Dumbest anti-surround argument you've heard

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumbest anti-surround argument you've ever heard

• Total voters
I'm always amused about how, all of a sudden, the wife takes sole ownership of the living room. The husband wants to set up his audio system, his other passion besides wifey, and the NIMLRYD factor kicks in. (For the uninitiated, that stands for "Not in MY living room you don't!") Note the "my" there is

I'm always amazed how men post on the Internet threads that use the term "my wife won't let me", as if they married their mother. I just don't get that crap, does she put your clothes on for you as well in the morning?

I'm always amazed how men post on the Internet threads that use the term "my wife won't let me", as if they married their mother. I just don't get that crap, does she put your clothes on for you as well in the morning?
Agreed!! My wife and I always work together on these room projects. Every house we've ever had - she gets a room for her stuff and I get my home theater/music room. She creates her room as she likes and I create mine as I see fit. :cool:

Many are familiar with the legendary Rene Descartes postulation “I think, therefore I am.”
Few are familiar with his lesser known but equally profound musing: “You can always get another betrothed, but you can’t always get a killer surround system.”
Food for thought 🤔
Music forums are replete with (virtually always) men posting about their how much they’re enjoying putting together and listening to their systems since they got divorced.

Home music systems should be discussed in pre cana sessions along with money, future children, where to live, etc.

Last edited:
"Do the speakers HAVE to be so big? They stick out so they're all you can see in this room!"

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

monolith.jpg

The space and cost arguments are not that dumb. In my previous house, I was fortunate to have a living room with a stereo music system and an another with a 5.1 AV setup. It was my long term plan to add surround channels to the stereo system which had by far the best sound quality of the two. I have accumulated a fair sized colection of surround music.

Since moving house recently, I now only have one lounge that accommodates the stereo hifi. I have been trying out various options for adding surround to this and the results were excellent. Due to the depth and quality of the front speakers, I think I can manage without a centre channel and sub. However, I am hesitating about going ahead for two reasons.

Firstly, the stereo setup is already quite intrusive in the room - big speakers and lots of amplifiers. Extra surround speakers and electronics that are capable of keeping pace with the front channels are just too much clutter in the room for my wife's minimalist tastes. She's tolerant by nature, but I fear that I may be asking too much of her.

Secondly, the funds I'd have tied up in the surround channels could be used to further improve the stereo setup. I can't afford to do both.

I am not sure whether to push ahead with quad or maintain domestic harmony and maximise stereo sound quality.
Tough situation, while I might put up with stereo only for a short period of time I would want surround in the long run. Electronics shouldn't take up too much extra space, but speakers would. Perhaps downsize the speakers making front and rear all the same. I agree absolutely no need for a centre speaker in a small room.

What only one?!!

My mistake, par4ken. I have corrected the system. Note that the surround speakers are still not shown in the photo because they are at the side and somewhat behind Bowman. He is pointing to the center speaker to emphasize that it is identical to the mains for optimum sound reproduction.

monolith.jpg

My mistake, par4ken. I have corrected the system. The surround speakers are not shown in the photo because they are at the side and somewhat behind Bowman. He is pointing to the center speaker to emphasize that it is identical to the mains for optimum sound reproduction.

View attachment 68209
Better

My mistake, par4ken. I have corrected the system. Note that the surround speakers are still not shown in the photo because they are at the side and somewhat behind Bowman. He is pointing to the center speaker to emphasize that it is identical to the mains for optimum sound reproduction.

View attachment 68209
I've seen and heard such a system before. Recording/mastering engineer Tom Caulfield has 5 SoundLabs M1 electrostatics surrounding his arm-chair.

BTW, that could even be true for stereo, though stereo does give you slightly more options(if it fits the decor 🤔).

The one I heard about wanted to face all of the furniture in a different direction and move the TV. Never mind that the surround speaker mounts on the wall were higher than the mains, that the main speakers would face the TV in the turned room. and the cable outlet was at the TV.

The last set of 8 foot tall speakers I built.
RfgRl67.jpg

The Tympani IVa speakers before that in their two-channel listening position:
581wzUu.jpg

then the 8 foot long sub to go under the projection screen:
JBmVPNc.jpg

She didn't say a word about any of them because we have a great relationship, and the very last thing I would want would be to marry a woman who was like my mother.

The last set of 8 foot tall speakers I built.
RfgRl67.jpg

The Tympani IVa speakers before that in their two-channel listening position:
581wzUu.jpg

then the 8 foot long sub to go under the projection screen:
JBmVPNc.jpg

She didn't say a word about any of them because we have a great relationship, and the very last thing I would want would be to marry a woman who was like my mother.
You’ve got all of us drooling. My wife bought the same window valences LOL. Your listening room must be massive.

Back