Dutton Vocalion November 2022 Quad SACDs - Mac Davis, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to the Nugent quad - Free For All - also. His first three albums ( the S/T , and these two - Free For All and Cat Scratch ) were when Ted had a killer band. Derek St Holmes was a major contributor to the success of these three albums. Really really good stuff IMHO. After these 3 albums, the band changed , the focus and sound changed and it was all downhill so to speak.
I agree, with the exception of Nugent, which was good too.

1667410249388.jpeg

as i usually do when DV drop a new batch, i've gathered together my old Quad LPs of albums from this latest lot of DV goodies, so i can compare the sound, packaging etc.

here's some pics and info, food for thought and so on, especially with regard to the stunning value for money these SACDs represent👌😎

the Free-For-All SQ Quad LP cost me £26 including International Shipping in 2015. the LP was in pristine condition, i think it had been treated with "Last", played once by its previous owner and filed away for the intervening 39 years! (hence the cost) and yet it still managed to sound somewhat shite! 😂

fast forward 7 years and by lummee, for £13.99 + shipping its not just a discrete mastertape Free For All its a Cat Scratch Wednesday Night Fever to boot! meeeowww!! 😋

dog dog! dog eat dog! woof woof! watch out for yer woofers! this one's a-rockin'! 😂🥳

3F966603-7067-48BF-AB73-11024AC0B9B1.jpeg

..and finally a Mac Davis extravaganza bonanza (in organza?) 🤠😁😅

- Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me SQ LP £17,
- Stop & Smell The Roses SQ LP £14,
- Burnin' Thing SQ LP £30,
- All The Love In The World SQ LP £20,
- Thunder In The Afternoon SQ LP £15,
- Burnin' Thing Q8 tape = £40

Total incl. shipping = £136

5 Quads on 2 SACDs £23.99 + shipping

ah we're Quids in on the Quads! Quids in, i tell ya! 🤑🤠💎

826388F0-DFC0-4F08-BED5-095359311BD5.jpeg

As both turned up this morning. I have managed to only listen to the Ted Nugent Quad - bl**dy conference calls! I have heard an SQ decode of this before before but never owned Free For All on any format (I have only ever owned Cat Scratch Fever & '82s Nugent).

This SACD sounds really good, Quad mix is great, and I do like this album, nice to have some good old Rock in surround. I also never realised that the main vocalist is one Meatloaf on this album.

I'd be interested to know if you find any differences in sound between the LPs and the SACD.
i'm comparing the REO Speedwagon SACD to the LPs right now and the improvement in sound quality is unbelievable!!!

in particular the 2nd Quad is absolutely sumptuous, some of the best-sounding Quad Rock i've ever heard, trounces the LP in every respect and the mix is jaw-dropping.

All over the REO and Sweaty Teddy. Passing on Mac. By the way, I’m not a big country guy and never had any nor was familiar with Kristofferson’s music but I took a dive on his quad releases. I’m digging it. Like the honky tonk groove, great mixes, and, I’m sure, autobiographical stories. Highly recommended.

as i usually do when DV drop a new batch, i've gathered together my old Quad LPs of albums from this latest lot of DV goodies, so i can compare the sound, packaging etc.

here's some pics and info, food for thought and so on, especially with regard to the stunning value for money these SACDs represent👌😎

the Free-For-All SQ Quad LP cost me £26 including International Shipping in 2015. the LP was in pristine condition, i think it had been treated with "Last", played once by its previous owner and filed away for the intervening 39 years! (hence the cost) and yet it still managed to sound somewhat shite! 😂

fast forward 7 years and by lummee, for £13.99 + shipping its not just a discrete mastertape Free For All its a Cat Scratch Wednesday Night Fever to boot! meeeowww!! 😋

dog dog! dog eat dog! woof woof! watch out for yer woofers! this one's a-rockin'! 😂🥳

View attachment 84963
Always thought ol' Teddy enjoyed the smell of his armpit from this cover; and always amazed how a high volume rocker like him kept his Byrdland hollow body electric from feeding back (must have had to stand in just the right distance from his amps etc.) 😜

Back