apples, not more.

Therefore: “I only have eyes for you” is absolutely grammatically correct, although it is a rather formal way of saying “I’m interested in you, and you alone”.

To say “I have eyes for only you” isn’t technically incorrect, but the lyricist must’ve felt that it didn't sound quite as poetic... and I would have to agree with him/her.:)

Back