Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my order of Azteca, Kris Kristofferson and Friends of Distinction on Tuesday. Opened up the Azteca cd and one of the discs were cracked. Have anyone had any experience with having to get a disc replaced and was it painless? I guess 3 is an unlucky number….
I've bought about 100 discs from Vocalion and I've never received a cracked disc. They'll fix it. Just get in touch with them about this.

So it's the disc and not the case?
That would be a rare occurrence; if so, was the case smashed to smithereens by your postal carrier?
The disc and one the hinges on the insert that holds the cds was cracked and dislodged. It could’ve been that way before being shipped. Over the decades of buying physical media, I’ve seen damage due to shipping, CDs and Blu-ray’s missing from the packaging and wrong discs in sealed product. It just happens sometimes

So it's the disc and not the case?
That would be a rare occurrence; if so, was the case smashed to smithereens by your postal carrier?
While rare that can happen on occasion. I recall seeing a video of the inside of a postal station where they were literally tossing the packages into the sorting bins! Amazing that every shipment is not damaged!

For a brief while I was getting CD's shipped to me without the jewel box. Shipping was very inexpensive that way. Eventually it came back to bite me, as the disc arrived broken. Likewise I prefer when CDs are shipped in cardboard mailers rather than padded envelopes, much less chance of breakage.

likewise I prefer when CDs are shipped in cardboard mailers rather than padded envelopes, much less chance of breakage.
I definitely agree! Discs shipped in a cardboard box is the best, though it's seems hard for many sellers/businesses to totally comprehend why.
BTW, I recently received an order from DV of 7 titles..... No cracks, no damage of any sort.😀
Well, so much for GOS's rule on even number of discs!

Last edited:
While rare that can happen on occasion. I recall seeing a video of the inside of a postal station where they were literally tossing the packages into the sorting bins! Amazing that every shipment is not damaged!

For a brief while I was getting CD's shipped to me without the jewel box. Shipping was very inexpensive that way. Eventually it came back to bite me, as the disc arrived broken. Likewise I prefer when CDs are shipped in cardboard mailers rather than padded envelopes, much less chance of breakage.
It can be even worse than padded envelopes. A “Prime” example, just got in the lovely new 2L BD/SACD of Tuvayhun from Amazon. It’s one of those nice thick wide hinge SACD cases. Of course the case was cracked on the front, because they shipped it in a whisper thin plastic bag and threw it down on my concrete porch.

As long as I go with a GOS’ even number, DV shipments are usually fine. They’re just standard CD cases but why take a chance, by not going even numbers with how rough the postal carriers can be on stuff.

As long as I go with a GOS’ even number, DV shipments are usually fine. They’re just standard CD cases but why take a chance, by not going even numbers with how rough the postal carriers can be on stuff.
I dared to challenge GOS’s Theorem Of Even Numbers by ordering 9 CDs in my last batch. Let’s see what happens. Pray for them. ;)

I only ordered 3 SACD's from the Vocallion Sept releases - shipped across the pond, and all arrived in perfect condition in Arizona. Matter of fact, I don't ever recall having any broken cases from them, which hasn't been the case with local shipments from Amazon.

I'll just leave these historical photos here.
Photography by Ed Ruscha, courtesy the Getty

Tower Records, Sunset Strip, 1973
Pyramid of the Moon released

Parking lot marquee:
Helen Reddy Show Premier Tonite Ch 7
AZTECA AT WHISKY

https://12sunsets.getty.edu/map/1973?mode=normal&d=0.42190&flip=false
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 10.19.15 PM.png

And few blocks away at the Whisky...

https://12sunsets.getty.edu/map/1973?mode=normal&d=0.42676&flip=false&seed=792
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 10.09.23 PM.png

I'll just leave these historical photos here.
Photography by Ed Ruscha, courtesy the Getty

Tower Records, Sunset Strip, 1973
Pyramid of the Moon released

Parking lot marquee:
Helen Reddy Show Premier Tonite Ch 7
AZTECA AT WHISKY

https://12sunsets.getty.edu/map/1973?mode=normal&d=0.42190&flip=false
View attachment 84424

And few blocks away at the Whisky...

https://12sunsets.getty.edu/map/1973?mode=normal&d=0.42676&flip=false&seed=792
View attachment 84425
Thanks for the Great pictures.. Those were the days!

a Rufus Quad DV 2-fer would absolutely blow my tiny mind!!! 🤯🥳💘

"once you get started..." 🎶😍
Me mind grows feeble just thinkin' about it. Don't know anything about anything, just wishful dreaming.
However, I did receive all of 'my precious' 8 DV order.
Just need lots of time to wallow in their glorious rapture!

The Friends of Distinction quads of Grazin' & Real Friends is very nice. This copy of Grazin' In The Grass easily bests the version on the mostly great 2016 comp from Audio Fidelity.

Last edited:
Gotta say I think the jewel of the September releases may be the Kristofferson quads. The stories he told on those albums are greatly served by the four channel mixes. I'm saying this as a first time listener of Kris. I only know him from Blade and a few other things, obviously Bobby and Janis. Cisco Pike is a movie I need to get back into and it's sitting on my shelf.

Back