Dutton Epoch Releasing 5 RCA/Columbia Classical Treasures on QUAD SACD (Jan 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My discs came this Friday, Yeh!. I feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when the new phone book arrived. I did not hop around as much as he did in that scene, but I was pretty excited. If I remember correctly, they arrive quicker than my last order which took close to 6 weeks.

Also I am glad that some classical quads are being released. I gotten some from HDTT. I am not very versed in classical, but we have all been exposed to it if you have watch the Lone Ranger and 2001. I have gotten more interested in classical from the DTS CDs that I have listened to.

One interesting thing about one of the upcoming Dutton releases is the 1st act in the upcoming "Artur Rubinstein/Eugene Ormandy/The Philadelphia Orchestra - Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 & Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 2/Falla: Nights in the Gardens of Spain" has been released by HDTT. It would be interesting to compare the 2 and see who did the best transfer job. Maybe when I get a few extra bucks in the coming new year.

My discs came this Friday, Yeh!. I feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when the new phone book arrived. I did not hop around as much as he did in that scene, but I was pretty excited. If I remember correctly, they arrive quicker than my last order which took close to 6 weeks.

Also I am glad that some classical quads are being released. I gotten some from HDTT. I am not very versed in classical, but we have all been exposed to it if you have watch the Lone Ranger and 2001. I have gotten more interested in classical from the DTS CDs that I have listened to.

One interesting thing about one of the upcoming Dutton releases is the 1st act in the upcoming "Artur Rubinstein/Eugene Ormandy/The Philadelphia Orchestra - Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 & Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 2/Falla: Nights in the Gardens of Spain" has been released by HDTT. It would be interesting to compare the 2 and see who did the best transfer job. Maybe when I get a few extra bucks in the coming new year.

HE HATES THOSE CANS...!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS..!!!!

:ugham:

The HDTT may have some charm to its sound, but to me it's quite easy to determine which one to get. The legal one, which is the Dutton/Vocalion release, and which is the only one that uses the master tape. The price also makes this one such an easy choice to make.

Last edited:
The HDTT may have some charm to its sound, but to me it's quite easy to determine which one to get. The legal one, which is the Dutton/Vocalion release, and which is the only one that uses a tape that's as close the the master tape is it is possible to get to in this day and age. The price also makes this one such an easy choice to make.

what do you mean "as close to the master tape", Simon, what source has been used if not the master tape? tia :)

!!!!!!!!!!

I clearly haven't been following this thread closely enough, because Dutton has indeed dug deeper into the RCA classical quad archives. Ordering all five of the newly listed SACDs now - and I haven't even received the ones I ordered previously.

The Ormandy disc is a no-brainer - the repertoire is all popular and Rubinstein was still a master in his last decade. The Rachmaninoff Concerto was issued previously in surround as a "Edition 100" SACD, but I believe that was an upmix.

Stokowski conducts Bach...if you've ever seen Fantasia with the Bach Toccata & Fugue at the beginning, you'll know what this is. There's a reason this has been constantly in print for decades. They also include the immolation scene from Gotterdammerung, and the DV site implies that Michael Dutton created a new quad mix of this piece from the analog multitracks.

Also of interest is the Rheinberger Organ Concertos disc - this is its first official digital release in any format.

I'm skeptical of HDTT, and not just because I can't believe Sony and others haven't sued them into oblivion yet. It will be good to get official releases from the master tapes.

And there's still so much great stuff out there. I hope DV is marketing these properly in Japan, Ormandy and Stokowski are bigger there than anywhere it seems.

!!!!!!!!!!

I clearly haven't been following this thread closely enough, because Dutton has indeed dug deeper into the RCA classical quad archives. Ordering all five of the newly listed SACDs now - and I haven't even received the ones I ordered previously.

The Ormandy disc is a no-brainer - the repertoire is all popular and Rubinstein was still a master in his last decade. The Rachmaninoff Concerto was issued previously in surround as a "Edition 100" SACD, but I believe that was an upmix.

