Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'll get here when they're ready, and not a second sooner (soon being relative ♾️ 😁)

I agree with Pupster but I think a "soon" can be expressed more formally, in standard QQ units:

"Time between Animals SACD being announced and Animals SACD being available to buy" > "soon" > "Time between Animals SACD being available to buy and hitting the Buy button"

I'm not sure why DV includes a CD layer on their (MCH) SACDs, they have to spend extra money/time to acquire (and prepare for mastering) the stereo version, it might cost less to just run their (prepared for mastering) Quad mix thru a software QS encoder to create the content for the stereo CD layer.

Kirk Bayne
It would be to make them playable on regular CD players, in stereo, so they could also be heard on any car or portable CD players, in places where surround isn't available. A single disc that can meet all possible uses. It makes a lot of sense to me.

QS is compatible with stereo (less so w/mono), and using QS encoding on the CD layer would:

Make the unique quad mix available to stereo listeners.

Allow partial surround sound decoding using the passive Hafler/DynaQuad speaker matrix method.

IMHO, there could be a marketing advantage to offering the encoded quad mix for stereo listeners
"Hear a different version of your favorite album".

An all digital QS encoder would minimize adding noise and distortion to the quad mix.

I don't know if DV knows about the existence of an all digital QS encoder.

Kirk Bayne

QS is compatible with stereo (less so w/mono), and using QS encoding on the CD layer would:

Make the unique quad mix available to stereo listeners.

Allow partial surround sound decoding using the passive Hafler/DynaQuad speaker matrix method.

IMHO, there could be a marketing advantage to offering the encoded quad mix for stereo listeners
"Hear a different version of your favorite album".

An all digital QS encoder would minimize adding noise and distortion to the quad mix.

I don't know if DV knows about the existence of an all digital QS encoder.

Kirk Bayne
Yes but, surround listeners have the discrete mix so we can do without an encoded version. The discs are made to sell to a wider audience most of whom are stereo listeners. Stereo people would want the original stereo mix.

While I agree with your argument about the encoded mix for stereo listeners, that should have been done in the seventies with all new releases being encoded in some fashion. For DV to try something like that now would be a big gamble for them. If word got out in the audio press I could harm their sales.

If you need an encoded version simply do it yourself with an audio editing program like Audition or with the Involve encoder.

3 new titles from Dutton Vocalion announced just now:

Edward Elgar • String Quartet in E minor, Piano Quintet in A minor/Albert Sammons • Phantasy Quartet in B major​

Ralph Vaughan Williams • 49th Parallel: the complete music written for the film​

Albert Ketèlbey • In Holiday Mood, Three Fanciful Etchings, In a Fairy Realm, A Japanese Carnival, From a Japanese Screen and other works​

Welcome to the Dutton Vocalion website

3 new titles from Dutton Vocalion announced just now:

Edward Elgar • String Quartet in E minor, Piano Quintet in A minor/Albert Sammons • Phantasy Quartet in B major​

Ralph Vaughan Williams • 49th Parallel: the complete music written for the film​

Albert Ketèlbey • In Holiday Mood, Three Fanciful Etchings, In a Fairy Realm, A Japanese Carnival, From a Japanese Screen and other works​

Welcome to the Dutton Vocalion website
Yup, discussion here: Dutton Epoch - 3 New Quad SACDs (April 2023)

When Michael when?
QQ is waiting.
Are you going to let a Rhino stampede over you?
Are you going to let some super deluxe editions bluray you to oblivion?
We are waiting for you to work your magic on more liberated quads with our wallets flapping in the breeze.

I'm really excited about what DV has (soon) in store in the rock / pop stuff of course. I'd be happy if they only announced two upcoming titles even, so long as they are good ones. The one (actually of many) title I can't believe we have not gotten yet is Nilsson Schmilsson. Sony controlled and many many reissues of this album with various different bonus tracks, and MFSL did a gold CD and later an SACD. Audio Fidelity got the big hit in quad on the "The Collection" release. The song did not exactly jump out of the speakers as an expected great master tape should. So while it has no issues with getting licensed, and tapes are available as well, maybe the master has become dull and sounds like s. Why else would they hast thou forsaken Nilsson Schmilsson in quad. It's a no brainer, I mean please. That is unless the tapes are dull junk now and nobody wants to mess with it?

But I have waited for some years now for DV to get to my top favorites from Sony/BMG catalogs.

My current top 3 Sony quads I'd appreciate from DV about now (or at least the ones that I never heard of a problem with licensing).

1. Nilsson Schmilsson
2. Waylon Jennings - Lonesome, On'ry & Mean
3. Blue Oyster Cult - T&M

I mean look at that batch of three above - a top pop title, a country legend, and a hard rock album that is considered (by some) the band's best.

Santana looks to be covered well. With the Aerosmith, Paul Simon, J&E Winter's albums there might be issues with so I wouldn't plead for them right now, maybe next year.

Last edited:
It would be to make them playable on regular CD players, in stereo, so they could also be heard on any car or portable CD players, in places where surround isn't available. A single disc that can meet all possible uses. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Do any new cars still have CD players?

He has not forsaken us. He has a lot going on.
And the Covid era is still causing slow downs with production.
More insights coming soon...
"Good things come to those who wait". Simon, at DV, told me there are things in the works, but it's their policy not to spill the beans before they're officially announced. I'm intrigued...

"Good things come to those who wait". Simon, at DV, told me there are things in the works, but it's their policy not to spill the beans before they're officially announced. I'm intrigued...
I have NO doubt that the Wizard of Watford who has bestowed upon the QUAD crowd literally hundreds of magnificently remastered QUAD SACDs over the past few years at 70's prices will continue to do so and has wisely chosen to keep ALL future releases under wraps until they're ready to be shipped OUT OF THE GATE!

No waiting two or three years [and sometimes MORE] for either MoFi or Analogue Productions TBD Stereo SACDs to arrive at 2023 inflationary prices!

Subaru is bringing back CD players on some of their models.
My old subaru has both a cd player and cassette player although the cassette section does not compare to the aftermarket units I used to put in my cars

Maybe what's taking DV so long is they are gearing ip for the cassette revival and are planning to offer matrix encoded cassettes?

Back