SPOTLIGHT Dutton-Vocalion Pop/Rock '70s Quad Reissue Switchboard

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This is a list of all of the popular/rock/easy listening surround SACD's from Dutton-Vocalion created from 1970's original quadraphonic master tapes.

From this list you can click the title name to go to the QQ Poll for the title, or click the pressing/release number of the title to go to the Dutton-Vocalion website to purchase the disc.

Classical titles are in their own thread here. Get these while you can! This list will be kept up to date going forward

LAST EDIT: 1-11-2021

DV #ARTIST/TITLE
CDLK4570Henry Mancini & Doc Severinsen - Brass, Ivory and Strings & Brass on Ivory
CDLK4572Floyd Cramer - Class of '73 & Class of '74-'75
CDLK4574Henry Mancini - Six Hours Past Sunset & A Warm Shade of Ivory
CDLK4575Perry Como - Perry & In Person at the International Hotel Las Vegas
CDLK4577Floyd Cramer - Super Country Hits & The Young and the Restless
CDLK4591Michel Legrand - Twenty Songs of the Century
CDLK4595Hugo Montenegro - Love Theme from The Godfather & Music from A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
CDLK4597Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass - Travelin' & Caribbean Cruise
CDLK4598Arthur Fiedler - Greatest Hits of the '70s Vols. 1 & 2
CDLK4599Percy Faith - Chinatown (featuring The Entertainer) & Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet
CDLK4602Ray Conniff - Laughter in the Rain & Love Will Keep Us Together
CDLK4603Henry Mancini - Mancini Country & Country Gentleman
CDLK4607Paul Mauriat - Penelope & Holidays
CDLK4608Charles Gerhardt - Lost Horizon: The Classic Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin & The Thing from Another World Suite
CDLK4609Doc Severinsen - Rhapsody for Now! & Doc
CDLK4610Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Chet Atkins Picks the Best
CDLK4611Ray Conniff & The Singers - Alone Again (Naturally) & Love Theme from The Godfather
CDLK4612Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden & Lynn Anderson's Greatest Hits
CDLK4613Floyd Cramer - Floyd Cramer with The Music City Pops & Floyd Cramer in Concert
CDLK4614Percy Faith - Clair & Joy
CDLK4615Ray Conniff - Theme from S.W.A.T. and Other TV Themes & Send in the Clowns
CDLK4616Charles Gerhardt - Sunset Boulevard - The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman
CDLK4617Ronnie Milsap - Pure Love & A Legend in My Time
CDLK4619Charlie Rich - The Silver Fox & Very Special Love Songs
CDLK4620Charles Gerhardt/Kiri Te Kanawa - Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann & bonus track
CDLK4622Dottie West - House of Love & If it's All Right with You/Just What I've Been Looking For
CDLK4623Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops - Up, Up and Away & Fiedler's Choice
CDLK4624Ray Conniff - The Happy Sound & Love Story
CDLK4625Percy Faith - New Thing & Black Magic Woman
CDLK4626Stephen Sondheim - A Little Night Music - Original Broadway Cast
CDLK4627Helen Reddy - I Am Woman/Long Hard Climb
CDLK4628Ray Conniff - Harmony & The Way We Were
CDLK4630Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors & Every Time You Touch Me (I Get High)
CDLK4631Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track
CDLK4633Charles Gerhardt - Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn
CDLK4634Paul Mauriat - Emmanuelle & Fantastic 4 Channel
CDLK4638Company - Original Cast Recording
CDLK4639Casablanca - CLassic Film Scores for Humphrey Bogart
CDLK4640A Chorus Line - Original Cast Recording
CDLK4641David Raksin - Conducts his Great Film Scores
CDSML8518Hugo Montenegro - Others By Brothers & Scenes and Themes
CDSML8523Tower of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now
CDSML8524The Main Ingredient - Euphrates River
CDSML8525Hugo Montenegro - Hugo in Wonder-Land & Neil's Diamonds
CDSML8526Ray Davies & The Button Down Brass - Themes from The Exorcist, The French Connection, The Sting and other great films & Flashpoint
CDSML8527Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits
CDSML8528Return to Forever - Musicmagic
CDSML8529The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Dimension 3
CDSML8530Turiya Alice Coltrane & Devadip Carlos Santana - Illuminations
CDSML8531The Cecil Holmes Soulful Sounds - The Black Motion Picture Experience & Music for Soulful Lovers
CDSML8532Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2
CDSML8534Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
CDSML8535Henry Mancini - The Return of the Pink Panther & Symphonic Soul
CDSML8536Hugo Montenegro: Rocket Man - A Tribute To Elton John & Mammy Blue
CDSML8537Art Garfunkel - Breakaway
CDSML8538The Guess Who - Road Food & #10
CDSML8539The Hues Corporation - Rockin' Soul & Love Corporation
CDSML8540Rick Derringer - All American Boy & Spring Fever
CDSML8543Poco - Cantamos & Seven
CDSML8544Airto - Fingers & Airto/Deodato in Concert
CDSML8545Johnnie Taylor - Ear-ga-sm & Rated Extraordinaire
CDSML8546Billy Paul - Live in Europe
CDSML8547Chase - Pure Music & Chase
CDSML8548George Benson - Body Talk
CDSML8550Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
2CDSML8551Billy Paul - 360 Degrees of Billy Paul & War of the Gods
CDSML8552Dr Teleny's Incredible Plugged-in Orchestra/Ettore Stratta & the Baroque Pops - Stolen Goods & Viva Vivaldi
CDSML8553Henry Mancini - Hangin' Out with Henry Mancini & Theme from "Z" and Other Film Music
CDSML8554Tomita - Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé
CDSML8556Herbie Hancock - Sextant
CDSML8557Don Sebesky - Giant Box
CDSML8558Tomita - Firebird
CDSML8559Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
2CDSML8560Buddy Miles - Booger Bear; Carlos Santana/Buddy Miles Live!
CDSML8561MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom & Summertime
CDSML8562The Guess Who - Rockin' & The Best of The Guess Who - Volume 2
CDSML8563Paul Revere & The Raiders - Hard 'n' Heavy (with marshmallow) & Indian Reservation
CDSML8564The Guess Who - American Woman & Share the Land
CDSML8565B. W. Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas
CDSML8566The O'Jays - Survival/Family Reunion
CDSML8568Argent - In Deep (Quad) & Nexus & Ring of Hands (Stereo)
CDSML8569The Miracles - Love Crazy (Quad)/Miracles (Stereo)
CDSML8570Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul & Canned Wheat
CDSML8571Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - Black and Blue/Wake Up Everybody
CDSML8572Blood Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New Day
CDSML8574Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit/That's the Way of the World
CDSML8576Donald Byrd - Street Lady
2CDSML8578Mott the Hoople - The Hoople, All the Young Dudes (Stereo), Mott (Stereo)
CDSML8580Grover Washington - Soul Box
2CDSML8583Burton Cummings - S/T, My Own Way to Rock (Stereo), Dream of a Child (Stereo)
CDSML8584Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Bachman-Turner Overdrive II
CDSML85xxComing Soon - "More & More" by Michael Dutton & Co.

