SPOTLIGHT Dutton-Vocalion Classical '70s Quad Reissue Switchboard

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubertrout

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is a list of all of the classical surround SACD's from Dutton-Vocalion created from 1970's original quadraphonic master tapes.

Click the pressing/release number of the title to go to the Dutton-Vocalion website to purchase the disc.

Get these while you can! This list will be kept up to date going forward

LAST EDIT: 1-22-2021

DV #ARTIST/TITLENOTES
CDLK4594André Kostelanetz - André Kostelanetz Plays the Music of Villa-Lobos & André Kostelanetz Conducts Music from SpainTwo full quad albums
CDLX7333Julian Bream/John Eliot Gardiner/The Monteverdi Orchestra - Concertos for Lute and Orchestra & Rodrigo: Concierto de AranjuezOne full quad album, plus the Rodrigo is from another quad album where it was coupled with Lennox Berkeley's guitar concerto.
CDLX7334E. Power Biggs/Maurice Peress/The Columbia Symphony - Rheinberger: Two Concertos for Organ and Orchestra & A Mini Discourse by E. Power BiggsQuad album (concertos) plus quad single (mini-discourse)
CDLX7335Pinchas Zukerman/The English Chamber Orchestra - Vivaldi: The Four Seasons & Vivaldi: Concertos Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 8Two full quad albums (the remaining concertos 9-12 were a third quad album, not (yet?) issued by DV)
CDLX7336Artur Rubinstein/Eugene Ormandy/The Philadelphia Orchestra - Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 & Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 2/Falla: Nights in the Gardens of SpainTwo full quad albums
CDLX7337Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's ImmolationOne full quad album (Bach) plus Michael Dutton's mix of the Wagner
CDLX7343Pierre Boulez conducts Stravinsky: Petrushka & Pulcinella SuiteTwo full quad albums
2CDLX7344James Levine conducts Mahler & Brahms - Symphonies Nos. 1 & 42 disc set, Mahler 1 and 4 were each quad issues, Brahms 1st is a Michael Dutton mix.
CDLX7345Daniel Barenboim & Artur Rubinstein - Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 4Two full albums, Japan quad mix
CDLX7346Leonard Bernstein/New York Philharmonic: Haydn's Mass in Time of War1.5 quad albums (Haydn was coupled with Symphony No. 95 on LP)
CDLX7347Lorin Maazel conducts Richard Strauss: Ein Heldenleben & Johannes Brahms: Alto Rhapsodie1.5 quad albums (Brahms's Alto Rhapsody was originally side 4 of a double LP set with the German Requiem - which would fit on a single disc...hint hint DV)
CDLX7358Daniel Barenboim/London Philharmonic Orchestra/Artur Rubinstein: Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 1/Piano Concerto No. 2Two full albums, Japan quad mix
CDLX7360Pierre Boulez Conducts Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra1.5 quad albums (Miraculous Mandarin was originally coupled with the Dance Suite on LP)
CDLX7362Eugene Ormandy/The Philadelphia Orchestra/Betty Allen: Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky & bonus track: Lieutenant Kijé SuiteAlexander Nevsky was a quad album, Lt. Kije Suite is Michael Dutton mix
CDLX7364Daniel Barenboim & Artur Rubinstein - Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 (The "Emperor" Concerto) & Sonata No. 18 in E flat, Op. 31, No. 3Finishes the set of Rubinstein playing the Beethoven piano concertos, accompanied by a much younger Daniel Barenboim conducting the London Philharmonic.
2CDLX7365La Boheme - Verdi & Puccini Duets - Placido DomingoA 2LP quad opera recording plus a quad LP of duets of Domingo with Leontyne Price
CDLX7366Chávez: Excerpts from Pirámide; The Four Suns/Copland: Appalachian Spring (complete ballet)/Copland Rehearses Appalachian SpringFirst digital release of the Chavez quad LP plus essentially the first digital release of the original "chamber" version of the Appalachian Spring ballet (only previously released in an anthology),
plus the rehearsal excerpt as a stereo bonus (only otherwise released as part of the same).
2CDLX7367Pierre Boulez Conducts Schoenberg: Gurre-Lieder & Roussel: Symphony No. 3Schoenberg's massive Gurre-Lieder, original 2 Quad LPs, with the Roussel symphony as a bonus (originally half a quad LP itself, with Dukas's La Peri as the other half)
CDLX7368E. Power Biggs • Music for Organ, Brass and Percussion • The Six Organ-Concerto Sinfonias2 Quad LPs, first digital release for both.
2CDLX7369Michael Tilson Thomas - Carmina Burana - Rhapsody in Blue - An American in Paris3 Quad LPs - the Carmina Burana (infamously cut for Q8), Beethoven: Late Choral Music, and the Rhapsody in Blue using the Gershwin Piano Roll plus An American in Paris.
2CDLX7370Eugene Ormandy • Shostakovich Symphonies Nos. 5 & 15Each Symphony was originally a quad LP - this is Ormandy's recording of the 5th for RCA, not his earlier one for Columbia. Also includes the Hamlet Suite, completing the original Fiedler's Choice
quad LP, plus the Hary Janos Suite in a new quad mix (originally coupled with Lt. Kije on "Two Musical Fables," which is coupled with the Alexander Nevsky Suite on CDLX7362).
CDLX7375Boulez Conducts Bartok - The Wooden Prince & Dance SuiteColumbia Masterworks M 34514 and MQ-31368
CDLX7376Eric Wolfgang Korngold - Die tote StadtRCA ARD3-1199
CDLX7377Igor Stravinsky - Firebird and the Rite of SpringColumbia Masterworks MQ-33508 and MQ-34557
CDLX7378Leonard Bernstein - Haydn Symphonies Nos. 93, 94 & 95Columbia Masterworks MQ-32101 and MQ-32598
CDLX7379Eugene Ormandy - Also Sprach Zarathustra, Saint-Saens -Symphony No. 3RCA ARD1-1220, ARD1-0484
CDLX7380Leopold Stokowski conducts Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 “Eroica” & Brahams • Academic Festival OvertureRCA ARD1-0600, ARD1-0719
CDLX7381Pierre Boulez Conducts Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé & Stravinsky - The Song of the NightingaleColumbia Masterworks MQ-33523 and MK 42396 (original stereo & new surround mix)
CDLX7382Leopold Stokowski conducts Mahler - Symphony No. 2 “Resurrection”RCA ARD2-0852
CDLX7383Leonard Bernstein conducts Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring/Symphony of Psalms & Poulnec - GloriaColumbia Masterworks MQ-31520 and M-34551 (original stereo & unreleased [Psalms] and new [Gloria] surround mix)
CDLX7384Pierre Boulez conducts Falla - The Three-Cornered Hat & Dukas - La PériColumbia Masterworks MQ-33970 and M-34201

