DUNE movie 2021 Sound FX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saw it yesterday in 3D and I agree with sbrom's comment, a lot of the dialogue is wrsrdnndfkslessss...I could have used subtitles like they do in Spain in the V.O.S. theaters (all/most others are DUBBED)..
Was pretty good...the kid is not a good actor, he probably was somebody's son or cousin... but soundwise it was quite good, a lot of middle eastern influences (phrygian/harmonic minor scales)...I do prefer Lynch's version for many things, e.g., Baron Harkonnen was awesome in the 1984 film...
Since I usually watch the credits (I started doing that way before Marvel movies) I noticed that Guthrie Govan was the electric guitarist for the score...

When I watched the original DUNE the other night in Native UHD4K I HAD to engage the English subtitles not only because of the largely International cast but the 'technical' terminology of Herbert's text. Unless you were well versed in Herbert's prose [I was NOT], I should think subtitles were mandatory.

I would have loved to have seen Lynch's original 3 1/2+ hour cut of DUNE but unfortunately, Universal Studios had no love for Lynch's vision and ordered that it be heavily edited down to a little over 2 hours...2 hours and 17 minutes to be precise!.

Last edited:
don't know if it was SHOT on 3D since a lot of movies nowadays are CONVERTED to 3D, but I really enjoyed the 3D effect...

You are correct, Kap: Dune was post 3D converted. Another interesting article on 'how to experience DUNE:'

https://slate.com/culture/2021/10/dune-hbo-max-imax-movie-theaters-3d-2d.html
I found this quote from Dune's Director Denis Villeneuve to be quite amusing: “Frankly, to watch Dune on a television, the best way I can compare it is to drive a speedboat in your bathtub,” the director told Total Film.

Last edited:
When I watched the original DUNE the other night in Native UHD4K I HAD to engage the English subtitles not only because of the largely International cast but the 'technical' terminology of Herbert's text. Unless you were well versed in Herbert's prose [I was NOT], I should think subtitles were mandatory.

I would have loved to have seen Lynch's original 3 1/2+ hour cut of DUNE but unfortunately, Universal Studios had no love for Lynch's vision and ordered that it be heavily edited down to a little over 2 hours...2 hours and 17 minutes to be precise!.

I saw the original 3.5 hours version in the theater. I was puzzled afterward, because I had no idea what was going on. The reasons people did things were not clear.

I have the edited down version and the "director's cut"
One version has drawings with explanations of the history before the beginning of the film. The other contains most of what was in the long version.

I am currently rereading the book. The story does not match this movie in several places. I don't know if they were accurate in the 3.5 hour version, because it has been 38 years since I saw it. I wonder how accurate to the book the new one is.

The new one follows the book much more closely. I don't want to ruin anyone's surprise but the deviations that caught my eye seemed to be designed to advance or clarify the story.
I only noticed the absence of a few specific parts, none which ultimately advances the story.

I noticed the same thing. However I was watching it using the TV speakers and not my full system so I figured that might be the reason.
Thanks for the confirmation. I’d be very interested to hear your experience if/when you watch Dune on your full system.

I suspect my center channel is not optimal because of insufficient distance from the back of the ported speaker.

I will let you know if I watch it again but. honestly, I didn't think the story was all that great. Next time I watch it will probably be right before the 2nd part comes out. While I didn't think it was all that great, I liked it enough to see what happens next.
BTW this is the first iteration of Dune I've ever watched and I never read the book either.

Finally had a chance to watch this last night, in 4K with Dolby Atmos, streaming to my Apple TV 4K box. Really hard to condense so much text into a 2 1/2 hour film. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the writing/directing/acting, I have to say that is reference quality in terms of audio and video. Awesome soundtrack, heavy use of Atmos throughout, great Hans Zimmer score. Great way to show off your system.

I agree that there was some dialogue that was hard to hear over all the other action, especially from Rebecca Ferguson. Should have mixed her higher, but overall I’m not complaining.

I agree that there was some dialogue that was hard to hear over all the other action, especially from Rebecca Ferguson. Should have mixed her higher, but overall I’m not complaining.

Speaking of Rebecca Ferguson, if I had not IMDB'ed her, I would have never connected her playing "Rose the Hat" in DR. SLEEP!

She was excellent in both.

Speaking of Rebecca Ferguson, if I had not IMDB'ed her, I would have never connected her playing "Rose the Hat" in DR. SLEEP!

She was excellent in both.
Dialogue isn’t an issue IMO, as long as you turn it up properly loud. I’d bet in the movie theaters, the louder sections of the movie really rock; and folks are hesitant to turn it up that loud at home (aka Mrs. Pupster)

open the pod bay doors please HAL

Dialogue isn’t an issue IMO, as long as you turn it up properly loud. I’d bet in the movie theaters, the louder sections of the movie really rock; and folks are hesitant to turn it up that loud at home (aka Mrs. Pupster)

open the pod bay doors please HAL
Oh I had it loud. But some of her dialogue was whispered and had to compete with the chaos going on in the scene.

Recently got the 3D blu ray of this one. I quite like it and found it more watchable than the 80s version. Anyways, I found I held the clicker in may hand while watching it so I could work the volume up and down for dialogue vs, say, the sound of large ships rumbling things off the shelves! As an aside, I was shocked and happy to find it in 3D. If you are, like me, still a fan of 3D get one now., There can't be too many out there. Amazon shows its still available.

I am normally ambivalent about the musical score in a movie but I thought this one complimented the onscreen activities quite well.
At home I was able to enjoy the dialog much more than at the movie. I still have no idea why the reverand mother was talking to Paul about a gear jammer. 😁

Recently got the 3D blu ray of this one. I quite like it and found it more watchable than the 80s version. Anyways, I found I held the clicker in may hand while watching it so I could work the volume up and down for dialogue vs, say, the sound of large ships rumbling things off the shelves! As an aside, I was shocked and happy to find it in 3D. If you are, like me, still a fan of 3D get one now., There can't be too many out there. Amazon shows its still available.
Thanks for the tip, ordered too.

RE: all the dialogue about the dialogue being too low....
Why the hell not just raise the center front level to match the action noises better?
Not sure if you are directing this at the filmmakers or the viewer, but in this case, dialogue volume wasn't a problem EXCEPT for one character and even then only 1 or 2 scenes. So there wasn't an obvious need until it was already into that particular scene, and at that point I didn't want to disrupt the flow of the movie.

Apparently Paul's mother is basically an emotional crybaby through the whole movie? I thought she was written as a very smart & thoughtful character in the book

Her biggest scenes surround Paul and his trials; the reverand mother, the attack, the fremen duel. I would suggest she is a concerned mother rather than a crybaby.

RE: all the dialogue about the dialogue being too low....
Why the hell not just raise the center front level to match the action noises better?

That mostly works, DTS:X actually has the option to store the speech as a separate object so it can be volume adjusted separately, shame it never took off. I thought dialogue was normal for this film and it was a really good soundtrack; I tend to like a lot of range and have no tolerance for dynamic range cry babies (Tenet was great).

Back