Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope so! :)

afaik there's;

Love Story (*),
You've Got A Friend,
In Person - Live At Las Vegas,
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face,
Song Sung Blue,
Me & Mrs Jones,
I'm Coming Home,
When Will I See You Again

(* Japanese SQ LP only)

I would buy every single one of those...upon first release..and pay for tracking....and watch every movement. :yikes

So I finally received my Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, shipped 22nd of December. What a fanstatic release, carefully mastered with lots of dynamics (I ran the DR numbers too http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/123144 ). This is how all vintage soulish 70's recordings should be treated - for what they are. You can basically smell the smoke from the living room. :)

So I finally received my Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now, shipped 22nd of December. What a fanstatic release, carefully mastered with lots of dynamics (I ran the DR numbers too http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/123144 ). This is how all vintage soulish 70's recordings should be treated - for what they are. You can basically smell the smoke from the living room. :)

Don't forget to put in your rating in the Hi Res Poll
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...wer-of-Power-AIN-T-NOTHIN-STOPPIN-US-NOW-SACD

Agree this is the better way to go.
I have been sampling some songs from different titles(Floyd Cramer,Hugo Montenegro) but on the computer speakers this stuff mostly sounds like elevator music so not sure if the titles would get much play for me.
What would you recommend as best title for me to check out or is it the current 4 offerings?

If I may suggest, if you like the classic songs represented on the track listing, don't miss out on Michel Legrand's Twenty Songs of The Century. A lot of excellent mixes on here, and some great performances of most of these songs, with some twists here and there. I like a lot of these releases, but this is the one I find myself playing most often.

If I may suggest, if you like the classic songs represented on the track listing, don't miss out on Michel Legrand's Twenty Songs of The Century. A lot of excellent mixes on here, and some great performances of most of these songs, with some twists here and there. I like a lot of these releases, but this is the one I find myself playing most often.

Oddly, of similar type titles...that's the one I don't own. I need to get it.

Completely agree with this - of all the things that D-V have unearthed so far, this is the biggest hidden gem. An absolute travesty that such a good mix was only available as a relatively rare SQ LP until this SACD came out.

The quad mix was done by Columbia's Don Young, who also did a lot of the best Columbia quads as well. You can see all of them in fredblue's excellent list here, he did Jeff Beck, Johnny & Edgar Winter, Billy Joel, Poco, just to name a few. This disc is right up there with all of them in terms of quad presentation, and has some of the best contemporary jazz musicians of the 70's as part of the studio band playing on it.

Completely agree with this - of all the things that D-V have unearthed so far, this is the biggest hidden gem. An absolute travesty that such a good mix was only available as a relatively rare SQ LP until this SACD came out.

The quad mix was done by Columbia's Don Young, who also did a lot of the best Columbia quads as well. You can see all of them in fredblue's excellent list here, he did Jeff Beck, Johnny & Edgar Winter, Billy Joel, Poco, just to name a few. This disc is right up there with all of them in terms of quad presentation, and has some of the best contemporary jazz musicians of the 70's as part of the studio band playing on it.

Ordered! Michel Legrand. :)

So Dave, where it says on the back cover that it's mixed by Michel Legrand, does it only mean that he was responsible for the stereo mix? Thanks -

So Dave, where it says on the back cover that it's mixed by Michel Legrand, does it only mean that he was responsible for the stereo mix? Thanks -

I believe the credits that D-V used were the ones provided to them by Sony and are from the stereo version of the LP. This is the credit section from the back of the quad LP - apologies for the poor quality.

michellegrandquad.jpg

"Quadraphonic mix by Don Young and Michel Legrand"

I received my 1st 2 Dutton Vocalion SACDs yesterday.

The Main Ingredient - Really nice to have more R&B/Funk in surround. Really good mix of tunes and the Quad is great. I give this one a 9

Hugo in Wonderland - Now this is what Quad is all about! The playing, arrangements and just insane discrete mix and panning. A 10 all the way. I would even call this a funk album. Top notch stuff. This disc will definitely be in heavy rotation for the foreseeable future
I would give Neil's Diamonds a 9, mainly due to the material. I like the Stevie Wonder tunes more so the Neil Diamond. The mix and fidelity are good.

