DUNE movie 2021 Sound FX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Ok, so, well, even tho I read Frank Herbt's book it certainly failed to capture my imagination like say, anything relating to Hobbits. And I watched the 1984 movie & felt likewise. So I'm not a big fan of Dune but you might be and I am a big fan learning about Foley sound FX & how audio magic is created for movies. The article below shows how sounds that might just wash over us still takes as much effort as bombastic explosions. Pretty interesting:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/audio/a38040084/foley-artist-interview/

Watched the new Dune on Apple TV 4K, 2 nights ago, was very much entertained! Great soundtrack, I heard many similarities to the soundtrack from the move Arrival.

Hope they get the 2nd movie done stat!
was it in 4K, which streaming service did you use, how was the PQ quality?

was it in 4K, which streaming service did you use, how was the PQ quality?

HBO Max on my Apple TV 4K

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but yes in 4K! It was in surround (should be Atmos?) but nice Hans Zimmer soundtrack also.

Looked luscious to me 😋 but got a little parched from all the desert scenes 🥵 -BYO adult beverage (sss)

Ok, so, well, even tho I read Frank Herbt's book it certainly failed to capture my imagination like say, anything relating to Hobbits. And I watched the 1984 movie & felt likewise. So I'm not a big fan of Dune but you might be and I am a big fan learning about Foley sound FX & how audio magic is created for movies. The article below shows how sounds that might just wash over us still takes as much effort as bombastic explosions. Pretty interesting:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/audio/a38040084/foley-artist-interview/
The 1984 movie was hard to follow without reading the book. I remember the Sci-Fi channel had a very long version where they explained what was going on between scenes. Those that don't get sci-fi always like to interrupt you while watching making the storyline even more difficult to follow. I would like to see this one at some point.

The 1984 movie was hard to follow without reading the book. I remember the Sci-Fi channel had a very long version where they explained what was going on between scenes. Those that don't get sci-fi always like to interrupt you while watching making the storyline even more difficult to follow. I would like to see this one at some point.

I was one of those kids that actually did belong to the Science Fiction Book of the Month Club. And then there were all those in between purchases. So I was more grown up & married when all the buzz of Dune the book got my attention. I struggled to get through it but I gave the movie a chance & even tho it wasn't for me I can easily understand the attraction others might have for it.

But I always liked the giant sandworms in the original TREMORS film!

Foley effects are so sophisticated & taken for granted today it's easy to forget it all began in the days of radio plays where sound effects had to complete the visual aspect of the play in the audience mind. It was live... just think about doing all the various noises in real time with out editing or undo! Prarie Home Companion is a direct recipient of this talent but of course they could retake & edit as needed.

saw it yesterday in 3D and I agree with sbrom's comment, a lot of the dialogue is wrsrdnndfkslessss...I could have used subtitles like they do in Spain in the V.O.S. theaters (all/most others are DUBBED)..
Was pretty good...the kid is not a good actor, he probably was somebody's son or cousin... but soundwise it was quite good, a lot of middle eastern influences (phrygian/harmonic minor scales)...I do prefer Lynch's version for many things, e.g., Baron Harkonnen was awesome in the 1984 film...
Since I usually watch the credits (I started doing that way before Marvel movies) I noticed that Guthrie Govan was the electric guitarist for the score...

can't read all of the article, it is asking me to subscribe...

saw it yesterday in 3D and I agree with sbrom's comment, a lot of the dialogue is wrsrdnndfkslessss...I could have used subtitles like they do in Spain in the V.O.S. theaters (all/most others are DUBBED)..
Was pretty good...the kid is not a good actor, he probably was somebody's son or cousin... but soundwise it was quite good, a lot of middle eastern influences (phrygian/harmonic minor scales)...I do prefer Lynch's version for many things, e.g., Baron Harkonnen was awesome in the 1984 film...
Since I usually watch the credits (I started doing that way before Marvel movies) I noticed that Guthrie Govan was the electric guitarist for the score...

Had NO idea DUNE was filmed and released in 3D, Kap but came across this interesting VARIETY article regarding the Chinese premiere of DUNE:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dune-imax-3d-china-1235095248/

I think he acted as directed and I expect his acting to be more alive in Part II. In Part I one he is overwhelmed by his reality, the expectations thrust on him and of course his body's reaction to Spice; that would force him to act in some emotionless scenes like he did here. (Hope I'm right)

I can confirm Apple TV 4K, rented movie from Apple TV, did stream in 4K Atmos. The sound effects and music are great, but dialogue was not intelligible during many scenes. Had to use closed captions…..
I noticed the same thing. However I was watching it using the TV speakers and not my full system so I figured that might be the reason.

Back