SPOTLIGHT Dutton-Vocalion Pop/Rock '70s Quad Reissue Switchboard

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sergio, following are my top 15 favorite Dutton-Vocalion SACD releases in no particular order. It includes any and all genres. You’ll never regret allowing our beloved hobby to expand your musical horizons, hermano!

1. BW Stevenson - My Maria/Calabasas
2. Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
3. Chase - Pure Music/Chase
4. Tomita - Firebird
5. Poco - Cantamos/Seven
6. Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway/If The Shoe Fits
7. Weather Report - Tail Spinnin’
8. Herbert Hancock - Sextant
9. Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image/New City
10. The Guess Who - American Woman/Share The Land
11. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black And Blue/Wake Up Everybody
12. Deodato - Deodato/Deodato 2
13. Billy Paul - 360 Degrees Of Billy Paul/War Of The Gods
14. Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm/Rated Extraordinaire
15. The O’Jays - Survival/Family Reunion

Sergio, following are my top 15 favorite Dutton-Vocalion SACD releases in no particular order. It includes any and all genres. You’ll never regret allowing our beloved hobby to expand your musical horizons, hermano!

1. BW Stevenson - My Maria/Calabasas
2. Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
3. Chase - Pure Music/Chase
4. Tomita - Firebird
5. Poco - Cantamos/Seven
6. Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway/If The Shoe Fits
7. Weather Report - Tail Spinnin’
8. Herbert Hancock - Sextant
9. Blood, Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image/New City
10. The Guess Who - American Woman/Share The Land
11. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Black And Blue/Wake Up Everybody
12. Deodato - Deodato/Deodato 2
13. Billy Paul - 360 Degrees Of Billy Paul/War Of The Gods
14. Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm/Rated Extraordinaire
15. The O’Jays - Survival/Family Reunion

Thank you very much for your advise and list

Regards,

Have a request for all my forum friends,

Can you guys pick your top 20 QUAD SACDs from the Dutton-Vocalion Pop/Rock '70s Quad Reissue list? (81 discs so far)

I want to expand my musical horizons and for sure this is the right place for that.

Thank you

I just noticed one page before you posted this:

I Just did a total count of the disc that I have,

From a total of 76 on that list

got 51 + 5 ordered = 56

Not bad

Regards,

You already have at least 56 discs on the list? o_O

I invite you to list your 20 favorite and 10 least favorite that you bought.

:51QQ

I already had 62 discs from the 83 disc list

These are the 21 disc that I'm contemplating to buy. These are some artists and titles that the music in some cases it's not my cup of tea or never heard of.

Hugo Montenegro - Love Theme from The Godfather & Music from A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass - Travelin' & Caribbean Cruise
Percy Faith - Chinatown (featuring The Entertainer) & Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet
Charles Gerhardt - Sunset Boulevard - The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman
Charlie Rich - The Silver Fox & Very Special Love Songs
Charles Gerhardt/Kiri Te Kanawa - Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann & bonus track
Dottie West - House of Love & If it's All Right with You/Just What I've Been Looking For
Stephen Sondheim - A Little Night Music - Original Broadway Cast
Helen Reddy - I Am Woman/Long Hard Climb
Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track
Hugo Montenegro - Others By Brothers & Scenes and Themes
Ray Davies & The Button Down Brass - Themes from The Exorcist, The French Connection, The Sting and other great films & Flashpoint
Turiya Alice Coltrane & Devadip Carlos Santana - Illuminations
Henry Mancini - The Return of the Pink Panther & Symphonic Soul
Billy Paul - Live in Europe
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Dr Teleny's Incredible Plugged-in Orchestra/Ettore Stratta & the Baroque Pops - Stolen Goods & Viva Vivaldi
Tomita - Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé

Any "MUST HAVE QUAD SACD" recommendation from these 21 discs?

Thank you very must.

Regards,

Last edited:
Oh shit..ALL of them!!!! ..I buy only buy the ones I like and know will listen to more than once...not bothering to count them..
Herbie Hancock
Illuminations
all Ray Conniff
all Arthur Fiedler
Zuckerman/Vivaldi
Levine/Mahler
ALL of the Tomita ones
Rick Derringer
EWF
Paul Mauriat
all of the Guess Who

PLUS A BUNCH I HAVE NOT LISTENED TO YET!!!!

I already had 62 discs from the 83 disc list

These are the 21 disc that I'm contemplating to buy. These are some artists and titles that the music in some cases it's not my cup of tea or never heard of.

Hugo Montenegro - Love Theme from The Godfather & Music from A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass - Travelin' & Caribbean Cruise
Percy Faith - Chinatown (featuring The Entertainer) & Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet
Charles Gerhardt - Sunset Boulevard - The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman
Charlie Rich - The Silver Fox & Very Special Love Songs
Charles Gerhardt/Kiri Te Kanawa - Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann & bonus track
Dottie West - House of Love & If it's All Right with You/Just What I've Been Looking For
Stephen Sondheim - A Little Night Music - Original Broadway Cast
Helen Reddy - I Am Woman/Long Hard Climb
Charles Gerhardt - Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores of Miklós Rózsa & bonus track
Hugo Montenegro - Others By Brothers & Scenes and Themes
Ray Davies & The Button Down Brass - Themes from The Exorcist, The French Connection, The Sting and other great films & Flashpoint
Turiya Alice Coltrane & Devadip Carlos Santana - Illuminations
Henry Mancini - The Return of the Pink Panther & Symphonic Soul
Billy Paul - Live in Europe
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
Dr Teleny's Incredible Plugged-in Orchestra/Ettore Stratta & the Baroque Pops - Stolen Goods & Viva Vivaldi
Tomita - Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé

Any "MUST HAVE QUAD SACD" recommendation from these 21 discs?

Thank you very must.

Regards,
For its astronomically superlative quad mix alone, you definitely require Herbie Hancock - Sextant in your collection. It’s trippin’, dude!

I've bought a bunch but these are my favorites:
Return to Forever - Music Magic
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles live
Weather Report - Talespinnin
Earth Wind & Fire
Why can't we get more titles like these instead of the tsunami of elevator music? :D

Why can't we get more titles like these instead of the tsunami of elevator music? :D

Patience there, Grasshopper. There's always a calm before a storm. I recall there were some pretty longhair releases before they slammed us with The Guess Who, Argent, The Raiders, etc. They certainly seem to be selling well for a dead format with no market or demand! :ROFLMAO:

I'm hoping the next batch will be more up my alley, too. Wracking my brain trying to think what they'll be? Even if we get some southern-flavoured country music, I'd be in for that, too.

ahh.. for every elevator there's a "Stairway To Heaven"... 😍

71A06DEE-2651-4D4E-97A4-DCAC7F66BEB7.jpeg

I really would like:

Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit/That's the Way of the World

Anyone know of a U.S.A. retailer that ships locally? I don’t really want to wait over a month to receive it from the UK with fear of it being lost.

I really would like:

Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit/That's the Way of the World
E
Anyone know of a U.S.A. retailer that ships locally? I don’t really want to wait over a month to receive it from the UK with fear of it being lost.
Let's do a 3fer of Quad discs for the one and only......Americas answer to the Stones.....Aerosmith - Wings, Toys & Rocks!!! I'd die and be willing to do to hell for them.....!!!

PS: A songbird from Japan whispered in my ear not too long ago that maybe just maybe Sony Japan just might have in the works 7" Quad SACD packages coming out in the near future....just don't quote me on it ok :)

Last edited:
Back