Thanks for that invaluable compilation, Jon, although I do find it depressing that a lot of D~V's worthy contenders didn't receive enough votes or LOVE to qualify for the QQ Surround Polls. IMO, D~V's classical RCA/Columbia discrete QUAD SACDs are also worth mentioning. The EPOCH Surround SACDs are eclectic and even though some are more than worthy of mention, doubt they would spark any interest as far as the polls go.

Thanks for creating this list Jon, the more visibility for D-V's offerings, the better - especially for people who might be new to what they're doing.

Thanks for that invaluable compilation, Jon, although I do find it depressing that a lot of D~V's worthy contenders didn't receive enough votes or LOVE to qualify for the QQ Surround Polls. IMO, D~V's classical RCA/Columbia discrete QUAD SACDs are also worth mentioning. The EPOCH Surround SACDs are eclectic and even though some are more than worthy of mention, doubt they would spark any interest as far as the polls go.

This was disappointing to me at first too, especially because I had so much emotional energy invested in it - but then you see things like this and it shows you that it was all worth it. D-V's very first pop SACD and people are continuing to find it for the first time - the same goes elsewhere, recently I've seen some of the old stalwarts on SH.tv giving in and ordering D-V discs too, and the reviews have been for the most part extremely positive from a crowd that is notoriously tough.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that not everyone purchases surround music with the kind of first-day fervor we do here, but in the fullness of time they are finding it.

