Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Coltrane/Santana album is not Prog but nicely experimental, should you be interested in exploring other avenues...

R-10803389-1506301448-9016.jpeg.jpg

Thus far, I only have D-Vs classical releases. Can you'll please recommend a few in the progressive rock category ? Soul, R&B & Jazz aren't really my cup of tea.
Herbie Hancock Sextant. Try before you buy! The opening track, Rain Dance, is heavily synthesized in a way that could appeal to a prog fan, like a classical electronic piece with some jazz elements. I’ve only heard the stereo but there’s lots of quad mixing potential.

The other tracks are a heavy funk and a faster jazz funk.

Herbie Hancock Sextant. Try before you buy! The opening track, Rain Dance, is heavily synthesized in a way that could appeal to a prog fan, like a classical electronic piece with some jazz elements. I’ve only heard the stereo but there’s lots of quad mixing potential.

The other tracks are a heavy funk and a faster jazz funk.

the Quad is everything you'd want it to be - and then some, its an extraordinary mix imho, befitting of the compositions.

Here's my short list (I even have some titles I haven't even cracked open yet to hear - 😳 Bad Doggie!!!)
*Would love to see what @steelydave's list is (probably not cool to Dave, but hey I'm just sayin' right!)

Breakaway
Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Picks The Best
Earth Wind & Fire - Sprit & Thats the Way
The Guess Who - American Woman & Share the land
The OJays - Survival & Family Reunion
Tomita - Firebird
360 Degrees of Billy Paul
The Miracles - Love Crazy
Blood Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New City
B W Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom
M Tilson Thomas & Cleveland LSO - Orff Carmina Burna & M Tilson Thomas LSO & NYP - Beethoven & Gershwin
Boulez NYPO - Bartok Concerto For Orchestra
Eugene Ormandy • Shostakovich Symphonies NOS. 5 & 15
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation
Pierre Boulez conducts Stravinsky: Petrushka & Pulcinella Suite
Return to Forever - Musicmagic
George Benson - Body Talk

I recently completed a second listen to the Boulez / Stravinsky Petrushka & Pulcinella Suite. Right on again @J. PUPSTER ! This one is also a real winner. The first album in the twofer is more of an immersive mix but there are some discrete elements popping up in the rears. Regardless, it is an immensely satisfying multichannel presentation.

The Pulcinella Suite is terrific quad romp with aggressive use of the rears. Some pop / rock aficionados may take a liking to it.

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Shostakovich disc is also a winner. Now to listen to the final two classical recommendations...eventually.

I just got my two (four) Guess Who albums that I ordered. I made a quick run through the hits on both discs and it was a lot of fun. Certainly quite a different approach, these old quad mixes, but they're pretty awesome. And the Guess Who were an awesome band!

I just wanted to thank the members here for all of the detailed reviews, they are very helpful when looking for decent quad and surround titles to purchase. Here's what happened to me the other day. I had planned to order the Carlos Santana/Alice Coltrane Illuminations disc from D/V, but was waiting to find a few other discs to make the order worthwhile. I had already ordered a lot of stuff from them that is in my wheelhouse (Guess Who/Argent/Weather Report/BS&T/George Benson etc.) so I decided to read this thread and look for some recommendations, maybe some stuff where I knew the artist but wasn't familiar with the albums. Pretty soon I had another 4 discs in my basket. OK, that was it, I was done. Or so I thought, until I read one poster's comment that you really should order an even 6 discs, so that the shipping package is safer and won't crack the case. Well, that makes sense, so back I went through the catalogue. LOL! Anyway, my order is placed. Thanks again. BTW, here are the other discs I chose: Donald Byrd - Street Lady; Donald Byrd - Black Byrd; Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Chet Atkins Picks the Best; Poco - Cantamos & Seven; B W Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas.

I just wanted to thank the members here for all of the detailed reviews, they are very helpful when looking for decent quad and surround titles to purchase. Here's what happened to me the other day. I had planned to order the Carlos Santana/Alice Coltrane Illuminations disc from D/V, but was waiting to find a few other discs to make the order worthwhile. I had already ordered a lot of stuff from them that is in my wheelhouse (Guess Who/Argent/Weather Report/BS&T/George Benson etc.) so I decided to read this thread and look for some recommendations, maybe some stuff where I knew the artist but wasn't familiar with the albums. Pretty soon I had another 4 discs in my basket. OK, that was it, I was done. Or so I thought, until I read one poster's comment that you really should order an even 6 discs, so that the shipping package is safer and won't crack the case. Well, that makes sense, so back I went through the catalogue. LOL! Anyway, my order is placed. Thanks again. BTW, here are the other discs I chose: Donald Byrd - Street Lady; Donald Byrd - Black Byrd; Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Chet Atkins Picks the Best; Poco - Cantamos & Seven; B W Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas.
Corny, but I bought the Helen Reddy. I think she had a great voice.

Corny, but I bought the Helen Reddy. I think she had a great voice.
So I transfer my discs to a hard drive so I can play them in the car. The first thing that happens when I add new stuff is, while it's reorganizing the drive in the car, it plays the lowest song in the alphabet. I my case that's "A OK" by Helen Reddy. I hear that song a couple times a week. Followed by A Day In The Life by the Beatles. Man I hate that song.

Audio Fidelity - they released a short series of multichannel SACDs (mostly quad and a few 5.1) from around 2014-2016 before going under. Unfortunately, I think they're all out-of-print now. Dutton-Vocalion basically picked up where they left off with regards to quad reissues.

View attachment 57810
Holy crap. That disc is going for over $200 on Discogs! :oops:

So I transfer my discs to a hard drive so I can play them in the car. The first thing that happens when I add new stuff is, while it's reorganizing the drive in the car, it plays the lowest song in the alphabet. I my case that's "A OK" by Helen Reddy. I hear that song a couple times a week. Followed by A Day In The Life by the Beatles. Man I hate that song.
That's hilarious Bob; maybe you can find some songs that start off with numbers, or do those end up at the end of the cue?

I was playing material exclusively from my DV quads the other day. It was the 13th, so I was playing the 3rd track on each album. In general, the mastering and clean sound of these quads is remarkable. So.......

To Do List:
- Save up some more money
- Make a list of DV multichannel discs not currently in collection
- Start buying them
- Do so before the Oct 1 price increases
- Buy en masse and save on shipping costs!
- Get that SACD ripper program cranking again

If anyone were to ask me what, in D-V's catalog, should be considered essential, I'd tell them it's whatever matches their tastes. Just that simple.
I’ve bought many discs of artists i wasn’t aware of previously or werent exactly my taste because there was a multi channel mix, so keep the suggestions coming.

Back