I Like the variety of what DV is releasing. Not everything is to my taste, but it's great to have a choice of different types of tunes

I'm going to order Musicmagic and Jimmy Castor Bunch next (gotta have the funk). At some point I will buy the other Hugo Montenegro disc, Michael Legrand, Ray Davies , Tower of Power, and possibly Pure Prairie League.

I've had a good quality transfer of the Santana/ Alice Coltrane quad that I have not listened to in about 10 years. Gonna pass on this one, as I won't listen to it again for another 10. Not my cup of tea (and I really like Santana)

I received my 1st 2 Dutton Vocalion SACDs yesterday.

The Main Ingredient - Really nice to have more R&B/Funk in surround. Really good mix of tunes and the Quad is great. I give this one a 9

Hugo in Wonderland - Now this is what Quad is all about! The playing, arrangements and just insane discrete mix and panning. A 10 all the way. I would even call this a funk album. Top notch stuff. This disc will definitely be in heavy rotation for the foreseeable future

I would give Neil's Diamonds a 9, mainly due to the material. I like the Stevie Wonder tunes more so the Neil Diamond. The mix and fidelity are good.

Be sure to share your ratings of Hugo In Wonderland/Neil's Diamonds by Hugo Montenegro and Euphrates River by the Main Ingredient in the HiRez Spotlight Polls for these two Dutton Vocalion Surround SACDs:

CDSML-8525: Hugo Montenegro - Hugo In Wonderland & Neil's Diamonds - HiRez Spotlight Poll
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-HUGO-IN-WONDER-LAND-amp-NEIL-S-DIAMONDS-SACD

CDSML-8524: Main Ingredient - Euphrates River - HiRez Spotlight Poll
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...2911-The-Main-Ingredient-EUPHRATES-RIVER-SACD

Found a reference on line to a Percy Faith 2-fer that was due in late 2016, Chinatown and Love Theme From Juliet. Did this title ever show up?

Ok, great. My opinion is that two-fers are the way to go with many albums and artists. And often it fits. So if they announce four new discs and two are two-fers, it's like being offered up 6 titles in fact.

If I could just get my first 7 discs I would not have to blabber on, I could just go listen.

I think whether they do a two-fer depends in part on the popularity of the material, and I suspect licensing costs. All of the classical discs were 1.5 or two-fers, and all but one of the easy listening discs were two-fers as well. However, with more pop material, only one was. Way things will be, I suspect.

So, I've been doing some wondering about how D-V is sustaining this program, with titles that wouldn't usually sell that well. As I understand it, a SACD hybrid order cannot typically be smaller than 5,000 discs, and I don't believe D-V expects to sell 5,000 discs of specialized material to surround enthusiasts. So they're clearly partly relying on people buying these discs as regular CDs, since many of these have gone out of print in the CD format, if they were ever released that way. I suppose they're keeping they're costs low, as well - Michael Dutton is doing all the audio parts himself, the booklets are straight copies of the LP notes and art, they don't seem to have a deal with a distributor and are just selling directly, and so forth.

I worry that their classical releases aren't getting enough attention, but I suppose they have a decent idea how to market their products in both the classical and easy listening genres at this point - they've been at this for a while.

As an aside, some of their own classical SACD recordings (sadly/bafflingly many are in stereo only) are seriously discounted on their website right now

I believe that the new reality in pressing discs is that it is not uncommon for there to be 1,000, 2,000 or 3,000 unit runs. Ten or fifteen years ago it was different. Things have changed dramatically, really.

I believe that the new reality in pressing discs is that it is not uncommon for there to be 1,000, 2,000 or 3,000 unit runs. Ten or fifteen years ago it was different. Things have changed dramatically, really.

That's correct.
Whether we are talking LPs or SACDs, reissues from companies like Mobile Fidelity typically have runs around 2,000 to 3,000 copies as that is the maximum level of sales expected in today's market.

Back