Stokowski conducts Bach...if you've ever seen Fantasia with the Bach Toccata & Fugue at the beginning, you'll know what this is. There's a reason this has been constantly in print for decades. They also include the immolation scene from Gotterdammerung, and the DV site implies that Michael Dutton created a new quad mix of this piece from the analog multitracks.

Also of interest is the Rheinberger Organ Concertos disc - this is its first official digital release in any format.

I'm skeptical of HDTT, and not just because I can't believe Sony and others haven't sued them into oblivion yet. It will be good to get official releases from the master tapes.

And there's still so much great stuff out there. I hope DV is marketing these properly in Japan, Ormandy and Stokowski are
bigger there than anywhere it seems.

Question about "Stokowski" ??

Was he considered the best or one of the very best conductors ? And is it not him they parody on the Bugs Bunny cartoon ?
You know .....the one where Bugs has a banjo spat with "the big fat opera star" ? at the Hollywood Bowl, I believe.

Was he considered the best or one of the very best conductors ? And is it not him they parody on the Bugs Bunny cartoon ?
You know .....the one where Bugs has a banjo spat with "the big fat opera star" ? at the Hollywood Bowl, I believe.

Yep, that's LEOPOLD!
He was the conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and he was also prominently featured in "Fantasia".
A legendary figure in American classical music from the 20th century. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you noted by the quotes around his name (although it was his real name), Stokowski's public persona was definitely a bit of a concoction that obfuscated the fact that he was English. And throughout his career he was dogged by accusations of being all flash and no substance, and of taking liberties of text and interpretation.

By now there's been a reappraisal, as his recordings of the romantic repertoire and beyond have been freed of the cloud of persona and revealed to have a deep sense of musiciality. As for his Bach (on this issue especially), the rise of the period instrument movement has actually liberated Stokowski's Bach from accusations of inauthenticity - if most everything performed with a modern orchestra is inauthentic, there's something praiseworthy about Stokowski's goal of transcribing Bach's work for the maximum potential of a modern orchestra. And the sound and interpretation he got once you stop worrying about authenticity are first-rate.

Yes, that Stokowski. As Wikipedia tells us:

"Leopold Anthony Stokowski (18 April 1882 – 13 September 1977) was a British conductor of Polish and Irish descent. One of the leading conductors of the early and mid-20th Century, he is best known for his long association with the Philadelphia Orchestra and for appearing in the film Fantasia. He was especially noted for his free-hand conducting style that spurned the traditional baton and for obtaining a characteristically sumptuous sound from the orchestras he directed.

Stokowski was music director of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, the Philadelphia Orchestra, the NBC Symphony Orchestra, New York Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, the Houston Symphony Orchestra, the Symphony of the Air and many others. He was also the founder of the All-American Youth Orchestra, the New York City Symphony, the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra and the American Symphony Orchestra.

Stokowski conducted the music for and appeared in several Hollywood films, including Disney's Fantasia, and was a lifelong champion of contemporary composers, giving many premieres of new music during his 60-year conducting career. Stokowski, who made his official conducting debut in 1909, appeared in public for the last time in 1975 but continued making recordings until June 1977, a few months before his death at the age of 95."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Stokowski

"I'm skeptical of HDTT, and not just because I can't believe Sony and others haven't sued them into oblivion yet. It will be good to get official releases from the master tapes."

I am also surprised they haven't been sued. I have purchased a few of their quad tape copies, and they're not all that great. I mean they're good copies of the commercial reel, but was hoping for a copy of the master.

However, they are also selling some BD-Rs of original music from Texas. I have purchased all of these, and they are all "surround spectaculars". These have some "discreetness", but their "ambiance" is real and loud; there's no doubt that you can "hear the hall". The most realistic "hall sound" I've ever heard!! Enough that it should satisfy those that hate classical music because of ambient rears!

Kal, you should check these out for Stereophile.

"I'm skeptical of HDTT, and not just because I can't believe Sony and others haven't sued them into oblivion yet. It will be good to get official releases from the master tapes."

