HiRez Poll Duran Duran - ASTRONAUT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Duran Duran - ASTRONAUT

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc! (y) :phones (n)

Not the greatest SACD I have but didn't find it too bad.

Have heard alot of reports that the redbook layer of this sounds better than MultiChannel SACD but I found the sound to be better in the SACD mix and the vocals sounded cleaner to me. Seems recorded at a lower level but didn't seem to grate as much when you hit the volume up a bit.

Some quite good tracks on the disc with 'Reach up for the Sunrise' probably being the most well known. Glad to have it but I'd say try before you buy if your not familiar with the music. Duran Duran fans should be happy with this though.

6/10 :)

Can somebody tell me how it compares to the DualDisc version?

I still haven't come across the SACD version. Guess I'll have to order it.

I've not heard the SACD version myself, but if it's the same mix as the DualDisc - then it is very well done indeed.
If only it were available on DVD-A.

Have heard alot of reports that the redbook layer of this sounds better than MultiChannel SACD but I found the sound to be better in the SACD mix and the vocals sounded cleaner to me. Seems recorded at a lower level but didn't seem to grate as much when you hit the volume up a bit.
The hi-res m/c layer of the sacd smokes the 2 channel redbook layer, which has a cloudy low-end. And kudos to the folks behind the sacd mastering who retained dynamic range and did not squash the life out of it with limiting. This is a great-sounding pop hi-res surround title - and I plan to keep it as a reference on how to do a pop title right.

The 5.1 mix opens up things quite nicely, and is IMHO absolutely the preferred way of hearing this great "comeback" album of the original line-up of Duran Duran.

Can somebody tell me how it compares to the DualDisc version?
While the DualDisc contains the same 5.1 mix, unfortunately, Sony insists on not including hi-res content on their DualDiscs: you only get Dolby Digital for surround. As such, it doesn't compare favorably with the sacd - even though it is the exact mix. The difference between hi-res and lossy DD is night and day.

As this was a PCM recording and 5.1 mix, the closest to the master you will get would be a DVD-A (or DualDisc including lossless DVD-A content); however, the transcoding from PCM to hi-res DSD for the SACD is superb, and it is my recommended version of Astronaut at this time.

While the DualDisc contains the same 5.1 mix, unfortunately, Sony insists on not including hi-res content on their DualDiscs: you only get Dolby Digital for surround. As such, it doesn't compare favorably with the sacd - even though it is the exact mix. The difference between hi-res and lossy DD is night and day.

As this was a PCM recording and 5.1 mix, the closest to the master you will get would be a DVD-A (or DualDisc including lossless DVD-A content); however, the transcoding from PCM to hi-res DSD for the SACD is superb, and it is my recommended version of Astronaut at this time.

I have to agree here - this is far superior to the DualDisc.
AT first listen, it sounded like a different mix to me on the opener. I will go back & try again - several times - but if this is the same mix, then the difference really is plain to hear.
This though is certainly one of the far-too-rare SACD that actually sounds good. It's right up there with "Avalon", "Boys & Girls", 461 Ocean Boulevard & "Ziggy Stardust" for me.

Grab it while you still can.....
(I wonder what this would have sounded like on DVD-A rather than DSD?)

A 9 from me;
Very solid album, and a great "comeback" to boot.
Very active and correct Surround mix.

(One point off for not being a DVD-A, silly, I know)

Even saw them in Madrid in this tour(great show...Simon is such a "diva").

Also got the Dual Disc, cause that was the one that I knew of...din't know it was on SACD.

Yes, sounds better than your usual SACD, and although not overly compressed , it is still compressed and quite LF heavy....

As for being a DD fan, ..I bought "Rio" when it came out on a Japanese LP pressing which sounds INCREDIBLE!...so sue me...

See I want this one badly, but yes the SACD is insanely expensive. Fantastic album, though.

I didn't know there was an SACD version. I got the dualdisc long ago and liked the music last time I listened.
Likely the SACD sounds better than dolby but $90 better?

I saw Duran Duran at the I-Beam in San Francisco 1981. I thought they were weak. Was more into Punk at the time.
My friend said "they will be the next big thing"
I could never forget that 1st show and I never wanted to hear them again.

There are for sure some big time differences between big city, and rural. In midwest Illinois.....Duran Duran were considered horrible. Me included. Hard rock was music of choice during that time.

In retrospect, doesn't make them good or bad. Just a fact of the times.

I mean they kinda were the next big thing after 1981....
Yes my friend was correct. I was too old School to see their potential. Now that my tastes have changed maybe I should give the DVD version a try...

Back