Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subaru is bringing back CD players on some of their models.
My old subaru has both a cd player and cassette player although the cassette section does not compare to the aftermarket units I used to put in my cars

Maybe what's taking DV so long is they are gearing ip for the cassette revival and are planning to offer matrix encoded cassettes?
Jeffie, time to drive that OLD Subaru into the La Brea tar pits ...along with all those other ancient relics! 🦖

Good post @quicksrt
That Nilsson Scmilsson is a great album and quad why don't we have it yet?

I would be up for a 2fer of both BOC quads no one would object to buying the already released one and the mastering is bound to be better with DV

I wish they could do a box set of all the Winter brothers quads....if Mac Davis got one why not them?
DV might have to outsource for the marbles and scarves however.

Does Michael read any of our posts here ?

Guess I will know the answer if I get some dog poop in my next DV order.

Good post @quicksrt

I would be up for a 2fer of both BOC quads no one would object to buying the already released one and the mastering is bound to be better with DV

I wish they could do a box set of all the Winter brothers quads....if Mac Davis got one why not them?

Does Michael read any of our posts here ?

Guess I will know the answer if I get some dog poop in my next DV order.
No worries jefe. Your next DV order will include every disc with a cracked case.

QS is compatible with stereo (less so w/mono), and using QS encoding on the CD layer would:

Make the unique quad mix available to stereo listeners.

Allow partial surround sound decoding using the passive Hafler/DynaQuad speaker matrix method.

IMHO, there could be a marketing advantage to offering the encoded quad mix for stereo listeners
"Hear a different version of your favorite album".

An all digital QS encoder would minimize adding noise and distortion to the quad mix.

I don't know if DV knows about the existence of an all digital QS encoder.

Kirk Bayne
There's also the Involve Professional Encoder, which would be a good option for them. It's the latest RM technology, and has a mode that maximizes stereo playback without sacrificing quality in the surround encoding. I've experimented with the mode, and it works extremely well. I believe its s/n ratio is high enough to not add any perceivable noise. That's something to consider. Now, whether or not D-V is interested in going that route...

But, one more point. I don't think all of D-V's SACD customers necessarily want surround sound. There are still a lot of two-channel fanatics out there (G-d help them) who haven't been indoctrinated into the surround fold. I could see keeping the stereo layer as is for those poor, unfortunate fools...

There are still a lot of two-channel fanatics out there (G-d help them)
They live among us. o_O Hey, I was listening to a bunch of songs in stereo yesterday...but to figure out how they would best be remixed into 5.1. I'm glad that DV can satisfy all of us, those with quad systems, SACD stereo systems and just plain old CD but well mastered.

There's also the Involve Professional Encoder, which would be a good option for them. It's the latest RM technology, and has a mode that maximizes stereo playback without sacrificing quality in the surround encoding. I've experimented with the mode, and it works extremely well. I believe its s/n ratio is high enough to not add any perceivable noise. That's something to consider. Now, whether or not D-V is interested in going that route...

But, one more point. I don't think all of D-V's SACD customers necessarily want surround sound. There are still a lot of two-channel fanatics out there (G-d help them) who haven't been indoctrinated into the surround fold. I could see keeping the stereo layer as is for those poor, unfortunate fools...

and what is wrong with 2 channel ???????????

willis.jpeg

Good post @quicksrt

Not sure the Audio Fidelity BOC "Secret Treaties" would be topped in quality as a DV reissue. But a two-fer is always nice.

Do any new cars still have CD players?
Some brands (like Volvo)
still have possibility to order it as an extra. Overall I think CD is "has been" to automobile businesses. I got preview in Mercedes-Benz EQE SUV AMG on Atmos last week. It sound marvelous and I'm sure many of us will have a system as its comes available in a lower price categories cars.

Some brands (like Volvo)
still have possibility to order it as an extra. Overall I think CD is "has been" to automobile businesses. I got preview in Mercedes-Benz EQE SUV AMG on Atmos last week. It sound marvelous and I'm sure many of us will have a system as its comes available in a lower price categories cars.
The problem with streaming audio in the car is that you can't always listen to what you want that way. With a CD player, you can do just that. I've made many compilation discs, from various sources, that I can listen to, depending on my mood. My 2016 Honda HR-V has a CD player; I believe it was the last year they offered it. For a factory system, it's great sounding. I just wish I could adapt it for matrix surround.

The problem with streaming audio in the car is that you can't always listen to what you want that way. With a CD player, you can do just that. I've made many compilation discs, from various sources, that I can listen to, depending on my mood. My 2016 Honda HR-V has a CD player; I believe it was the last year they offered it. For a factory system, it's great sounding. I just wish I could adapt it for matrix surround.
LOL, I have a 2016 Honda CR-V. I agree that it sounds great.

Do any new cars still have CD players?
Not to get too far off the OP's subject here but regarding new cars with CD players; probably nowhere near as many like in the past ..starting around the late '80s when CD 1st became standard equipment in cars.
I even miss cassette. Yes, most were lousy units, especially any auto-reserve decks. Huge azimuth errors on head alignment that made them sound like AM radios😕...
But the early Lexus LS models had high quality Nakamichi units standard. Most probably still work!
I heard there's a move now to eliminate AM radio.. Keep AM, it has it's uses. For talk radio & the like.
Yes...all this does is reaffirm to me that the '90s- 2010 or so, were better overall vehicles that what is being made today in many different aspects!

Last edited:
Back