Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they ever do a surround release of the Guess Who Greatest Hits Volume One?

AF release?

Audio Fidelity - they released a short series of multichannel SACDs (mostly quad and a few 5.1) from around 2014-2016 before going under. Unfortunately, I think they're all out-of-print now. Dutton-Vocalion basically picked up where they left off with regards to quad reissues.

Guess Who AF.jpg

Audio Fidelity - they released a short series of multichannel SACDs (mostly quad and a few 5.1) from around 2014-2016 before going under. Unfortunately, I think they're all out-of-print now. Dutton-Vocalion basically picked up where they left off with regards to quad reissues.

View attachment 57810
If you have the money

$90 plus $5 shipping...hmmm. Unless one cherishes the collection value of this particular AF disc, one can purchase all four albums from which these tracks were taken for under $41 including Priority shipping from Dutton Vocalion:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8570
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8564
Plus one gets all the other tracks not included on the Best Of collection. Many of these non-best-of tracks are quite good.

These DV titles still aren't even on the "Buy now or repent later" list.

$90 plus $5 shipping...hmmm. Unless one cherishes the collection value of this particular AF disc, one can purchase all four albums from which these tracks were taken for under $41 including Priority shipping from Dutton Vocalion:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8570
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8564
Plus one gets all the other tracks not included on the Best Of collection. Many of these non-best-of tracks are quite good.

These DV titles still aren't even on the "Buy now or repent later" list.

What fun would that be...getting the music and saving money...what would we complain about...oh wait...there is the shipping to complain about...my bad 🤭

Yeah it looks like those two releases have all the songs I know that I know already. Maybe I will pick those up!
The songs on Share the Land that aren’t on the Best Of disc are really good.

On American Woman, Proper Stranger is a killer cut that is not on the Best Of collection but should be. Plus the quad version is longer than the stereo version. You get both on the DV.

Then there is the original 5:41 version of No Time on Canned Wheat that you won’t find on the Best Of disc.

I think everyone got a lot of the good stuff covered, three releases I don't think were mentioned that should also make the cut IMHO:
  1. Michael Tilson Thomas and the New York Philharmonic. It's a mixed bag because the pieces played don't really go very well together, but on their own they're great, and more importantly it includes An American in Paris, and a recording of Rhapsody in Blue with Gershwin playing the piano (via the piano reel he made in 1925). Nothing comes close to Bernstein IMO, but this is super discrete and simply wonderful.
  2. Zukerman plays and conducts The Four Seasons - just beautiful, super discrete, a must have.
  3. Stokowski Conducts Bach - maybe the closest thing to heaven one can experience in this life.

The songs on Share the Land that aren’t on the Best Of disc are really good.

On American Woman, Proper Stranger is a killer cut that is not on the Best Of collection but should be. Plus the quad version is longer than the stereo version. You get both on the DV.

Then there is the original 5:41 version of No Time on Canned Wheat that you won’t find on the Best Of disc.

Ok..Ok...you made your point...geeze...I mean you had me at $41...just remember....nobody likes a "no it all" :bowing: not even the "fat lady"AFTER she singso_O:whistle:

I think everyone got a lot of the good stuff covered, three releases I don't think were mentioned that should also make the cut IMHO:
  1. Michael Tilson Thomas and the New York Philharmonic. It's a mixed bag because the pieces played don't really go very well together, but on their own they're great, and more importantly it includes An American in Paris, and a recording of Rhapsody in Blue with Gershwin playing the piano (via the piano reel he made in 1925). Nothing comes close to Bernstein IMO, but this is super discrete and simply wonderful.
  2. Zukerman plays and conducts The Four Seasons - just beautiful, super discrete, a must have.
  3. Stokowski Conducts Bach - maybe the closest thing to heaven one can experience in this life.
I looked at that Stokowski disc, but it doesn't have Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which I love from my Disney/Fantasia days. I would LOVE that in surround.

I looked at that Stokowski disc, but it doesn't have Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which I love from my Disney/Fantasia days. I would LOVE that in surround.

It's a recording from the 50's so the most you'll get is Stereo. There must be other recordings of that arrangement though. Perhaps even available in Quad or 5.1

This is a great list. I actually think the Rhapsody in Blue is a little problematic on this disc but that's a minority opinion. I'd go with Earl Wild or Bernstein, or Freddy Kempf on BIS for a modern MCH recording.

For the Toccata and Fugue, you can get it in multichannel SACD in a modern recording here:
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiNzk5MTE0OS4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE0MDE5ODI1NzN9

I'd also urge you to consider this...Serebrier was Stokowski's assistant as a young man and has a real understanding of Stokowski, even if it's only in stereo (his disc of Stokowski's Russian transcriptions is on SACD):

61ZPHmdIpUL._SL500_.jpg

You can see a take from the recording sessions here:

Thus far, I only have D-Vs classical releases. Can you'll please recommend a few in the progressive rock category ? Soul, R&B & Jazz aren't really my cup of tea.
Only just discovered DV this year myself, don't think they have any 'true' Prog Rock, closest maybe The Guess Who, who as someone from the UK & missed the 60s & early mid 70s era I'd never heard of apart from a couple of songs, all the DV releases are essential in that Classic Rock style, I'd start with the 2for, Road Food/10 as being the most mature sounding & closest to Prog Rock, then if like it get the lot.

Back