Dutton Vocalion August 2020 Surround Sound SACDs (6)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And finally No 6 : Paul Mauriat, Emmanuelle and Fantastic 4 Channel.

Remember seeing Emmanuelle at the flics back in 1976, took the then current girlfriend...strangely, I dont remember the music!!

This is very good too. Cool, laid back music with excellent mixes.

Out of the 6, 5 I like, the only one that I found hard to get into is 'Company', not my kind of musical score.

But overall very happy and will keep on supporting the output of Mr Dutton and his team.

Last edited:
No 3 being played via the Sony X800, is Company

A musical comedy.
By Stephen Sondheim

First listen for me.
You know it's got all the important ingredients for a fine mix.

Just didnt do it for me though...Must be getting fussy in my advancing years. :)

Mike, I saw a recent PBS Production of COMPANY with Cuban~American Broadway star RaĂşl Esparza and LOVED it. Sondheim's music is very deceptive and needs a few listens to fully comprehend his sprawling musical structure

th

Company is a 1970 musical comedy with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by George Furth. The original production was nominated for a record-setting fourteen Tony Awards and won six. Originally titled Threes , its plot revolves around Robert (a single man unable to commit fully to a steady relationship, let alone marriage), the five married couples who are his best friends, and his three girlfriends.

An Interesting New York POST article regarding a recent revival of Company and some juicy background on Sondheim's character BOBBY:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/16/stephen-sondheims-in-good-company-with-marianne-elliott/

Last edited:
The Second Disc has an article on the latest DV batch.

WONDERFUL ARTICLE, privateuniverse. Gratifying to see Michael Dutton is receiving accolades for his yeoman efforts in resurrecting these QUAD treasures from the SONY vaults and now, a few from the elusive UMG QUAD reserves.

And to FINALLY have the immersive QUAD version of A CHORUS LINE which in its Broadway run featured very sparse but effective staging is nothing short of a miracle.

Very much looking forward to D~V's next batch of QUAD SACDs which if past release schedules are any indication should contain ROCK, POP and some jazz SACDs.

ROCK ON, Michael!

Received all six August 2020 D~V QUAD releases today [and NOT a cracked case] and all I can say is Michael Dutton has with each succeeding batch of QUAD SACDs upped his game considerably. Graphics, IMO, have much improved and realizing that each batch doesn't excite or tittilate ALL QQ Forum members, I will say that I, for one, am gratified to receive such a diversity of titles across all genres of musical soundscapes with such flawless precision remastering at affordable pricing.

I've said it before and will say it again ...... In all my years of collecting digital remasters, Dutton Vocalion releasing these amazing titles in 2020 has restored my faith in what can ultimately be achieved in restoring and most importantly preserving these precious 70's QUAD MASTERTAPES!

I only wish other labels who have no interest in releasing their backlog of QUAD titles would entrust them to the more than capable hands of the maestro, Michael D.

See the source image

Last edited:
Received all six August 2020 D~V QUAD releases today [and NOT a cracked case] and all I can say is Michael Dutton has with each succeeding batch of QUAD SACDs upped his game considerably. Graphics, IMO, have much improved and realizing that each batch doesn't excite or tittilate ALL QQ Forum members, I will say that I, for one, am gratified to receive such a diversity of titles across all genres of musical soundscapes with such flawless precision remastering at affordable pricing.

I've said it before and will say it again ...... In all my years of collecting digital remasters, Dutton Vocalion releasing these amazing titles in 2020 has restored my faith in what can ultimately be achieved in restoring and most importantly preserving these precious 70's QUAD MASTERTAPES!

I only wish other labels who have no interest in releasing their backlog of QUAD titles would entrust them to the more than capable hands of the maestro, Michael D.
In

See the source image
Great post. I bought all of this months titles even though only the Byrd title falls into my usual wheelhouse. Support the format, support Dutton and open myself up to some new music. A win-win-win!

Back