As Carl Weathers sang in Happy Gilmore..

mHmsWu.gif

Thank you for your time and work for creating this list. So many Holy Grail titles here, and many I didn't get around to first go around in the Quad era.

The Rick Derringer titles, all on one disc for the price of a CD. "All American Boy," one of the greatest Rock albums of all time. The Johnny Taylor 2'fer titles. Important on so many levels. That is some serious music.

Billy Paul, excellent of course. The Country titles are must haves. Charlie Rich and Lynn Anderson. Herbie Hancock, "Sextant." Santana and Tower of Power. And the rest are obvious titles to buy. Other titles look just plain fun. I love just scrolling up and down the list. Forgot we have so many. Let's hope the Quad gravy train keeps rolling. Buy now or be sorry you missed out. Thanks.

Thanks for creating this list Jon, the more visibility for D-V's offerings, the better - especially for people who might be new to what they're doing.

This was disappointing to me at first too, especially because I had so much emotional energy invested in it - but then you see things like this and it shows you that it was all worth it. D-V's very first pop SACD and people are continuing to find it for the first time - the same goes elsewhere, recently I've seen some of the old stalwarts on SH.tv giving in and ordering D-V discs too, and the reviews have been for the most part extremely positive from a crowd that is notoriously tough.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that not everyone purchases surround music with the kind of first-day fervor we do here, but in the fullness of time they are finding it.

As Carl Weathers sang in Happy Gilmore..

mHmsWu.gif

Glad to hear Dutton Vocalion is receiving recognition at Stereo Centric SHF. Yes, Michael J.'s exceptional mastering deserves kudos and in time will be rewarded with equally gratifying sales figures as well. Loved this June batch and hopefully, D~V will continue to raid the vaults of Sony and eventually other labels, which it has been 'hinting' at. [a few from UMG]

Cannot wait for the next batch!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I probably should have done this earlier, as there was a similar post for Audio Fidelity way back when.

I would have done the classical but I just don't know that stuff that well and I am not sure what's original quad and what's not, and as I recall, some of them have parts of quad albums on them but not all of them. It's all too confusing. o_O

Besides, classical surround discs are rarely voted on around here, so I was not sure it was worth the extra effort.

Besides, classical surround discs are rarely voted on around here, so I was not sure it was worth the extra effort.
Yes, you are right and if you listed the ones that are sourced directly from the Columbia masters (Bartok, Vivaldi, etc.) it would then seem conducive to listing ALL of them...

Incidentally, the two Charles Gerhardt Classic Film Score releases [which get my HIGHEST Recommendation] were originally released on RCA's Red Seal Classical label.

See the source image

Last edited:
Incidentally, the two Charles Gerhardt Classic Film Score releases [which get my HIGHEST Recommendation] were originally released on RCA's Red Seal Classical label.

See the source image

Yeah, I know the difference between an ARD1 and an APD1. And the Dr. Teleny as well. Those albums I always have thought of as borderline non-classical because they also lean towards easy listening/popular so I included them in this list because I did not think there would ever be a classical list.

Oh well. Ain't no way I'm changing it now! :)

Yeah, I know the difference between an ARD1 and an APD1. And the Dr. Teleny as well. Those albums I always have thought of as borderline non-classical because they also lean towards easy listening/popular so I included them in this list because I did not think there would ever be a classical list.

Yeah, Jon, technically, they're considered 'Crossover' albums. No need to change anything.

But all 'n all, a very impressive roster of releases from Dutton Vocalion considering the bulk of their SACDs were TWO~FERS at less than ONE~FER Stereo SACD prices. NO SMALL FEAT in today's market.

Last edited:
I couldn't help but notice the list doesn't include the two SACD's from Paul Mauriat, "Penelope", and "El Bimbo". I have to wonder why they were omitted. Both are excellent sounding, with immersive surround mixes. They're definitely worth a listen.

I was under the impression that those were not original 1970's releases. If they are, I will gladly add them. Can anyone confirm? I am pretty sure they were not US quads.

I bunch of these straddle the line, in that plenty would exclude them from the "classical" category - to my mind most of all the Boston Pops albums of pop songs. But honestly, I don't think we need to worry about that too much here, especially since it's so mixed. Especially the second Fiedler combo - Up, Up and Away isn't classical to my mind but Fiedler's Choice is - so let's just have them on both lists.

Back