I am also surprised they haven't been sued. I have purchased a few of their quad tape copies, and they're not all that great. I mean they're good copies of the commercial reel, but was hoping for a copy of the master.

However, they are also selling some BD-Rs of original music from Texas. I have purchased all of these, and they are all "surround spectaculars". These have some "discreetness", but their "ambiance" is real and loud; there's no doubt that you can "hear the hall". The most realistic "hall sound" I've ever heard!! Enough that it should satisfy those that hate classical music because of ambient rears!

Kal, you should check these out for Stereophile.

HDTT removed all mention of copyright from their site, but you can see their lengthy explanation here. Suffice to say that while it may sound impressive, it's absolute nonsense. And it seems like they've stopped worrying about using original album art.

How are the performances on their own recordings, though? It looks like all the performances are done by students at the University of Houston's music school (the Texas Music Festival is their summer program). I recognize that quality standards for young musicians have risen to dizzying heights, but there's still a difference between a student orchestra and a professional one.

Some DV SACDs

E Power Biggs/Rheinberger,
Danny Davis;Travelin/Caribbean Cruise,
Four Seasons/Zukerman,
Arthur Fiedler/G Hits 70s Vols 1&2,
Kostelanetz/Music From Spain;Villa Lobos

I just emailed Dutton Vocalion regarding an order I placed for the 5 Classical QUAD SACDs on December 22, 2016 which I have NOT yet received.

Another delayed shipment?:yikes

These are the January slate of five classical quads? I don't think they were all ready on January 1; my order hasn't arrived either. As indicated I've gotten another order in the interim; I'm sure they'll arrive soon enough.

These are the January slate of five classical quads? I don't think they were all ready on January 1; my order hasn't arrived either. As indicated I've gotten another order in the interim; I'm sure they'll arrive soon enough.

I received a very prompt reply today from Simon @ D~V that my order was shipped out on January 31st. Should be receiving my SACDs in a few weeks.

Any word on the 5 Epoch Surround Sound SACDs from the RCA Red Seal and Columbia Masterworks Quad Tapes?
The original release date was January 17, 2017. So I'm guessing they should be out soon - if they haven't arrived already.

FredBlue received some of them last week, he posted them in the 'latest multichannel discs received' thread here, maybe he'll chime in and let us know how they sound.

I'm expecting all five in the mail myself but given the vagaries of international postage, who knows when that will be!

FredBlue received some of them last week, he posted them in the 'latest multichannel discs received' thread here, maybe he'll chime in and let us know how they sound.

I'm expecting all five in the mail myself but given the vagaries of international postage, who knows when that will be!

If Fred Blue has some of the 5 Dutton Epoch Surround SACDs, then they must be released and heading to the pre-order folks!

unfortunately I'm unable to try them out at this time due to personal life bad stuff (partners back in hospital, I was told to prepare for his possible demise yesterday, conditions improved dramatically in the hours since but it's still rather a crazy time as you can imagine so I'm afraid I can't be of any help right now sorry, though they look like nice packages and I have every reason to believe they'll be more than likely upto Dutton's usual high standard. I might not be around much for a while but it's nothing personal (though it is personal..!) keep rockin guys & gals of QQ :upthumb

unfortunately I'm unable to try them out at this time due to personal life bad stuff (partners back in hospital, I was told to prepare for his possible demise yesterday, conditions improved dramatically in the hours since but it's still rather a crazy time as you can imagine so I'm afraid I can't be of any help right now sorry, though they look like nice packages and I have every reason to believe they'll be more than likely upto Dutton's usual high standard. I might not be around much for a while but it's nothing personal (though it is personal..!) keep rockin guys & gals of QQ :upthumb

Ahhhhh Crap Freddypoooo. Very sorry to hear about your situation. Will send some prayers your way. Snood wishing praying and hoping your partner pulls through. If ya ever need anyone to talk to - us QQers are here for you. :snoodhug:

Oh my! :(

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ng-Good-Vibes-To-FredBlue&p=326607#post326607

Back