Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Maybe I'm a little late to the party, but I've just discovered Dutton Vocalion and am currently enjoying their two Tomita SACD releases. A lot. Daphnis et Chloe is immense!

I'm also impressed by the size of their SACD multi channel catalogue and their competitive pricing; a breath of fresh air in these days of inflated second hand prices!

Sooo... what else do QQ members have/recommend from their catalogue? Make me a shopping list!

Maybe I'm a little late to the party, but I've just discovered Dutton Vocalion and am currently enjoying their two Tomita SACD releases. A lot. Daphnis et Chloe is immense!

I'm also impressed by the size of their SACD multi channel catalogue and their competitive pricing; a breath of fresh air in these days of inflated second hand prices!

Sooo... what else do QQ members have/recommend from their catalogue? Make me a shopping list!
Might depend on how eclectic your musical tastes run: i.e. Classical, Country, Funk, etc.?

Might depend on how eclectic your musical tastes run: i.e. Classical, Country, Funk, etc.?
Well, my background and "first love" was Progressive Rock, but I consider myself to have a pretty eclectic taste, particularly if the surround mix and production is exceptional. I actually quite like using surround as a medium for expanding my tastes.

Well, my background and "first love" was Progressive Rock, but I consider myself to have a pretty eclectic taste, particularly if the surround mix and production is exceptional. I actually quite like using surround as a medium for expanding my tastes.
The mastering (Michael J. Dutton) on those DV titles are all awesome and the value is unparalleled IMO, so hopefully you have deep pockets - LOL. I generally pick 4-5 main stream titles and add a classical to get a @GOS six pack going for each order (minimizes cracked cases with even numbers.)
I'll work on a list 🙂

Breakaway (although it's border line Easy Listening, it's an incredible surround mix)
That's the Way of the World/Spirit (Perfection all the way)
Pure Prairie League TwoFer - Good stuff - Country Rock
Guess Who - American Woman/Share the Land

as a start

I can see my wallet is in for a serious hammering already! Anyone have the Carmina Burana disc? I know it's a bit cliche, but I like the idea of it in surround, if it's good.
Yes, go for the serious wallet hammering! As I've said in other threads, these DV titles are such good value (twelve quid for a twofer) that it pays to add a bunch of them to your order even if you only end up liking a couple of songs on any given album.

Chase's Pure Music kind of approaches prog rock at times - it's a really interesting album with elements of rock, jazz fusion, and weird synthesizer freakouts.

In terms of mix, pretty much anything they've done from the CBS family of labels is excellent. My personal favorites are the R&B/Soul titles - I'd say those Philadelphia International quads (Harold Melvin, O'Jays, MFSB, Billy Paul) are some of the best surround mixes of all time.

Yes, go for the serious wallet hammering! As I've said in other threads, these DV titles are such good value (twelve quid for a twofer) that it pays to add a bunch of them to your order even if you only end up liking a couple of songs on any given album.

The Dutton discs will be valuable in a couple of years...look what happened to the Audio Fidelity titles

Here's my short list (I even have some titles I haven't even cracked open yet to hear - 😳 Bad Doggie!!!)
*Would love to see what @steelydave's list is (probably not cool to Dave, but hey I'm just sayin' right!)

Breakaway
Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Picks The Best
Earth Wind & Fire - Sprit & Thats the Way
The Guess Who - American Woman & Share the land
The OJays - Survival & Family Reunion
Tomita - Firebird
360 Degrees of Billy Paul
The Miracles - Love Crazy
Blood Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New City
B W Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom
M Tilson Thomas & Cleveland LSO - Orff Carmina Burna & M Tilson Thomas LSO & NYP - Beethoven & Gershwin
Boulez NYPO - Bartok Concerto For Orchestra
Eugene Ormandy • Shostakovich Symphonies NOS. 5 & 15
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation
Pierre Boulez conducts Stravinsky: Petrushka & Pulcinella Suite
Return to Forever - Musicmagic
George Benson - Body Talk

Back