Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well here's some of my DV Quad favourites 😍

there are more i just ran out of room to take a pic there are so many of them!! 🤣

View attachment 54405

from L to R,

Top row : Donald Byrd "Black Byrd", Percy Faith "New Thing", Ray Conniff "The Happy Sound Of", Henry Mancini "Symphonic Soul", Best Of Guess Who Volume II, Buddy Miles & Santana

2nd row : Santana & Alice Coltrane "Illuminations", Michel Legrand "Twenty Songs Of The Century", Swingle Singers "Four Seasons", Guess Who "Road Food & #10", Pure Prairie League "If The Shoe Fits & Two Lane Highway", Hugo Montenegro "Rocket Man"

3rd row : Weather Report "Tale Spinnin'", Deodato 1 & 2, Herbie Hancock "Sextant", Charlie Rich "Behind Closed Doors & Every Time You Touch Me I Get High", George Benson "Body Talk", Hugo Montenegro "In Wonder-Land"

4th row : Johnnie Taylor "Eargasm", B W Stevenson "Calabasas", Poco "Cantamos & Seven", Miracles "Love Crazy", Art Garfunkel "Breakaway", Hues Corporation "Rockin' Soul & Love Corporation"

5th row : Rick Derringer "All American Boy & Spring Fever", Chase "Pure Music", Blood Sweat & Tears "Mirror Image & New City", Don Sebesky "Giant Box", Art Garfunkel "Angel Clare", Return To Forever "Musicmagic"

Bottom row : O'Jays "Survival & Family Reunion", MFSB "Philadelphia Freedom", Harold Melvin "Black & Blue / Wake Up Everybody", Earth Wind & Fire "Spirit & That's The Way Of The World", Tower Of Power "There Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now", Billy Paul "360 Degrees Of.. & War Of The Gods".

Nice work here Fred! ..Oh & to Neil, welcome to the party Pal!!! About what titles to get. Just 3 letters ...A-L-L
Try to get 'em all, great music & priced at a real bargain!

Last edited:
Many thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions. After much deliberation I went for the following as a first order (I'm sure there will be more!)

Michael Tilson Thomas - Carmina Burana
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway
Chase - Pure Music & Chase
E. Power Biggs • Music for Organ, Brass and Percussion • The Six Organ-Concerto Sinfonias
Poco - Cantamos & Seven
Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Chet Atkins Picks the Best

An eclectic mix! :)

...and they all arrived this morning! 😲

I only placed the order yesterday: That's incredible service! I know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of the week. :LB
You must live close to @fredblue, he probably popped into DV picked up your order and hand delivered right to your door, so you could enjoy with that Prestige Service experience 😍

Nicely eclectic initial order, Neil. In the case of two items you ordered I would have been happy to sell you my copies (won't say which, not wishing to rain on anyone's parade) but even those I enjoyed hearing the mix, just not a fan of the music. The one essential item missing from your list, IMHO, is Tale Spinnin' by Weather Report, which to me tops the Dutton list both on mix and musical achievement. As others have said, I'm amazed that it's still available at the original price. The Tilson Thomas Carmina Burana/Beethoven choral music/Gershwin disc wins the 'weirdest combo' award hands down. But I never expected to hear a surround version of MTT's recording of Rhapsody in Blue with the Gershwin piano roll/small combo arrangement, and to me the two Gershwin pieces are worth the price of the 2-disc set.

Nicely eclectic initial order, Neil. In the case of two items you ordered I would have been happy to sell you my copies (won't say which, not wishing to rain on anyone's parade) but even those I enjoyed hearing the mix, just not a fan of the music. The one essential item missing from your list, IMHO, is Tale Spinnin' by Weather Report, which to me tops the Dutton list both on mix and musical achievement. As others have said, I'm amazed that it's still available at the original price. The Tilson Thomas Carmina Burana/Beethoven choral music/Gershwin disc wins the 'weirdest combo' award hands down. But I never expected to hear a surround version of MTT's recording of Rhapsody in Blue with the Gershwin piano roll/small combo arrangement, and to me the two Gershwin pieces are worth the price of the 2-disc set.

I had to make some choices about what to put in/keep out of the first order and, in the end, went with a combination of recommendations and recordings that sparked my interest in one way or another - for example Carmina Burana is something I have loved ever since I first heard O Fortuna in John Boorman's "Excalibur" (...if ever a film needed a decent restoration and 5.1 soundtrack, but that's another discussion.) I don't mind the odd programming especially as Rhapsody in Blue was my daughter's favourite piano piece (she's a pianist) for a long time when she was younger!

...and the Chet Atkins is purely because I've been reading Steve Howe's autobiography recently and he's mad on him.

Don't worry - Tale Spinnin' will almost certainly be on my next order, along with the O'Jays Survival and a few others that had multiple recommendations. It's great that we have so many to choose from. :)

All the DV Guess Whos + Garfunkel's Breakaway arrived today, 5 in total.
Coming from a Heavy Rock/Prog Rock/Big Band Jazz background I do like a bit of Classical - Symphonies. trouble is apart from the obvious Beethoven & Mozart I not really aware of who, or more particular, what it is I like, eg I've heard Wagner & thought wow, but not a clue exactly what it was.... I cannot though listen to any Opera by anyone.
What I have noticed is a lot props for
Eugene Ormandy • Shostakovich Symphonies NOS. 5 & 15 which intrigued me, so before purchasing I wanted to give it a listen, even in lo fi via Spotify, trouble is there's 100s of different versions of 5 & 15 to listen to but not this one, do I just pick any of them at random & that'll give a good idea of what it it's all about?

All the DV Guess Whos + Garfunkel's Breakaway arrived today, 5 in total.
Coming from a Heavy Rock/Prog Rock/Big Band Jazz background I do like a bit of Classical - Symphonies. trouble is apart from the obvious Beethoven & Mozart I not really aware of who, or more particular, what it is I like, eg I've heard Wagner & thought wow, but not a clue exactly what it was.... I cannot though listen to any Opera by anyone.
What I have noticed is a lot props for
Eugene Ormandy • Shostakovich Symphonies NOS. 5 & 15 which intrigued me, so before purchasing I wanted to give it a listen, even in lo fi via Spotify, trouble is there's 100s of different versions of 5 & 15 to listen to but not this one, do I just pick any of them at random & that'll give a good idea of what it it's all about?

Any good performance by any reputable orchestra should give you the flavor of the Shostakoviches. There's broad agreement that the surround mix of the Dutton reissue is extraordinary, especially the 5th.

If you like "big"-sounding symphonic works, you'll probably also like the James Levine Mahlers (1 & 4), and Orff's Carmina Burana and Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra--and maybe even Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra (Boulez Conducts Bartok), which is a landmark surround recording. Of course prog fans--and prog bands--are usually big on Stravinsky, too: start with Firebird and Rite of Spring, and move on to Petrushka and Pulcinella.

Will Return to Forever Romantic Warrior ever come out on DV Quad?

Back