Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I received my 3 SACD titles from DV today. You want to totally talk about a very cool company that knows their customers??? Obviously, DV is reading our posts, which I always knew, though I don't know who it is.

I've always talked about ordering titles in even numbers. This time, I forgot my own rule, and ordered the 3, and waited for them to arrive, potentially cracked. I opened the package, and there were the 3 SACD titles, and a random 4th CD title to give me my even number!!

I love these guys!!!!

OK, so I received my 3 SACD titles from DV today. You want to totally talk about a very cool company that knows their customers??? Obviously, DV is reading our posts, which I always knew, though I don't know who it is.

I've always talked about ordering titles in even numbers. This time, I forgot my own rule, and ordered the 3, and waited for them to arrive, potentially cracked. I opened the package, and there were the 3 SACD titles, and a random 4th CD title to give me my even number!!

I love these guys!!!!
And, I have every intention of listening to that CD they sent along. :) It's called "The World Of Epoch" About 80 minutes of various titles. All in DDD Stereo. Nice!

Oh shit, I only ordered 3. Damn, didn't follow my own rules. If they arrive broken........

Increments of 2!
I can understand having two packaged together helping to prevent damage, but why would three be any different? Anyway they just use regular jewel cases which can be replaced cheaply anyway. Did I say that I hate regular jewel boxes. I wish that the Super Jewel box was used instead!

I can understand having two packaged together helping to prevent damage, but why would three be any different? Anyway they just use regular jewel cases which can be replaced cheaply anyway. Did I say that I hate regular jewel boxes. I wish that the Super Jewel box was used instead!
Because, they pack them side by side. So, with 3 discs, 2 of them go side by side on bottom, and the third one goes on top of the 2. Creating an uneven surface. Believe me, I've purchased a crap ton from them over the last few years, and nearly every time I ordered an odd number, something gets busted.

Because, they pack them side by side. So, with 3 discs, 2 of them go side by side on bottom, and the third one goes on top of the 2. Creating an uneven surface. Believe me, I've purchased a crap ton from them over the last few years, and nearly every time I ordered an odd number, something gets busted.
Overseas packaging materials are the one weak link in the otherwise mighty D-V chain. I've ordered lots of stuff from other outfits in the UK (and Europe)--Presto, Esoteric, jpc.de, Amazon.fr--and have never had a problem with breakage. Some even use the same thin wraparound/self-adhesive corrugated cardboard that D-V does, only they typically wrap the CDs in an extra layer of bubble wrap before encasing them in the cardboard. With D-V, there's breakage and/or "crackage" more often than not, even when the GOS rule is in effect. I love 'em anyway, and fair enough: jewel cases are cheap.

Last edited:
Overseas packaging materials are the one weak link in the otherwise mighty D-V chain. I've ordered lots of stuff from other outfits in the UK (and Europe)--Presto, Esoteric, jpc, Amazon.fr--and have never had a problem with breakage. Some even use the same thin wraparound/self-adhesive corrugated cardboard that D-V does. But they typically wrap the CDs in an extra layer of bubble wrap before encasing it in the cardboard. With D-V, there's breakage and/or "crackage" more often than not, even when the GOS rule is in effect. I love 'em anyway, and fair enough: jewel cases are cheap.
As D~V's prices on their discs are cheap enough, I find spending the few extra bucks on priority s/h [no tracking] decreases the time they spend in transit and arrive at my New York destination within days lessening the chance of cracked cases .......

Overseas packaging materials are the one weak link in the otherwise mighty D-V chain. I've ordered lots of stuff from other outfits in the UK (and Europe)--Presto, Esoteric, jpc.de, Amazon.fr--and have never had a problem with breakage. Some even use the same thin wraparound/self-adhesive corrugated cardboard that D-V does, only they typically wrap the CDs in an extra layer of bubble wrap before encasing them in the cardboard. With D-V, there's breakage and/or "crackage" more often than not, even when the GOS rule is in effect. I love 'em anyway, and fair enough: jewel cases are cheap.
bah! screw the shitty ol' jewel cases 💽 go back, Jack and give the cracks the sack and let's cherish the gems we have for as long as we both shall live!! 🤗💎

🎶 oh, its all about the discs! 📀📀📀📀 yes, its all about the discs! 📀📀📀📀 🎶

them golden discs in them there hills and valleys of 0's and 1's!! 📀📀📀📀

(oh and the liner notes, ahem, yes , let's not forget about those splendid pages of prose!!) 🧐📝💘🤦‍♀️🤭😂

bah! screw the shitty ol' jewel cases 💽 go back, Jack and give the cracks the sack and let's cherish the gems we have for as long as we both shall live!! 🤗💎

🎶 oh, its all about the discs! 📀📀📀📀 yes, its all about the discs! 📀📀📀📀 🎶

them golden discs in them there hills and valleys of 0's and 1's!! 📀📀📀📀

(oh and the liner notes, ahem, yes , let's not forget about those splendid pages of prose!!) 🧐📝💘🤦‍♀️🤭😂
I liked you better, Adam, when you were flunking TRIGONOMETRY at UNI!