Last edited by a moderator:
Incidentally, some of these must have been real labors of love for Michael Dutton. The original multitracks needed to be digitized and then newly mixed where no quad mix existed - the Brahms 1st Symphony is full album length (and in fact longer than most rock albums), while the Wagner and Kije Suite are each over 20 minutes.

I received 2 classical Colombia titles from D-V today. So all the Classical Quads are also "must haves." I listen to at least one full Opera weekly. I'm trying to listen to music I missed out in years past. I'm also a big fan of Reggae music and Hawaiian. As I write this, I'm listening to Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra, in 3 channel, Living Stereo version.

I know a lot of us would buy and listen to more MC Classical and Opera. We just don't know what is what, or what was released. So thanks ubertrout for the Classical music list.

A big thanks to QQ Member ubertrout for doing the classical list. Although he created it in the pop/rock thread, I decided it deserved its own sticky thread, so here it is.

I too have a couple of the classical titles but have no clue about the others. So there's much to learn................. :)

Last edited:
A big thanks to QQ Member ubertrout for doing the classical list. Although he created it in the pop/rock thread, I decided it deserved its own sticky thread, so here it is.

I too have a couple of the classical titles but have no clue about the others. So there's much to learn................. :)

As one who has ALL of D~V's RCA/Columbia QUAD SACDs, Jon, I can attest there's not a dud in the bunch. Classic music making from some of the finest composers/conductors in history ..... all benefitting from Michael J. Dutton's superb remastering!

Classical switchboard updated: 1-22-2021
So, to nitpick (we're all nerds here, after), all the new mixes are 4.0 as I understand it, not 5.1. Also, for M-34551, the Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms is actually a vintage quad mix that had circulated as a Robin Reel but never been officially released, while the Poulenc is a new Michael Dutton quad mix.

So, to nitpick (we're all nerds here, after), all the new mixes are 4.0 as I understand it, not 5.1. Also, for M-34551, the Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms is actually a vintage quad mix that had circulated as a Robin Reel but never been officially released, while the Poulenc is a new Michael Dutton quad mix.

Of course! What the hell do I know? ;)

I will fix them up!

Back