I love these guys!!!!
My three arrived today. No cracking. Animals also arrived today. Lots of listening to do. Thankfully I am retired.

That said: my shallow-pyramid package of 3 arrived yesterday with no breakage and just one crack!

From this new batch, so far I've only bought Azteca. However, I did get 5 others as shown.
A nice clean six pack with no damage as I complied with GOS's Axiom.

Six Dutton Vocalion Quads: $83.94
Shipping on Quads: $14.50
Having them arrive just in time for my birthday: PRICELESS!

DVs.jpg

From this new batch, so far I've only bought Azteca. However, I did get 5 others as shown.

View attachment 83980
And Now we don't have to GUESS WHO came to your birthday festivities.

ENJOY ...GREAT BATCH and MANY HAPPY RETURNS! :QQlove

I've added these new releases to discogs for anyone who might find them useful:

https://www.discogs.com/release/24639923-Azteca-Azteca-Pyramid-Of-The-Moon
https://www.discogs.com/release/246...r-Lord-Jesus-Was-A-Capricorn-Spooky-Ladys-Sid
https://www.discogs.com/release/246...-Grazin-Real-Friends-Highly-Distinct-Whatever
Interestingly (maybe only to me) I noticed when adding the Friends of Distinction release that it marks the first time the two 1970 albums (Real Friends and Whatever) have had any kind of CD release - Grazin' and Highly Distinct were released as a two-fer nearly 15 years ago but have been out of print for some time.

To be honest, I was never a big Country/Western Fan but this 2 disc D~V QUAD remaster containing 4 Kris Kristofferson albums from the early 70's are REAL BEAUTS!

Some have criticized Kris' vocals but on my system they are gorgeous aided and abetted no less by Michael J. D's EXCEPTIONAL remastering from the original analogue masters!

His heartfelt 'gravelly' vocals, crackerjack back up and Columbia/Monument's pristine recordings, IMO and ALL for £23.98, make this a must have set .. provided you like Country Western.

A little tidbit of info: Barbra Streisand originally wanted ELVIS as her co~star in the remake of A STAR IS BORN but failing health and Elvis' death at 42 put the kabash on that and Kristofferson got the role. And Kris' acting chops are also on full display in Yukio Mishima's THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE WITH THE SEA, a 1976 British drama!

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]'S SIDESHOW[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON • THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I, BORDER LORD, JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN, SPOOKY LADY'S SIDESHOW​

[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

LOL, I ordered a second batch of ten the other day and forgot Azteca... DOH! I did remember to order the Kris Kristofferson after seeing the glowing reviews from you and other members though.

View attachment 83980
I, too followed Gos’ Axiom & was justly rewarded
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼74AE3950-E413-4F5B-B924-AB7926AADAE3.jpeg

i'm guessing whatever tracks were used to make the 5.1 mixes (were they 16-track originals? maybe the odd 24-track i don't know?) may be stored on a hard drive somewhere. let's hope they made backups of the multi's at any rate! 🤞

Yes, Richard stated in an interview had he not returned the master tapes ON TIME, had he delayed their return by a week; they would still exist. They burned in the 2008 Universal fire.

HOWEVER.... I personally have a digital 16-track multitrack of "We've Only just Begun" and it features both the original piano track, plus TWO additional (ie: stereo) piano tracks that Richard re-recorded for the SACD 5.1 release.

So, I'm going to assume *ahem* that while the original tapes may be lost; evidence leads me to believe that at the very least, the tracks that appear on the early 2000's 5.1 SACD have been transferred into the digital realm. Now, were the Quad masters also kept at that location? I doubt it, but at this point - we just don't know.

Received my order of Azteca, Kris Kristofferson and Friends of Distinction on Tuesday. Opened up the Azteca cd and one of the discs were cracked. Have anyone had any experience with having to get a disc replaced and was it painless? I guess 3 is an unlucky number….
Ignore GOS’s axiom* at your own peril 😱

*Always order in increments of 2 to avoid shipping damage

Back